3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

DIY CP3 mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is what this board is all about!

remeber DIY people is what built this business...long before there was ever Floor it, industrial injection,DTT,ATS and so on....Chris is one of those guys who knows that to share information will only promote this sport further. its not always about making money thru everyway possible. Edit i remember chris when he was just turnin for fun. i sent my friend to him yesterday and will send them that way in the future. do you think that 1 hours worth of time is not worth 20hp think again. this is what we live for. Edit i pulled my timing ring off and drilled it out which made almost no change but it was fun and it Edit my wife off.

couple of ? how wide and long is that dremel cut, what to use to debur the cover and metering socket thingy, how long do the machine bolts need to be and what material.

with all that said: would someone put a kit together for $100-200.. is rich from GDP around here? he has been one to take these kind of ideas and run with them...(by the way thanks again rich for taking the walbro and putting a kit together when no one else wanted to waste time they just wanted to keep buying fass pumps ...oh wait they still are
Old 03-01-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be interest if there's a kit available.

MikeyB
Old 03-01-2007, 08:58 AM

Woohoo!!

Now I know what a FCA is.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

what about twin cp3?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:03 AM

I think it is pretty cheap to run other companies down when your a vendor. (Like FASS sending out Walbro bashing booklets to their dealers to show people when they ask about the Walbro) He is not telling the whole story of what you get for $1,100. It sure does help him get some brownie points tho....
Old 03-01-2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Luken
I think it is pretty cheap to run other companies down when your a vendor. (Like FASS sending out Walbro bashing booklets to their dealers to show people when they ask about the Walbro) He is not telling the whole story of what you get for $1,100. It sure does help him get some brownie points tho....
I do not believe he mentioned any other companies names, did he??
Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 AM

Anyone ever find out where to get a replacement metering valve?

I would alos be interested on a kit if available. If not i will have to wait till the warranty is up to start playing.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by HappyGA
I do not believe he mentioned any other companies names, did he??
Off of his website...

"Sit back and enjoy the fact that in under an hour you were able to perform the same modifications that some shops charge over $1100 to do."

Does he have to mention the two companies to get his point across? I understand that everyone isn't going to agree with me but I just think it's cheap to make a statement like that...

I'd feel the same way if Floor-It or II ran his practices/prices down on their website. But they don't.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Luken
Off of his website...

"Sit back and enjoy the fact that in under an hour you were able to perform the same modifications that some shops charge over $1100 to do."

Does he have to mention the two companies to get his point across? I understand that everyone isn't going to agree with me but I just think it's cheap to make a statement like that...

I'd feel the same way if Floor-It or II ran his practices/prices down on their website. But they don't.
After reading... and all things considered... I dont think this was an issue till you brought it up. I really thought 1100 was waaayyy to much for just this mod. but after I asked, there was some clarity given by another vendor. He didnt seem to take offense. Did he?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:53 AM

For this simple mod, i agree $1100 is way to much, but the point i think that Floor It and Luken are making is that there is much more into the real thing (stage 1 cp3) and even more for the stage 2 pumps. Im much like CATCRACKER2 if I just enjoy doing things myself, even if they dont do much. Im great full that Chris put this little article together, but I do agree the last sentence might not have been needed. But it sure does make the DIYer feel like he/she has really accomplished something, and saved themselves a fair amount of money. Joel
Old 03-01-2007, 12:13 PM

Fueling stuff in general

I have done ample research on modified CP3's and Dual set ups, and I am stuck! Modded CP3's can still be pulled down hard in rail pressure with the right setup, whereas you have got to be really running stuff hard to pull down twin CP3's. Problem for me is this. 1100 for a modded CP3, and it wont keep up with some applications, and without being cheap sounding, still seems really high $ wise. They are not rebuildable from what I have found. Now I understand that people are in a business to make money, and there is R&D that goes into all of this stuff, but..... seems a little steep. I know what machining is all about, and my neighbor is a machinist, and it would be hard to get to even 600 in machining inside that pump, even if you were even making new parts completely. Now, as for the modded pumps, I am not comming down hard on them as much as my next rant. DUAL CP3's

Now this just flat out kills me, and even to this day, I've yet to find someone who can honestly defend and justify the costs associated with this mod. I have been quoted with just the kit, as I already have a completely brand new CP3. They hardly knocked anything off the price. No one can tell me that there is 3000.00 us dollars worth of metal, electronic and R&D worth that! That is one HELL of a lot of money for what you are getting. Fair pricing for this, INCLUDING the R&D is maybe worth 1500-1800 TOPS without the pump, and this is STILL making money, and a good share of it!

If people can argue against me on this, then I will purchase a dual kit, and replicate it, and see what it costs me! I have a machinist, and an electronics tech at my disposal to assist me in developing a kit. Obviously I would have to make key changes to avoid prosecution, but........

If I was to hazzard a guess, I would say that there is 400.00 MAX in machining and metal. From what I have found out so far, that little module could be built for pennies if large enough volume. 200.00 for a electonics guy to build one. So there, an approximate of 600 in total cost, less the pump!

Do I want to put people out of business? NOT A CHANCE, but COME ON.... pricing is insane, and if they all want to see this arena grow, make it attainable for normal people, and not restricted to the rich and famous! If the pricing on the duals were more in check, I would buy it right now! I would just rather do without right now on the principal. Now people may say, your problem, not theirs, but all that has to happen, is 10 more people, 20 more people to stand up and say enough. I think that a complete kit is fair at 2800-3000 on the high end. A pumpless kit in the neighborhood of 1500.00

I am trying to express myself through the internet and on the fone, and so far have had a large amount of people agree with me.

For those that manufacture the dual kits, how many people on here would spend 2800 on a complete kit right now? How many would buy a partial kit at 1500?

People are powerful in the masses!

Feel free to agree or disagree with me. Freedom of speech is a welcoming privaledge! (sp?

Cheers and rant is now in the off position!

Chad
Old 03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PULN PWR
I have done ample research on modified CP3's and Dual set ups, and I am stuck! Modded CP3's can still be pulled down hard in rail pressure with the right setup, whereas you have got to be really running stuff hard to pull down twin CP3's. Problem for me is this. 1100 for a modded CP3, and it wont keep up with some applications, and without being cheap sounding, still seems really high $ wise. They are not rebuildable from what I have found. Now I understand that people are in a business to make money, and there is R&D that goes into all of this stuff, but..... seems a little steep. I know what machining is all about, and my neighbor is a machinist, and it would be hard to get to even 600 in machining inside that pump, even if you were even making new parts completely. Now, as for the modded pumps, I am not comming down hard on them as much as my next rant. DUAL CP3's

Now this just flat out kills me, and even to this day, I've yet to find someone who can honestly defend and justify the costs associated with this mod. I have been quoted with just the kit, as I already have a completely brand new CP3. They hardly knocked anything off the price. No one can tell me that there is 3000.00 us dollars worth of metal, electronic and R&D worth that! That is one HELL of a lot of money for what you are getting. Fair pricing for this, INCLUDING the R&D is maybe worth 1500-1800 TOPS without the pump, and this is STILL making money, and a good share of it!

If people can argue against me on this, then I will purchase a dual kit, and replicate it, and see what it costs me! I have a machinist, and an electronics tech at my disposal to assist me in developing a kit. Obviously I would have to make key changes to avoid prosecution, but........

If I was to hazzard a guess, I would say that there is 400.00 MAX in machining and metal. From what I have found out so far, that little module could be built for pennies if large enough volume. 200.00 for a electonics guy to build one. So there, an approximate of 600 in total cost, less the pump!

Do I want to put people out of business? NOT A CHANCE, but COME ON.... pricing is insane, and if they all want to see this arena grow, make it attainable for normal people, and not restricted to the rich and famous! If the pricing on the duals were more in check, I would buy it right now! I would just rather do without right now on the principal. Now people may say, your problem, not theirs, but all that has to happen, is 10 more people, 20 more people to stand up and say enough. I think that a complete kit is fair at 2800-3000 on the high end. A pumpless kit in the neighborhood of 1500.00

I am trying to express myself through the internet and on the fone, and so far have had a large amount of people agree with me.

For those that manufacture the dual kits, how many people on here would spend 2800 on a complete kit right now? How many would buy a partial kit at 1500?

People are powerful in the masses!

Feel free to agree or disagree with me. Freedom of speech is a welcoming privaledge! (sp?)

Cheers and rant is now in the off position!

Chad

I tinkered with the idea of having a shop build me a set of dual cp3's but they said they couldnt find someone to make the electrical connections. Everything else wasnt a problem, the harness, mounts, and cp3 were all set up but darn those connectors. Dealers cost was alot less for me but even still it was to much for the dual cp3's so im getting a stage 2 from floor it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 PM

YUP! Just that little box! And they wont sell it separate......

Already checked...

Chad
Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM

the way i see it is if $1100 is too much, then why dont the complainants open their own company and do it for $400.

we all work to support ourselves, some of us have the pleasure of having a hobby that brings in that income. but with any job you need to remain competitive and get to the next step before the competition evens thinks about that next step...to get there takes money.

yes it may seem like a relatively easy mod but then why hasnt everyone thought about doing it two years ago if its so easy? what they know and what you dont is what makes it expensive...and now many are aware of it, and hindsight is always 20/20.

you dont HAVE to have extra power. its not your RIGHT to have more power, especially at a price YOU can afford.

tear me apart on this one but thats the way i feel. if the prices were too expensive, they wouldnt be able to sell the product. if the prices were too cheap they either have a very small profit margin and/or have too many people wanting the mod that it creates a huge lead time and customers would complain it took too long.

think about this the next time you want a raise at your job. that takes money, and who does that money come from?

just my 2 cents
Pat
Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pgilles
the way i see it is if $1100 is too much, then why dont the complainants open their own company and do it for $400.

we all work to support ourselves, some of us have the pleasure of having a hobby that brings in that income. but with any job you need to remain competitive and get to the next step before the competition evens thinks about that next step...to get there takes money.

yes it may seem like a relatively easy mod but then why hasnt everyone thought about doing it two years ago if its so easy? what they know and what you dont is what makes it expensive...and now many are aware of it, and hindsight is always 20/20.

you dont HAVE to have extra power. its not your RIGHT to have more power, especially at a price YOU can afford.

tear me apart on this one but thats the way i feel. if the prices were too expensive, they wouldnt be able to sell the product. if the prices were too cheap they either have a very small profit margin and/or have too many people wanting the mod that it creates a huge lead time and customers would complain it took too long.

think about this the next time you want a raise at your job. that takes money, and who does that money come from?

just my 2 cents
Pat
I agree 100%, theirs alot of cost going into this you dont see.

Quick Reply: DIY CP3 mod