3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

DTT VB and converter are in...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DTT VB and converter are in...........

Well, last weekend timinva installed my converter for me. The week prior I had installed the DTT valve body. Here are my impressions of the combo...

1) With just the valve body and stock converter my shifts were very firm and nice. The truck shifted through the gears much better than with the stock VB.
2) With the converter installed I don't feel much difference from stock under light throttle. My shift firmness has softened up to almost where it was before any of the mods but it still shifts through the gears much better than before.
3) My mid-throttle shifts are much better than before. I was having some quick shifting issues at mid-throttle and the VB and a modified governor have all but eliminated those.
4) The converter usually doesn't lockup before 45 mph and will unlock at around the same mph if the truck lugs in the least bit.
5) Full throttle shifts are nice and firm and occur at 31-3200 rpm with little rpm drop between gears and the rpms definitely don't drop as much when the TC locks up.
6) Probably the best part is while towing. I only towed about 5000 lbs the other day but I swear it was like nothing was back there. With the stock converter the rpms would have to come way up just to get rolling and that is definitely not the case with the new setup. It still shifts through the gears very nicely. This is exactly what I asked for when they built the VB and TC for me.
7) I bumped the line pressure up about 5 psi yesterday which helped a little but I will pull the pan again next weekend and give it a little more. I don't need it to bang the gears really hard but I think it should be just a little firmer. I don't know why the TC would have softened the shifts up.
8) Lastly, I don't know if it's the TC,VB, or the fact that I just realized that the #5 setting on my EZ box works, but once that turbo spools up this thing flys! It seems to have much more get up and go than before all this. I can now easily powerbrake (once the turbo spools up) and I can spin those 315s with ease. I could not spin the tires before all of this.
Man I knew I should have bought more tires when they were cheap!

So, I can say that I am really happy with my purchase and although they were expensive mods they were well worth it. Now if I could only get my Westach combo EGT/Boost guage that has been on backorder for the last month and a half I'd be set for a while....

Oh ya, Thanks Tim. As others have said in the past
"Tim is da man!" Anybody in our area who needs this done should call him.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:53 PM

Which TC did you get? 89%, I presume? Glad you like it... it's on my list of things to do when I get the '05... as soon as the wallet can take the hit!
Old 08-09-2004, 02:16 PM

I'm not really sure which one I got. They just asked me about 20 questions about my truck and my intentions for it and they built it.
It's hard to spend that kind of money on a truck which is still basically new but it's worth it in the end....
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla

I don't know why the TC would have softened the shifts up.
Simply put because you aren't in the go pedal as much as before to get to the same speed, and the rpm are much lower for the same rate of acceleration. The DTT TC makes you drive with the pedal a good bit higher than the stocker

Be careful with the pressure adjustmens, without a fully built tranny you risk blowing out some seals... Call Tim inva before going higher..
HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 09-05-2006, 05:29 PM

Boy! Talk about digging up the dead!!! This topic is two years old! I've done a little to the truck since then including the full DTT setup. What's going on over in Oesterreich? Did you get snowed in AlpineRam???? Sorry if I spelled the country wrong. There's no umlaut in the english language...