3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

DTT Transmissions and Converters???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DTT Transmissions and Converters???

Does anyone have a DTT transmission in their truck? DO you like it? Is it good? I need to decide between a DTT or Goerend! Please respond asap! Thx!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave Goerend will want to know exactly how you use your truck and will suggest and build a tranny to your application. DTT is more of a here is what we do, so this is what you get.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM

I think both Companies asked me what I had in my truck, How I was planning to use it and then made recomendations. Goerend was a fair amount cheaper for the same configuration of Tranny. Dave seemed great to deal with. One of the reasons I went with DTT is there is a local DTT dealer MassDiesel that is a great shop and the owner Scott Hovey is a straight talker and will always do the right thing for his customer. I have heard the same comments about Dave but he is not 15 miles from my home. I think you will be very happy with either transmission brand. You need to decide what is best for you.
Good Luck.

One last item.. You will never regret changing out the stock tranny. Wow! what a difference!! I did mine with 89k on the truck.. It should have been the 1st thing I did.. Even before guages... It is just so dam expensive...
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM

yea i hear ya, i made up my mind, im going with a dtt tranny with a dtt tc.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

Good thread on Comp about DTT today....check it out!!!!!

Goerend is a better choice in my book.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=20539
Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 AM

I would say dave goerend knows his stuff. he would have been my 2nd choice If I didnt get an HTS. I talked to dave on the phone and he was very nice and gave honest advice to me. he didnt push anything on me at all and wasnt cocky for someone who has proabably makes alot of money per year he was very down to earth and friendly to me
Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No issues with my DTT. I think the main thing with picking a trans is finding a builder close that has a great reputation. Lets face it parts fail from time to time no matter whos they are. But when they fail how fast can you get the problem diagnosed and fixed? That to me is the key. I dont want to have to pull the whole trans and ship it cross country, and wait for a decision on what it needs. I would rather have someone close that will get me back up and running quick.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:47 AM
DTR Advertiser

I try to stay out of tranny threads mostly but I will try to put my 2 cents into this one. DTT is a custom built tranny, always has been. If you do not fill out a profile sheet for your build something is wrong. Fact is there is someone out there who can break anything built. I have upgraded or rebuilt most every major brand out there, hts and opies being the exception so far but if you think they cant fail your wrong. There are literally thousands of Dtt trannys out there a very very high percentage do exactly what they were built for everyday no problems , but being human there will be problems sometimes. So as many have said your installer is very important and should be your first link to the manufactor. I feel and have shown a properly built DTT can hold any truck out there. As far as price I can be competitive with any one out there for the same build. Tim
Old 02-21-2008, 07:12 AM

Before I got mine for the 03 from DTT I talked to Bill Kondolay for a long time about what I wanted to do with my truck. I then talked to Timinva and we came up with a good solution of parts that would handle what I needed. Heck, I went through the same thing with the injectors for the 03 too. I talked to Tim on that and he didn't just try to sell me the biggest set out there(even though there weren't many options back then)but instead we talked about what I had planned for my truck in the future and he came up with the right sticks for my application. Basically it comes down to using a supplier/installer that wants a happy customer moreso that just someone to get a bunch of money from. Using someone like Tim that is involved in the hobby makes a big difference too, I think.
I've heard good things about both companies in this thread and a couple more.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:14 AM
HOV

Having seen my own DTT build, I know they leave no stone unturned. They don't just bolt you on a TC, a VB, a piston, and accumulator, a band, etc. They completely re-work the transmission with meticulous attention to detail. The DTT master build kit has a lot of gaskets and seals that are subtly different from stock but designed for much better fluid management and longevity. I also like the fact that 6-clutch packs are installed (in the place of stock 5-clutch packs) for the standard build; I know other builders don't do that as part of the standard build unless added on.

There's a BIG difference between a built trans and a TC/VB with maybe some billet parts thrown in. For those like me who didn't know the ins-and-outs of transmission building, I think DTT is a great choice because I would have never known what to ask for.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timinva
I try to stay out of tranny threads mostly but I will try to put my 2 cents into this one. DTT is a custom built tranny, always has been. If you do not fill out a profile sheet for your build something is wrong. Fact is there is someone out there who can break anything built. I have upgraded or rebuilt most every major brand out there, hts and opies being the exception so far but if you think they cant fail your wrong. There are literally thousands of Dtt trannys out there a very very high percentage do exactly what they were built for everyday no problems , but being human there will be problems sometimes. So as many have said your installer is very important and should be your first link to the manufactor. I feel and have shown a properly built DTT can hold any truck out there. As far as price I can be competitive with any one out there for the same build. Tim
You know your stuff and everything you write here makes perfect sense.

However, not all DTT builders are as great as you! Seriously, i've spoken to 2 different DTT builder in the southern US and each were on the DTT bandwagon so bad its not funny.

Price competitive? maybe with you or the DTT guy in TN building it....but not with everyone else. Not all DTT builders charge the same amount....drastic difference!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Basically it comes down to using a supplier/installer that wants a happy customer moreso that just someone to get a bunch of money from.
You got that right!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Basically it comes down to using a supplier/installer that wants a happy customer moreso that just someone to get a bunch of money from. Using someone like Tim that is involved in the hobby makes a big difference too, I think.
I've heard good things about both companies in this thread and a couple more.
EXACTLY!!!

Which is why I will continue to use Tim Barber at TRE Diesel, for all my diesel tranny needs.

Perfectly happy with my DTT...but even more happy with the Excellent service of Tim.

The installer/builder makes the difference!
Chris
Old 02-21-2008, 04:45 PM

I had good luck for a while with my DTT but eventually fried one of their converters after 1 1/2 years, Tim was my builder and a great guy to deal with but i wasent to happy with Dtt's customer service in which my truck was down for 3 weeks getting my converter rebuilt, instead of being able to swap out converters and be down for one nite of my own time I had to pull the converter winch my truck out of the shop and leave on a trailer for 3 weeks and then roll it back in to reinstall the rebuilt conveter. So i think i'll be dealing with Goerend now.

Brett

Quick Reply: DTT Transmissions and Converters???