3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Do I need to install roller bearing with CON FE & TST power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing roller pilot bearing with SBC CON FE & TST power?

I am about to install a Southbend CON FE clutch, after reading on this site I have found that there are several different upgraded pilot bearing choices. With the TST standard program do I need to order one of the better roller bearings and machine the flywheel to accept or will I be ok just installing the needle bearing that comes with the clutch? My HP goals are going to be whatever the TST and large single turbo will generate. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:09 AM

I'd ask Southbend.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:20 PM

I had problems with an OFE dragging and not wanting to go into gear. PDR upgrade mine to the ball bearing design and now it shifts and drops into gear like a stocker. I won't do another upgraded clutch without adding the roller bearing. I'd say get it.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:13 PM

Talked to Peter at Southbend and he said that I could probably get by without doing it but the Roller bearing setup is nice. I have decided to go ahead and machine the flywheel for the roller just to be safe. Peter even gave me the part number for the bearing to use so I can get it at the local parts store. Very good customer service!!! Thanks Peter!!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:21 PM

Well I am sorry for responding to my own thread again but I have an update. After talking to my friend that's going to help me install my clutch and was going to machine the flywheel to accept the roller bearing he wanted me to call Peter back and ask if Southbend would accept my stock flywheel in exchange for one that they had already surfaced and installed the roller pilot bearing. Guess what I talked to Peter and he said that my friend had to be a good machinist to be aware of how important centering the hole for the pilot bearing is. My friend said he wished he had an old cummins 5.9 crank end that he could just bolt the flywheel up in a four jaw chuck so he could center the hole perfectly. This is when my friend asked me to call Peter and ask if they had an exchange deal. Long story short. Peter is sending me a finished flywheel with the roller bearing already installed for about the cost of doing the machine work and surfacing the stocker myself. I am only really out shipping cost. A small price to pay in my opinion to just unbolt the old flywheel and bolt in the new. Good deal in my book. I suggest replacing the flywheel with the Southbend prepped one to anyone that is wanting to upgrade the Pilot bearing when they upgrade there clutch. Oh yea. Thanks Gypsyman, you got me thinking a bit more on this one! Once again this site has really helped!!