3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

DPPI Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DPPI Exhaust Question

After reading just about every thread in the 3rd Gen Aftermarket section on exhausts, I think I've come up with more questions than answers and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Regarding the DPPI exhaust systems:

1) Is it a DPPI system or a MBRP system? I read a thread on here that said it was a DPPI system in an MBRP box, but the DPPI website is showing some pictures of an MBRP system and some of another system (which I assume is the DPPI system). Which is it? It appears to me that it's MBRP being marketed by DPPI. Either way is fine, but I like to know what I'm getting.

2) Is the 5" tip welded on or bolted on? Some pictures on their website show a rolled edge welded on tip and some pictures show a double wall bolt on tip. I don't like bolt on tips so if that's what they provide I'll delete the tip and have one welded on at my local muffler shop.

3) Is there a muffler delete option available? I'd REALLY like to try the straight pipe thing. If I don't like it I'll order a muffler.

I figured all of you guys running the DPPI system might be able to help me out....or maybe Mark will drop in and offer some clarification.

I wish Dodge would not have used that goofy offset muffler they have so I could just swap the muffler out or put a straight pipe in and be done with it. But, since they didn't, I'm exploring my options on a complete system.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:24 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hoss,

The DPPI system is made by MBRP. They are the same. Very high quality and easy to install.

The five inch tip clamps on. It slides over the 4 inch pipe and can be set where you like it. It is a very nice tip! If you don't like the clamp methd you could weld it. The clamp is part of the tip and looks very nice, and it is stainless.

Wetspirit
Old 05-20-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW: My 5" tip looks like crap. Unfortunately, it's now welded on. It's chipped from rocks, and is turning yellowish brown. Oh well, looked good for a thousand or so miles anyway. Just don't take it off road. Sounds awesome though
Old 05-20-2004, 05:56 PM

1) The system is made by MBRP to DPPI's specs

2) The tip is bolt on, rolled edge. I like the bolt on because you can get the "stick out" just the way you like it. I just turned the clamp up on mine so you can't see it. Go ahead and weld it on if you like. I like to be able to remove it if it gets damaged.

3) Yes, there is a muffler delete option, but if it was me, I would order the regular system AND the muffler delete pipe just in case it was too loud after a while.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:47 PM

if you wanna try "STRAIGHT PIPE", order a mufler eliminator.......thats what i did. but beware, its LOUD!!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:12 PM

I thought about the muffler eliminator thingy from Geno's, but I couldn't see paying $96 for a short piece of curved pipe.

I contacted DPPI about ordering a system with both a muffler AND a straight pipe, but I haven't heard back yet so I'm not making any decisions yet.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 PM

Hoss,

My DPPI system that I ordered from them came in a MBRP box. It has the MBRP logo on the tip. That's okay with me, I was a bit disappointed in the fact that I got another brand from a storefront that sold them. I actually thought I got ripped off and coulda paid less for it elsewhere...until I looked...I am happy. Mark answered all my questions (5 times worth of phone calls) in a timely fashion and was good to work with.

It does have a terrible drone at 2200 rpm. I think it might be better, but then again, we've got the AC on and the windows rolled up. It's on my wife's truck, so you can imagine the looks, comments, and pleasing nights of "not tonight dear," I received from her after she experienced the first pass through the dreaded drone section of the rpms. She thought she had broken something. I drove it and was rather miffed that it had a drone.

My wife has gotten a bit used to it and is "learning" to drive it to keep it out of that 2200 zone. If she keeps her foot out of it and runs it right up to 2100 before the auto shifts, she's okay. If she gets on it, it will drone out on you.

If you can learn to live with it, it'll be fine. Just be forewarned that is does occur. I read everybody's posts on it and kinda sluffed it off, like it wouldn't happen to mine. Well, it did. I think we're learning to live with it and will be okay with it in the end. It's kinda like for around $500, I better live with it, because they won't take it back and I trashed the stock system, so I'd have to shell out more money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the product, the quality of the product, just not the side effect of it. It sounds great at idle, great up to 2100 and then past 2300. It looks good and went in easily.

I haven't talked to Mark at DPPI about it at all, because, to be honest, I don't think there's much he can do about it. No slam on him or DPPI at all. If I were ready to buy one all over again, I'd buy it from him, no problem.

Do let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

Toby
Old 05-20-2004, 10:32 PM

That sounds worse than it actually is, I guess....

If I were to purchase an exhaust product again, I would still get the same one from Mark @ DPPI. It went in easily. His prices are within pennies of other places that will just exhaust systems out (no vendors on here, mind you.) He talked to me several times about how it fit, muffler selection, tip selection, etc.

The tip I got is a double walled 5" bolt on one. The bolt is SS and looks like it belongs there. I might get it welded on eventually, but that thing definitely ain't coming off!

Talk to me in 4 months and I bet I won't even hear the drone. Then again, I don't drive it.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:05 AM
jt

I have the dual system, with the the air filter and baffle out of the intake system, I don't hear the drone.

James
Old 05-21-2004, 08:52 AM

PHX_ATC,

Thanks for the heads up on the drone. I have to admit that this concerns me because when I'm cruising down the highway at 70 mph my truck is running right around 2200 RPM's. I don't think either me or my wife would enjoy listening to the drone for extended amounts of time on long trips.

Do you think a different muffler would cure the problem? I had thought of buying a straight pipe system from DPPI because of the good reports I've heard on fit and finish, and then putting a 34" Donaldson muffler on it. I've heard good things about that muffler. I wonder if that would get rid of the drone?? Then again, I might like it straight piped.....although I would imagine that would have even more drone.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:30 AM

Hoss - a different muffler might cure it. I have talked to another member who has experienced the same problem and a "cure" that was offered was a second inline muffler. He declined to do it. I would try the Donaldson muffler in there and see what happens. I just seems that if I put 2 inline mufflers, that would pretty much have the same restriction as the stocker and that's what I was trying to get away from. I'm not sure whether or not the Donaldson muffler has the right inlet/outlet setup, but I think it does. There's several links and threads on here about it.

My wife is pretty tolerant of me doing wild stuff to her truck and actually likes my 2001 with a straight pipe in it. That's all I did to it, just cut out the muffler and resonator and it sounds awesome. So...you might try the straight pipe approach first, then if that doesn't appeal to you both, the Donaldson muffie might be next.

The straight pipe in the 01 isn't louder at all with the windows up. It's when the windows are down and then it's really louder! Cool loud though. You can blow small dogs and children right off the sidewalk with it!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:59 AM

I've wondered about that actually. Seems to me that with the windows up a straight pipe system wouldn't sound much different in the cab as a stock system provided you don't have any exhaust leaks....unless there is drone. I think I'll have to give it a try and see.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:27 AM

Let me know. I might have to hack off her muffler in the middle of the night. I think I'll do it right before we go on vacation and then have to pronounce the "I don't hear anything different honey" claim the entire trip!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:50 AM

I called DPPI about a straight pipe system. Funny thing is they actually charge MORE for the straight pipe system because they send it with both the straight pipe AND the muffler. Corey with DPPI told me they do that because most people who order the straight pipe end up coming back and asking for the muffler.

Decisions, decisions, decisions......
Old 05-21-2004, 10:56 AM

Mine has the dual system on it. The drone was bad at 2100-2200 rpm as stated earlier. I added the Maganflow 20 inch unit and it is much better and no drone.

Quick Reply: DPPI Exhaust Question