3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

does the mp8 really help out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does the mp8 really help out?

I have an 06 and just curious if you guys have seen it help your rail pressure according to your gauge. I just wanted input if they have helped out on running the rail low and if they are worth the $. thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got a smarty?

I blew a my RV with an mp8 and modded FCA if that tells you anything. The mp8 was on maybe 20-25% when it let go.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:25 PM

yes wap I have a smarty/tst stacked, turbo, stage 2 cp3. ive heard mixed things about them. guys say they are hard on injectors. others say no issues. mainly looking for something thats rail pressure only. I dont want much just a little to see if it helps. I have stock injectors and prefer not to destroy them.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:30 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I could be more help but my rail guage is on the fritz right now and it is hard to watch the digital display of the tst guage vs analog.

I may never use my mp8 again but I aint gettin rid of it eather, if that helps any. If you can get one used and cheap I would do it, otherwise I would use that $ for injectors. JMO
Old 07-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Pressure only

Originally Posted by jwb600
yes wap I have a smarty/tst stacked, turbo, stage 2 cp3. ive heard mixed things about them. guys say they are hard on injectors. others say no issues. mainly looking for something thats rail pressure only. I dont want much just a little to see if it helps. I have stock injectors and prefer not to destroy them.
The old standard,... EZ.

Dr. P I believe is pressure only,... and a lot of it.

VA C3.1

Others I'm sure.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 PM

quad could make you a pressure only tune with one of his boxes
Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

I have the Power Puck stacked with my Hot Juice for pressure only...it also added 32hp to my dyno pull...
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

I have heard good things about the F1 pressure box lately its a mild one unlike the dr.performance/mp-8/ez
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CReed
I have heard good things about the F1 pressure box lately its a mild one unlike the dr.performance/mp-8/ez
The EZ is as mild as you can get
Old 07-20-2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
The EZ is as mild as you can get
I thought the EZ added more than just rail pressure? like some timing also. guess I was wrong there.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by CReed
didnt know they made a pressure box. how much are we talking for that?
if you know a price send me a pm thanks for all the help guys
Old 07-20-2007, 06:12 AM

jwb600 I have had one for 2years no problems. I just sold it to my buddy thats running the smarty with it and loves it.Hope this helps
Old 07-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

I've had the EZ and the TS MP-8 both stacked with Smarty/TST combo. I like the MP-8 alot better. The MP-8 gives infinite adjustability, and seems like a lot more performance gain. I never really could "feel" the power added by the Edge EZ, although it did smooth things out alot.

However, under moderate/heavy throttle you can really feel another kick as you ramp up the MP-8. The only downfall that I've seen so far with the MP-8, is that you get higher pressures letting off the pedal than on the pedal.

For example, if you have the MP-8 set so that you see 25,000 psi WOT, it may spike to 27 or 28,000 when you let off. I've found that if you're coordinated enough, you can quickly turn the MP-8 down very low at the same time you're backing off the throttle, and the pressure doesn't spike...however, this is sometimes hard to do with everything else going on!

As far as reliability of injectors, I don't know. I've heard some say EZ is a light/moderate pressure box and doesn't harm injectors. And others have supposedly trashed injectors running EZ on 1. I don't know there, but the MP-8 does offer smooth, real power.

--Eric
Old 07-20-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by enafzige
I've had the EZ and the TS MP-8 both stacked with Smarty/TST combo. I like the MP-8 alot better. The MP-8 gives infinite adjustability, and seems like a lot more performance gain. I never really could "feel" the power added by the Edge EZ, although it did smooth things out alot.

However, under moderate/heavy throttle you can really feel another kick as you ramp up the MP-8. The only downfall that I've seen so far with the MP-8, is that you get higher pressures letting off the pedal than on the pedal.

For example, if you have the MP-8 set so that you see 25,000 psi WOT, it may spike to 27 or 28,000 when you let off. I've found that if you're coordinated enough, you can quickly turn the MP-8 down very low at the same time you're backing off the throttle, and the pressure doesn't spike...however, this is sometimes hard to do with everything else going on!

As far as reliability of injectors, I don't know. I've heard some say EZ is a light/moderate pressure box and doesn't harm injectors. And others have supposedly trashed injectors running EZ on 1. I don't know there, but the MP-8 does offer smooth, real power.

--Eric

very good information right there. thanks for all that
Old 07-20-2007, 05:45 PM

the EZ is not mild! Especially if you have an early one with the 4th hidden level, it can and will kill injectors! the mildest I have seen is the VA C3.1. The va fuels hard down low and tapers off, where the EZ fuels more in the upper ranges where the RP will be the highest.
I just put a MP-8 on mine and love the way it fuels down low (even lower than the VA IMHO). that is where I want the power, I don't want something that has to be at redline to make its power. at about 25% on the Mp-8 with my flux 2.5's it just hazes out the exhaust @ low rpm WOT. the smoke didn't clear up all the way to redline where it did with the VA.
in my truck the Va tst stack did 457/1002 whereas a similarly equipped truck with a EZ has higher Hp but lower torque.

Quick Reply: does the mp8 really help out?