3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Doug Leno Contact?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doug Leno Contact?

Does anyone have contact info for Doug Leno. I'm having problems with my rail gauge and when I told Pricol what it was doing they said they would have Doug call me, but that was a week ago.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by omaharam
Does anyone have contact info for Doug Leno. I'm having problems with my rail gauge and when I told Pricol what it was doing they said they would have Doug call me, but that was a week ago.
Doug has tried his best to help me the past 6 months, but my personal feeling is that DiPricol doesn't want to take responsibility for their under-performing product.

I'm actually on my 3rd rail pressure gauge harness variation that Doug politely asked DiPricol to make for me. Each harness request was undoubtedly an exercise of jumping through major hoops and pulling teeth for Doug judging by how long it took for DiPricol to respond each time. I will give Danin the fact that they moved offices early in the year.

Anyhow, each harness was a progressive noticeable improvement. The third harness was actually just linking the first 2 harnesses together in series. Regardless, the gauge still goes wonkers, but it takes longer to get there. I emailed Doug about this latest result and I think he was just as frustrated as I was at this point. That was May 17th and I haven't heard anything since.

Apparently, the gauge works fine for "stock CP3" trucks or in my case when I ran a Floor It Stage 2 CP3 with a stock FCA, which kind of defeats its purpose for helping tune modified trucks.

Either way one looks at it, it is pretty unacceptable performance for a $2xx performance gauge.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
having problems with my rail gauge
I had issues with mine when it was new and they wanted nothing to do with me.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 AM

they meaning Danin? let me know about stuff like that. We've had some suprises, thats for sure, but still committed to solving this. I've told Danin specifically that modified or dual CP3s is the very audience that needs this gauge, so we WILL get this solved. meanwhile I was not aware that anyone with an unstable gauge had been turned away; thats not acceptable.

PM me
Old 06-16-2009, 11:21 AM

Works fine on twin cp3's....as long as the FCA's are stock...

I will run triples before I run another modded FCA.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:23 AM

hmm; so you have seen a modded FCAs produce gauge instability?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 AM

Yes Doug!

I gave up on it when I moved to two stock pumps...because the gauge worked as flawless as it did on one stock pump. I am not a big fan of modded pumps anyways...for other reasons.

I tired moving the ground, power source, cable routing, etc etc...and I think you hooked me up with another harness back a couple years...

Love the gauge...works great...just needs a stock FCA.

I think Modded FCA's have to move so much to meter fuel at a constant level that it creates some sort of dirty signal...and spazzzzzzs everything up.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 PM

the "modded FCA versus dual pumps with stock FCA" data point is great info and will help tremendously. now I know what to do!

gauge happiness aside, how come you are not a fan of modded pumps?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 PM

Well...first of all...it MESSES my RAIL GAUGE UP! lol. How can you tune blind?

I only was able to make 17 more hp (peak) with a Stage 2. Maybe I HAD A BUM PUMP...but a little more attention to tuning and a newer OEM pump almost hung right with it.

Also...I don't need or want the aggressive preesure ramp up all the time. Electronics can give it to you...or take it away with Stock FCA's...but you are kinda stuck with it when you have a modded FCA/pump.

Small other dislikes were slight surge...and irratic idle.

Three pumps will be the ticket for those who need more fuel than two.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Doug
Original poster here. The original gauge I bought had some fluctuation problems with a stage 1 cp3. You had Danin send me a new gauge and it worked great for over a year. Installed a stage 3 pump and when test driving, the gauge pegged over to the right at max sweep and the truck rattled horrible and then died. With no gauge hooked up the truck runs fine with no rattle. If I hook the gauge up, it immediately starts to rattle and the truck dies. The gauge is stuck at full sweep and never moves. They sent me a partial harness that is used for dual pumps and that did not change anything.
Please help.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Works fine on twin cp3's....as long as the FCA's are stock...
Not for me...

I have twin stock CP3's with stock FCA's.

BTW, Doug, this is Julius. I changed my screen-name a few months back.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 PM

omaharam: they are trying to solve the wrong problem. first step is to unplug the rail harness from the back of the gauge. problem still there? if so, proceed:

Then take your harness connection apart (under the hood) at the rail and look for bent/dirty connectors. some of these harnesses can fail internally if there is no stress relief -- meaning they flop around as you drive. clean and re-position contacts as required (do NOT use dialectric grease. use an electronic parts / contact cleaner). re-assemble dry and use tie wraps in a criss-cross pattern to secure male and female together and then make sure the combination is secure, the cables are not stressed, etc.

make sure the direct connection to the sensor is also free from stress; check its connectors too,along with the mating connectors on the gauge harness that plug into it.

trucks don't rattle and spit with a malfunctioning gauge. Well if yours does it will be the first they do that if the rail connections are disturbed and the ECM doesn't get the right signal -- that is caused by loose/unreliable connections.

-Doug
Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 PM

Julius...where is your sensor?

Need the Raptor yet?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Julius...where is your sensor?

Need the Raptor yet?
Sensor is on the fuel rail in OEM location.

Need Raptor -no. Want Raptor - yes! PM or email me with details.

I also need a new clutch. I slip my 3250 DD regularly now.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by doug
omaharam: they are trying to solve the wrong problem. first step is to unplug the rail harness from the back of the gauge. problem still there? if so, proceed:

Then take your harness connection apart (under the hood) at the rail and look for bent/dirty connectors. some of these harnesses can fail internally if there is no stress relief -- meaning they flop around as you drive. clean and re-position contacts as required (do NOT use dialectric grease. use an electronic parts / contact cleaner). re-assemble dry and use tie wraps in a criss-cross pattern to secure male and female together and then make sure the combination is secure, the cables are not stressed, etc.

make sure the direct connection to the sensor is also free from stress; check its connectors too,along with the mating connectors on the gauge harness that plug into it.

trucks don't rattle and spit with a malfunctioning gauge. Well if yours does it will be the first they do that if the rail connections are disturbed and the ECM doesn't get the right signal -- that is caused by loose/unreliable connections.

-Doug
Should I go back to the other harness piece or use the one they sent me, or does it matter?

Quick Reply: Doug Leno Contact?