3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Draining the Pumpkins

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Draining the Pumpkins

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm wanting to change the fluid in the front and rear differentials. Where the heck's the drain? The fill's easy enough to find, but I can't figure out how to drain the old fluid out. The Daimler/Chrysler manual says absolutely NOTHING about doing this, just pages and pages of shimming and gear lash issues.

Draining the Manual Transmission required removal of the bottom PTO Cover bolt, so I tried removing one of the bottom Differential Cover bolts hoping that would drain the fluid, to no avail.

Help!

Thanks in advance...

Pat
Old 03-01-2005, 08:48 PM

You have to pull the cover. Use a big pan, loosen all the bolts then open at the bottom to drain. Then remove the cover, make sure all looks ok. Use a new gasket and reverse the process.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:55 PM

Draining the Pumpkins

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid that was probably the case. Do the boys at Dodge have some problem with installing a freakin' drain plug? Argh.

Sounds like a project for another evening. Now I have to swing by the dealer and buy a couple of gaskets.

Thanks again,

Pat
Old 03-01-2005, 09:09 PM

Unless the gasket is trashed, you should be able to reuse it without any issues.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:50 PM

The gasket is reuseable, it's a nice piece. I have heard of some guys breaking off bolts, so if you are ham fisted use a torque wrench.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Chapter President

PC, fill out your signature at the bottom with more specific info on your truck so we know how to help you better.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:33 PM

Draining the Pumpkins

Thanks for the advice. I think it'd probably be best to go ahead and at least have the new gaskets in stock. I'd hate to pull the diff covers off and THEN find out I need new gaskets!

I updated my sig line with details on my truck. Thanks for the tip.

Pat
Old 03-02-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pcarnathan - when you see the reusable gasket, you'll realize why we're saying you don't need to get a new one. They are great, and I don't see needing to replace it anytime soon.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:33 AM

Re: Draining the Pumpkins

Originally posted by PCarnathan
Thanks for the advice. I think it'd probably be best to go ahead and at least have the new gaskets in stock. I'd hate to pull the diff covers off and THEN find out I need new gaskets!

I updated my sig line with details on my truck. Thanks for the tip.

Pat
Bingo, I never had to replace the ones on my '02, but I always had an extra pair just in case. They are awsome gaskets, but I rather be safe then sorry
Old 03-02-2005, 12:11 PM

Re: Draining the Pumpkins

Originally posted by PCarnathan
Thanks for the advice. I was afraid that was probably the case. Do the boys at Dodge have some problem with installing a freakin' drain plug? Argh.

Sounds like a project for another evening. Now I have to swing by the dealer and buy a couple of gaskets.

Thanks again,

Pat
I did this on my '79 Ford that I off roaded pretty much weekly. I drilled and tapped a 1/4"NPT in the bottom of the Dana 60's, and added a socket head pipe plug that set flush to just recessed.

Worked very well.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:41 PM

Draining the Pumpkins

Actually, I dig the idea of installing my own drain plug(s). However, that sounds like something I ought to do after the warranty is gone.

On second thought, pulling the cover off the differential will give me the opportunity to sand blast the covers and repaint them. For some reason I'm getting a lot of surface rust down underneath the truck. I live in Southern California, so road salt shouldn't be an issue. Of course, we've had a great deal of rain lately but I wouldn't think that would be cause this sort of thing.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I appreciate everyone's ideas on this little problem. And the response time! I asked the question, and I had my first answer less than a half-hour later.

Cool stuff.

Pat
Old 03-02-2005, 05:10 PM

Here's another way to drain easier and keep it cooler

cover
Old 03-04-2005, 11:59 AM

Draining the Pumpkins

Balboa Dodge here in San Diego told me there are no gaskets - just RTV. Worthington Dodge in Carlsbad sold me the rear one and is ordering me the front one. Sheesh.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:54 PM

I noticed in my maintenance book that Sched A does not list changing the fluid at 15k, but Sched B does?!?! In fact, there is no mention of changing the fluid at all by Sched A.