3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Droping Receiver Hitch ~10"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Droping Receiver Hitch ~10"

I was wondering if any of you wonderfully skilled member have either done, or know someone who can lower my receiver hitch by about 10" My hitch, as seen in many pictures, puts the ball about 4-5" below the bottom of the 2" receiver. This is not changable given that the company does not make a lower drop. Does anyone think that they could either make a 10" drop (whilst still retaining my 20,000lb. capacity) or does anyone think they could make, or know someone who does make, a bracket that would drop the entire receiver down about 10"??

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
I was wondering if any of you wonderfully skilled member have either done, or know someone who can lower my receiver hitch by about 10" My hitch, as seen in many pictures, puts the ball about 4-5" below the bottom of the 2" receiver. This is not changable given that the company does not make a lower drop. Does anyone think that they could either make a 10" drop (whilst still retaining my 20,000lb. capacity) or does anyone think they could make, or know someone who does make, a bracket that would drop the entire receiver down about 10"??

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Let's see--------20,000 pound capacity is allot to ask for if going with a 10" drop Reciever! There would have to be a fair amount of angle bracing to make a 10" drop come close to that capacity! I'm sure that any welder that is local to you could fab something up, but I have never seen anything like that before. I posted on the other thread about my brother's 10" drop hitch. It works great and can handle 12,000 pounds at 800 tounge weight I think.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:41 PM

That's why I think something like the F-650 Pickup's receiver drop is in order. That way you don't have to angle-brace the ball plate.
Attached Thumbnails Droping Receiver Hitch ~10"-f650-16.jpg  
Old 12-01-2006, 06:45 PM

Exclamation

Ohhhhh Man please dont do that! That is terrible looking!----What are you towing that is 20,000 on the Hitch anyway's???????
Old 12-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
Ohhhhh Man please dont do that! That is terrible looking!----What are you towing that is 20,000 on the Hitch anyway's???????
I didn't mean making my rear look JUST like that. I meant that was the IDEA of the drop so that I don't need to have a monstrosity of a drop hitch. I will never get to 20,000 which is why I have a 20,000lb. hitch. My 32' trailer weighs ~7,000lbs. empty plus 4,000lbs. of car plus about 3,000 lbs. of crap (quad, compressor, generator, tires, jack, gear, etc.)
Old 12-01-2006, 06:50 PM

D.wiggs I sent you a pm a while back about custom rear bumpers that would be your best bet
Old 12-01-2006, 06:51 PM

Yes, but they did not involve a drop hitch, plus I had my eye on the Road Armor. Maybe they could fab something up?!?!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:52 PM

OK------thank the good Lord man!!!! I love the way your Truck Looks and didnt want to see anything Hiddeouse like that!!!!! I would have a local shop make one up for you and use a WD Hitch with it and you should be fine!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:54 PM

Has anyone ever thought about making an offset in the Tounge of the trailer to accomodate for a couple of inches???? I bet that it would work and not look bad at all!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:54 PM

OK------thank the good Lord man!!!! I love the way your Truck Looks and didnt want to see anything Hiddeouse like that!!!!! I would have a local shop make one up for you and use a WD Hitch with it and you should be fine!
The hitch I have is deifnitely the one I am sticking with since it has air ride and I paid an arm and a leg for it! I am trying to brainstorm as how to best get the drop with the least intrusive look.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:55 PM

Has anyone ever thought about making an offset in the Tounge of the trailer to accomodate for a couple of inches???? I bet that it would work and not look bad at all!
Like a mini Gooseneck! Now there is a GREAT idea. I just wonder if there is enough structural support on the trailer tongue to handle it! NICE THINKING!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:57 PM

You know I would really think that as long as you incorporated a piece of say 1/4 in plate under the offset that there would be more than enough support for the weight of the trailer!!!! I kinda like the idea myself now that we are talking about it.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

I agree. It's a whole lot easier to be welding on the trailer than the truck!!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:00 PM

You know I would really think that as long as you incorporated a piece of say 1/4 in plate under the offset that there would be more than enough support for the weight of the trailer!!!! I kinda like the idea myself now that we are talking about it.
Yes, that was definitely very good thinking. I only ever though about it in the sense of, when I was going to buy a F-650 Pickup 4x4, the only way I could have towed a GN trailer was to either modify the hell out of the trailer so that the neck stuck up about 2 more feet, or have it somehow hook onto a receiver-style plate that came from the receiver hitch. I don't know why I never though of modding a Tag trailer to a mini GN. Brilliant!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:03 PM

they do make a drop hitch and it's rated at 20,000lb like your reciever any thing you do to your stock hitch it will never carry 20,000...[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Droping Receiver Hitch ~10"