3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Drop In Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop In Filters

I am interested in a drop in filter because i want to keep my truck stock, as not to affect warr. or go to court over after market air filter if an issue were ever to come up. K +N rep seems to have been bad . What about air Raid , Good silicon #s ? Easy to service ? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:46 AM

If you are not dramatically increasing the performance of your vehicle, you may want to consider just keeping the stock filter. The reason I say this is, my '03, HO, is stock, other than a Magnaflow muffler and an AFE Proguard-7 air intake system with a Torque Tube and the silencer ring removed.

I have removed the AFE system a number of times for trips to the dealer for warranty work. I don't want to give them anymore reasons than absolutely necessary to deny warranty coverage. Although, the dealers around here are very accepting of aftermarket air filter systems. The big thing is, I don't notice any loss of performance with the stock system. To tell you the truth, there might be an ever so slight increase, when you wind it up, a bit. I know it sounds wierd, but that's the feeling I get.

Yesterday, just before taking the truck into the dealer to check, again, for a noisy injector, I stopped by the local Cummins (Rocky Mtn.) dealer and picked up a new Fleetguard A/F. With my Cummins Power Booster, 10% discount, the new filter only cost me $14.20. That's much cheaper than I thought it would be. I was expecting a $30.00 bill.

The thing I do like about the AFE/Torque Tube system with the silencer ring removed, is the turbo sound. It is loud!!! Sounds like the intake on an F-16 as it's taking off, down the runway. Personally, I like the sound. But, I have my doubts about how well the Proguard-7 actually filters and, as I've said before, I have noticed no improvement in performance and, possibly, a very slight loss. You may be spending a lot of money and not getting "bang for your buck".

While at May Madness, this year, I ran across a company that builds a fresh, cool air intake that sounds like it may really work. He drills a hole in the bottom of the stock airbox, runs a 4" heavy-duty reinforced rubber duct (hose) down behind the right front headlight. It picks up cool, fresh air and delivers it to the air box. The theory seems to be that most aftermarket boxes ingest a lot of hot air, especially when towing. This company says, "Cold intake air increases air density, the ECM then responds by increasing fueling, which increases horsepower and torque". They had a new Dodge, with a ton of guages on it to verify that their system works better.

If you are interested in reading more about this system, the name of the company is Performance System Manufacturing, LLC (www.psmbuick.com). I'm, in no way, involved with this company, nor do I own any of their products. But, I am considering it. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about and was able to back it up with documentation. This is another option that appears to work.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 06-01-2005, 10:33 AM

Sounds interesting, but the site makes no mention of a kit for our rigs. I was actually thinking of doing this mod myself, as I still have the cold are tube from my Volant intake system sitting around somewhere... I have my factory air box with an Amsoil TS189 filter installed laying around as well.. I was just going to drill a bunch of 3/4" holes in the bottom of the box, but I like the idea of a 4" tube taking a direct feed of air from the front of the vehicle.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:59 PM

We have the aFe drop in filters with Pro-Gaurd 7 material on close out, as we are only going to carry the Scotty units with foam filters.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:25 PM

I am using an old style aFe (pre-dates the ProGuard 7) drop in with good oil analysis results. Silicon numbers regularly in the 2-3 range.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:03 PM

Buffalo
I did the air box mod and I have the AFE ProGuard 7 drop in filter.
See my Gallery for pics