3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Dyno figures on my truck in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno figures on my truck in!

Well I went on the dyno today at Carlisle with my only power mods being a 4" exhaust and an Edge EZ, this is on an SO truck, not HO.

and finally:

275 RWHP / 515 RWTQ

This is pretty much right on with what I was thinking I'd get... just a little bit more... So I am very happy!!!

I was expecting about 250 RWHP / 500 RWTQ.

Next power mods... Injectors?
Old 07-10-2004, 10:26 PM

I noticed you have lamps in the rear bumper. How did yo install them and what type are they
Old 07-10-2004, 10:34 PM

These are just cheapie tractor trailer lights. Peterson Mfg has a million different types of lights but here are their back up lights:

http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm?cId=2&fId=8

I have the 415K. I think it was like $20 for the 2 lights, grommets and wiring harness.
You have to drill a 4.5" circle hole in the bumper to mount them like I did. I just piggy backed mine off of the factory reverse hot wire. I have to say that with my tinted rear window, it doesn't help too much. They make a great utility lamp though. Much brighter than the cargo lamp.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:06 AM

njoverkill,
Those are good numbers and I'm sure you can feel the diffence over stock! I am curious about the rpm. It seams your whole torque curve is shifted to the right about 200 rpm more than I would have expected. Maybe the EZ is effecting it because mine, with a Volumizer, drops like a rock at 3200 rpm. Yours seams to get a second wind at 3200 rpm and really doesn't shut off until after 3400 rpm Does it really wind that tight?

The Boss Hog
(Vacation time is near . . . . . . )
Old 07-11-2004, 10:02 AM

Boss Hog, definitely not right. I am pretty sure they didn't rev it out to 3600 (I told them to stop at 3200). I think they had problems getting an RPM reading so I am guessing the RPM figures are "precise" but not "accurate". What you said about shifting it over 200-300 RPMs sounds about right.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:25 AM

njoverkill,
OK, that's what I thought. Now I'm going to really go out a limb and suggest that your truck is actually putting out 40 to 50 more ft-lbs of torque than they said it was . Here is my reasoning. An "inertia" type of dyno really only measures acceleration. That means it measured how fast you accelerated the drum. Now the computer knows the mass and rotational inertia of the drum so it can calculate that horsepower needed to match the acceleration measured. Once it has horsepower, the computer simply calculates torque based on the rpm where the horsepower was recorded. If you assume the horsepower curve is accurate and shift the rpm to the left by 200 rpm, the resultant torque is higher. In your case, I'll bet the real torque peak is closer to 560 @ 2250 rpm rather than the 515 @ 2450 that your print-out shows . Based on the 460 spec for the SO plus the gain of the EZ minus the drive-line loss, 560 seams reasonable to me.

The Boss Hog
(I could be wrong, but . . . . . . . )
Old 07-11-2004, 10:28 AM

Did you go on an inertia type dyno or other?
Old 07-11-2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by njoverkill
Did you go on an inertia type dyno or other?
I went on an inertia type also. The operator was able to pickup an rpm signal off of number one fuel injector wire. If you look at my stock curve you will see the horsepower peaks almost exactly where Dodge said it would.

The Boss Hog
(Summer in Florida . . . . . . . )
Old 07-12-2004, 09:25 PM

Hey NJ! I talked to you! We spoke about your Rickson's. Me and a buddy from the DiRT list spoke to you just before you ran. Bob asked you about your Edge and I asked about your experience with the 48RE if you remember. I'm glad you've had good luck with it with all the towing you do. $1K for Alcola rims? Wow. No wonder you got the Rickson's.

A few minutes later, Bob told me you were about to run and went down there while finished up my voting in the Fun Field.

I never thought to ask you if you were on DTR. My bad.

Nice talking with you.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by 12PACK
Hey NJ! I talked to you! We spoke about your Rickson's. Me and a buddy from the DiRT list spoke to you just before you ran. Bob asked you about your Edge and I asked about your experience with the 48RE if you remember. I'm glad you've had good luck with it with all the towing you do. $1K for Alcola rims? Wow. No wonder you got the Rickson's.

A few minutes later, Bob told me you were about to run and went down there while finished up my voting in the Fun Field.

I never thought to ask you if you were on DTR. My bad.

Nice talking with you.
Hey yeah! I remember. Sorry if I was a little bit out of it. I was going to ask if you were on TDR or DTR because I saw the Geno's shirt but I was a bit loopy from not sleeping the night before.

I voted for myself on the funfield... not very sportsman like, but I mean, I was parked next to a dually Hemi (what are these guys thinking?!) and, it looked like there were only about five or six 94+ dodge "modified" trucks so I said what the heck. I wasn't even sure if I was supposed to be in modified or stock class but it doesn't really matter!

Later, I was by the Dodge tent and I grabbed a "YEAH ITS GOT A HEMI" sticker and this guy said "I'll sign that for you" and I was thinking to myself "Who the hell are you?" (haha) but later realized it was the dude from the "That thing got a Hemi?" commercial.

I'm wondering if you cut power to the transmission control unit on these Dodge's, the torque converter might be forced to lock up and you might have manually selectable 1st, 2nd and 3rd (or 1st, 2nd and OD?) ... that'd probably be a lot better for dyno runs and might be helpful for towing too?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:36 AM

but I mean, I was parked next to a dually Hemi (what are these guys thinking?!)
Andy and I were commenting about that truck also. At least it had a stick - there was another one there that had an automatic.

All I know is, I had a 2500 V10, with 75 more lb-ft than that Hemi puts out, and while it wasn't slow, it was no hot road. I can't imagine that much LESS torque in a much heavier dually.

There's a green dually I've seen around here in West Chester, just like mine, but it has a Hemi. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water.....
Old 07-15-2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by njoverkill
Hey yeah! I remember. Sorry if I was a little bit out of it. I was going to ask if you were on TDR or DTR because I saw the Geno's shirt but I was a bit loopy from not sleeping the night before.
Bob had the Geno's shirt on.....I was the good looking guy. I asked him if he bought the filter package from Geno's, but he has an aftermarket air filter so he doesn't bother.

I preregistered online, then signed in when they opened on Thursday. I put the sticker on my windshield and headed in to do some walking around. One of the vendors had a black dualie with a big box trailer behind it. I figured it HAD to be a Cummins, and was shocked to see a Hemi badge.

There were only 3 in my class (94 & 95 stock) and a CTD took first. Black & red dualier with a topper. Sharp truck. My gasser took 2nd. I took 3rd last year out of ~7 trucks, which kind of me since I was the only one with his hood up.

BTW, Bob isn't on this site (yet) but I sent him a link to this thread. He is on TDR.

I took a pic of the Hemi guy when he was posing for a pic. When I put my pics online, I'll let you know.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:58 PM

I have a similar setup and mine just dyno'd at 299hp and 554 tq. Max hp was at 3100rpm and max tq was at 2500. Torque really started to drop at 2900 rpms and hp stayed pretty constant. He backed off at just before 3200 rpms. I was shocked when I saw 299 hp...
Old 07-25-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by 12PACK
I took a pic of the Hemi guy when he was posing for a pic. When I put my pics online, I'll let you know.
I put my Carlisle pics up. They're here: http://home.comcast.net/~Acn04

Enjoy.