3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Dual exhaust = too much flow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual exhaust = too much flow?

Anyone with experience with either the Silverline or MBRP dual exhaust sytems on their 305/555, can you tell me how the truck reacted? Did you gain/lose/maintain throughout the RMP range, or was the gain only at the top end? I'm scared of adding duals only to find I've got too much exhaust sytem and the truck loses oomph on the low end... The truck will be otherwise stock with the exception of a Scotty III.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:46 AM

Your diesel would run just fine with no exhaust! Diesels don't rely on back pressure like gas engines do. I think the reason more of us don't run duals is strictly because of the price. If you've got the $$ then get them...
Old 10-05-2004, 02:09 PM

Talking Silverline duals

I've got the duals. Love 'em. Haven't seen any others on trucks so it's nice if you want to be a little different. I guess you've seen them on dieselpowerproducts.com. They've got a nice rear view on their web site.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:42 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=42667

without a boostfooler (box), the computer will defuel if it see's an increase in boost (like from a free flowing exhaust). So, Yes, you might actually lose power. The bright side is lower egt's of course. What i did for my aftermarket instake and exhaust is bought an edge and left it on level 1

dave
Old 10-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Banned

The increase in boost (if you even get one) is so negligible that the computer won't know the difference. On my 01, I've got 4" straight pipe and a Scotty 2 with the hole cut and I'm seeing the same boost now as I did when I was stock.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:04 AM

Exhaust Mods

Originally posted by BigBlue
The increase in boost (if you even get one) is so negligible that the computer won't know the difference. On my 01, I've got 4" straight pipe and a Scotty 2 with the hole cut and I'm seeing the same boost now as I did when I was stock.
Your 100% on this issue, IMHO. There isn't enough difference to cause it to defuel. I've tried three different types of mods on mine and there hasn't been any noticeable difference and certainly not defueling. It's more of an appearance and achieving the right sound thing than anything else. Mark @ TST told me he has tried practically all the exhaust mods and on the dyno there hasn't been any difference. You'd probably have to go over 500hp, which is where you could even think about a 5" application before there would be any noticeable difference. 4" all the way out is about all you need apparently from all the posts I've seen.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:17 AM

Exhaust Mods

Originally posted by BigBlue
Your 100% on this issue, IMHO. There isn't enough difference to cause it to defuel. I've tried three different types of mods on mine and there hasn't been any noticeable difference and certainly not defueling. It's more of an appearance and achieving the right sound thing than anything else. Mark @ TST told me he has tried practically all the exhaust mods and on the dyno there hasn't been any difference. You'd probably have to go over 500hp, which is where you could even think about a 5" application before there would be any noticeable difference. 4" all the way out is about all you need apparently from all the posts I've seen.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Banned

DUALS

tobyw,

We've sold a lot of them and haven't had anyone be able to show a de-fuel situation to date! The overall flow capability is actually set by the size of the main tubes in the system which are 4 inch just like a single system so you won't see any fueling problems at all. Call us if you need any info on the exhaust we have them in aluminized, T-409 and T-304 stainless for all enviroments and price selections etc. Plus we GUARANTEE all of our prices to be the best.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 10-06-2004, 10:02 AM

I'm running just a 4" downpipe on mine, and the bottom end picked up considerable over the striaght piped stacks I have.

Unless you go to 5", your bottom should improve, or stay the same. 5" or bigger can hurt performance on the bottom end, and can sound kinda funny at stock pwer levels.

My $.02

Merrick