3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

dumping exhaust as it comes over rear axle- thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcolectd
thats how I had mine, but no muffler,no cat
how bads the drone? bareable?

pauly thanks for the pics buddy.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by paroxysym

No problem.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 PM

I have mine exiting in front of the passenger wheels on the dually through a custom staight through 5" Donaldson which is about 28inches...It rips like a chainsaw when you come onto it but otherwise it is ok...towing it sometimes drones at certain speeds....I'm looking to a secondary resonator or 5 to 6 inch tail pipe to take it out a little farther ... no soot on the truck but the pass tail light definitely has the smoked look. My buddy call my truck the dump truck because when you come onto it is louder than a straight piped dump truck. KS
Old 06-12-2008, 05:34 AM

Check out rolling big power. They make an exhaust that comes out like you want.

http://rollingbigpower.com/index.htm
Old 06-12-2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by paroxysym
how bads the drone? bareable?

The drone wasn't TOO bad. It was there and depending on what kind of person you are it may not bother you. It didn't bother me at all, but when people rode in my truck I got yelled at all the time about how annoying it was,especially in the back seat and how they couldn't hear the radio or anything I was saying
Old 06-12-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by PowerDiesel44
Check out rolling big power. They make an exhaust that comes out like you want.

http://rollingbigpower.com/index.htm
i dont see anything as far as exhaust for a 5.9?

also i been thinking of maybe running a turn-down tip right after the muffler, like muffler, then turn-down... wonder how bad the drone would be?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:56 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran mine out the side in front of the rear wheel.

This got rid of 5 feet of pipe and made room alonside the tank for an air tank. I just cut 37 inches out of my pipe, moved the muffler forward and made the turnout from the tail pipe. Then I made a mount that bolted to the frame into and existing threaded hole. The sound is not louder but it's more raspy

Here's a pic.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&d=1205096878
Old 06-12-2008, 01:33 PM

i dont want it any raspier than it already is... know the donaldson kinda took that out of it- a bit. i have a feeling dumping it with a turn-down directly after the muffler will cause alot of drone..
Old 06-12-2008, 04:53 PM

RASPY- I hope you dont tow heavy with that truck....I've melted the front of my toybox due to my exhaust pointing straight back after i put on the flatbed...i'd hate to see how that tire would react to a constant 1000+ degree blow drier???
Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 PM

when i bought my truck it had everything hacked off under the truck. all they did was put a chrome 4 inch stack on the pipe just after it turned under the cab the stack was a turn out and they just pointed to the groud. it was about 5-6 inches from the rear axle and with the windows up it was so loud in the cab on the higway it was just annoying, when i put my stacks on it was so much quiter in the cab i couldn't believe it, i even drove to work and back a few days with no radio on or nothing because it was nice and quiet
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redeyedracer
RASPY- I hope you dont tow heavy with that truck....I've melted the front of my toybox due to my exhaust pointing straight back after i put on the flatbed...i'd hate to see how that tire would react to a constant 1000+ degree blow drier???
I do tow, and the exhaust has no affect on tire temperature. It's not pointed at the tire, maybe the picture gives that impression.

The only down side is that the wheel gets some soot like the rear bumper used to. Every couple thousand miles or so I spray it with Windex and hose it off. It's an excellent mod and with a different muffler would be very quiet. As I said, it's not louder this way but more raspy. It has always been a touch loud with the MBRP muffler.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 PM

I put the FBD 5" w/ muffler no cat on mine. Left the last bend off and put a 6" tip on so It's angle right at the ground behind the rear axle a few inches higher than the bottom of the rear diff. There's a cool low drone at neighborhood speeds but anything faster than that, no drone, not even towing. It lays the smoke down low on the ground, no soot under the truck either.