3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

DTT Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTT Shift Kit

Has anyone used the DTT shift kit? If so, what are your thoughts? Do you think it was a good investment? How easy/hard was it to install? Would you do it again? I called DTT and they said are custom made for each application and not any different then buying a valve body from them. Basically, I save on them not having to install it on a valve body.

Thanks,
D
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM

I can tell you that if its from DTT then its top quality and will be better than any other "Shift kit" by a mile!!

John
Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much does one cost?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve
How much does one cost?
$199 It look like it comes with a new band strut and anchor too.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 AM

I finally decided to go with the DTT shift kit. Overall I am not very happy with it. I initial thought when I opened up the box was “this is what I paid all that money for”, but I figured that it was a custom kit. Then I looked at the instructions, which were very poor. Since all the comments I had read about DTT all praised their customer service I called them to discuss the installation. I Talked to Bill who basically gave me different directions then what was covered by the limited directions that were supplied. If I had started the installation without having called them first and following their direction I would have the incorrectly installed the shift kit. Once the installation was complete I took the truck out for a test drive. Initially I thought all was well. The shifts were crisper and more noticeable, but as I slowed down at a stop sign the truck made a big clunk noise. I found that the clunk noise one happened when the truck had reached 3rd gear and the then decelerated slowly. Under heavy breaking it did not make this noise. I immediately called bill at DT again to discuss this. He told me that the clunking noise was 3rd gear releasing. He told me to shim the rear bolt on the TV actuator servo and up the voltage on the voltage regulator to about 4.9 V, he said that that should fix the issue. I did as instructed but the problem did not go away. Again I called Bill and he basically told me that about 50% of the trucks do that. I was concerned that the clunking noise would have adverse effects on the transmission and the truck as a whole. Bill told me that it was not hurting anything. This clunking noise seems to be getting more pronounced and I no longer believe that this is not hurting something.
Does anyone have another ideas or experiences on what this may be?
Short of removing the shift kit and going back to the stock configuration has anyone had any experiences with this and have any ideas on what I can do to fix it?
Also, if I go back to the original configuration does anyone have a good method of how to seal the holes I had to drill in the stock valve body?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you get the upgraded gov solenoid along with the kit? That will cause excessively hard upshifts and down shifts if it does not function correctly. The line pressure will flood the gov circuit and the OE solenoid cannot handle it. Something else that might be contributing.

The clunking noise happens on mine as well with a TransGo, its simply the 3rd gear releasing and taking the slack out of the transmissions drive train. It is much more pronounced under slow deceleration. Using the brake more aggressively at stops make sit disappear. If your clearances are not on the tight side it will be more pronounced.

Like Bill said it should not be a issue to hurt the trans, but, since you can hear it and I can't I will defer. Ever transmission is unique in its operation due to the electronics. They all seem to need individual tweaking to get them what one feels is correct. IMO you are much better off with the clunk that you can minimize than without the shift kit.

Good luck and hope you can find a solution that satisfies.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM

Thanks. My problem is that my trans did not have this issue until after I installed the kit. It is not a soft clunk either, it is a very noticeable jerk. The shift kit has only been on for 3 weeks and I now think that it is stressing the rear U-joint, because it sounds like it is starting to squeal when ever I start accelerating. The funny thing is it will not squeal if I put the transmission in neutral and coasting. I feel that the stress of the transmission downshifting from third may have caused this new issue.
I also installed a GM style gov Solenoid at the same time, any chance that may play a role?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 AM

The GM governor assemblies can cause that. I think that's what no 6 oh no.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TD6676
The GM governor assemblies can cause that. I think that's what no 6 oh no.
The upgraded gov solenoids USUALLY fix the hard up and down shifts, not cause them. Every trans is a bit different to work on and adjust, sometimes it just takes changing things until it likes it.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:34 PM

Have you done a pressure test? sometimes if the pressure screw is mis-adjusted, the pressure will be to high and the shifts will be a harse from that!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by dionisios
Thanks. My problem is that my trans did not have this issue until after I installed the kit. It is not a soft clunk either, it is a very noticeable jerk. The shift kit has only been on for 3 weeks and I now think that it is stressing the rear U-joint, because it sounds like it is starting to squeal when ever I start accelerating. The funny thing is it will not squeal if I put the transmission in neutral and coasting. I feel that the stress of the transmission downshifting from third may have caused this new issue.
I also installed a GM style gov Solenoid at the same time, any chance that may play a role?
Mine has been clunking since I left DTT's shop in Abbotsford 6 years ago, it is noticable and sometimes annoying, but so far no ill effects.

I spoke to Bill(DTT) on Monday, different subject, he really needs to get rid of that American cell phone, it cut us off like six times.... hard to give good Customer Service when your cell service sucks.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys, I spoke with Stefan on Tuesday. He said to try removing the GM style Solenoid and put the stock one back on. he said that he has seen trucks have issues with the GM solenoid. If that does not work then he said to send the entire valve body to them to check it out. We'll see what happens.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:01 AM

Is the problem solved?
// nilsson