3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

DSS or Thuren track bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For my 98' 12v I went with Don's bent Steering Kit, Don's Track Bar, DSS Steering Sab., and DSS track bar relocation bracket. Have not driven the truck yet as it's still being built. But I'm sure it will drive VERY nice with that combo under the fron end.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 AM
wap

Great info guys, I guess I now need to figure out whos sector support to go with.

I havent looked into defiants but I will google it right now.

If you guys know who makes the best support let me know, but it looks like I will do that instead of the track bar right now.

I may have mentioned this, but just to make sure, if it does make a diff I got a 2" leveling kit on my truck now. I was considering goin to 4-4.5"s but I think I will leave it like it is now.

And another thing, I plan on installing bistien 5100s too.

I know they are good shocks but aside from spending a rand on some fox's or kings, are there any other options out there I may need to consider?

I may start another thread on this.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay away from Stay-A-Way....oops, I meant Sway-A-Way.

The Ranchos, Pro-Comps, Fabtechs, etc. with rezzys are all basically marketing garbage for the most part....you get what you pay for.

I see your truck is a dually.....if you don't plan on hammering the truck, you could probably get away with 2.0's....Fox or Bilstein 7100. Just make sure whoever you get them from revalves them for your truck.

2.0's are roughly $180/shock, 2.5's are around $300 each.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:23 PM
wap

Cowhand, since I have been a member here I have noticed you (among others on this board) are more of a suspension guru. Just like some are audio adn some are power.

So what you say carries a lot of weight to me.

I know the 5100s would be an improvement but you are sayin with an otherwise stock suspenion it would be worth double the price to get the 7100s or Fox's?

I just dont see how a 1200 dollar set of shocks can be that much better then say a 300 dollar set. Especially when I am running stock srings. That may change one day, but thats how its gona be for quite a while.

If it is ok, I may start PMing you with some more specific questions, I only want to do this once but that may be impossible because one day I MIGHT do a 6" lift and I know the shock I get now will not work.

Also, I see the differance in the SSSSS and the DSS, but I dont see a diff in the defiants and the DSS as far as what the accomplish.

Anybody want to tell me wich out of the three is the best and why?
Also I can make my own brackets to drop my sway bar if needed.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:44 PM

I would add that since you have your front end lifted 2", the front axle will be pulled towards the driver side until you do something about the track bar length. I'd install one of Don's track bars before I did anything else.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by wap
Cowhand, since I have been a member here I have noticed you (among others on this board) are more of a suspension guru. Just like some are audio adn some are power.

So what you say carries a lot of weight to me.

I know the 5100s would be an improvement but you are sayin with an otherwise stock suspenion it would be worth double the price to get the 7100s or Fox's?

I just dont see how a 1200 dollar set of shocks can be that much better then say a 300 dollar set. Especially when I am running stock srings. That may change one day, but thats how its gona be for quite a while.

If it is ok, I may start PMing you with some more specific questions, I only want to do this once but that may be impossible because one day I MIGHT do a 6" lift and I know the shock I get now will not work.

Also, I see the differance in the SSSSS and the DSS, but I dont see a diff in the defiants and the DSS as far as what the accomplish.

Anybody want to tell me wich out of the three is the best and why?
Also I can make my own brackets to drop my sway bar if needed.
Well....thanks, I just hate to see folks spend their money twice like I did way back when. Feel free to PM me any time you have a question.

As far as shocks, there is a pretty significant difference between a 5100 and a 7100/Fox 2.0. Is it worth the cost difference? Hard to answer that, I guess it depends alot on what you're looking for as far as ride quality and off road capability. If you'd be happy with a slightly firmer OEM ride and light off road capability, I'd say stick with the 5100's. Most bang for the buck until you start changing spring rates and working the suspension a little harder. The 5100's are less than a $300 gamble, and if you don't like them and decide you want something else, you can always sell them and recover part of your investment.

Like you said, if you decide to go with a lift later, you'll need new shocks, so no sense in dropping the money now for a 7100/2.0 unless you plan on leaving it at OEM ride height.

As far as the Steering Box Support Brace, I have the DSS on my 96, but I like Defiant's better. Lower profile, no welds, and the pillow block and adapter nut are captured between the brace and the steering box. If anything comes loose, you won't lose it. I'm also not a big fan of sway bar drops, I prefer longer end links.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM

I just got the Defiant steering box support. It is extremely well designed. Plus Paul Fox at Defiant has some of the best customer service I have ever had. I bought a $170 part, and he treated me like I had just spent thousands of dollars with him. Next time I need suspension components, I know exactly where I am going. Defiant also sells Don's track bar.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
Stay away from Stay-A-Way....oops, I meant Sway-A-Way.

The Ranchos, Pro-Comps, Fabtechs, etc. with rezzys are all basically marketing garbage for the most part....you get what you pay for.

I see your truck is a dually.....if you don't plan on hammering the truck, you could probably get away with 2.0's....Fox or Bilstein 7100. Just make sure whoever you get them from revalves them for your truck.

2.0's are roughly $180/shock, 2.5's are around $300 each.
So what's wrong with the Sway-A-Way shocks?

Looking to buy a lift soon and heard nothing but good about them
Old 10-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Yeah, me too. Lorenz uses them in his kits....
Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by btolenti
Yeah, me too. Lorenz uses them in his kits....
That's what I'm looking to buy
Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM

They don't work near as well as Fox or Kings.

Without getting into the finite technical points, there's a reason why most racers run King or Fox. One of the CORR Pro trucks (sponsored by SAW) was running Kings with SAW reservoirs. Heard they've got SAW's on it now, I can only speculate that they made some changes to the shock piston.

If you're looking at the 2.25...IMO they're a waste of money, especially for an emulsion shock. They don't work that much better than the 2.0 to justify the cost, and for a few dollars more, you can get a 2.5 with a rezzy that'll work way better.

In the 2.25 was such a hot ticket, don't you think Carli, Thuren and KORE would offer them? They're almost as bad an idea as a 560# coil....
Old 10-14-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by megajoltman
Looking to buy a lift soon and heard nothing but good about them
Mostly, if not always, from folks who have nothing to compare them to except the junk they replaced.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:13 PM

I have never heard anything bad about Kings, but have heard some people that didn't like the foxes - could be that they weren't valved properly though.

I would really like to know what makes the Swayaways worse than the foxes. I was considering going to the Lorenz kit with swayaways....

For those that don't need a "performance suspension", I would think that any shocks are better than the stockers.... I would think that Bilstein's would work just fine for a majority of the people on this board.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=lazarsmith

This may have been a thread somebody was looking for about the SSSSS and different track bar bushings. So far im very pleased with it after 3000 miles. No front end popping. Everything is real tight. I moved up to 35'' BFG Muds now too.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 AM
wap

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=lazarsmith

This may have been a thread somebody was looking for about the SSSSS and different track bar bushings. So far im very pleased with it after 3000 miles. No front end popping. Everything is real tight. I moved up to 35'' BFG Muds now too.
How are those tires still workin out for you??

Quick Reply: DSS or Thuren track bar?