3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

DIY CP3 mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Floor It
Ad removed site violation
Little side note here - John, how close are you to being ready to put those duels on Ryan's truck?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you Floor It, and thats Chris said the same thing that you used edm machines to in large the triangle(cant remember what to call it). He did say that in a real modded cp3 that there are more things to be done but this is an easy way to gain a little for free. It actually took him a little to remembe about the article because these little mods are so old. The only question that I have is what are the major downfalls to this mod. You stated that this would be opeaning a can of worms for potential problems? Thanks Joel
Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldSmokey
The only question that I have is what are the major downfalls to this mod. You stated that this would be opeaning a can of worms for potential problems? Thanks Joel

another inquiring mind would like to know this also...
Old 02-28-2007, 03:43 PM

The truck with the big gains was my truck.The actual mod is good for around 20 hp if you have the right box and fuel.I had a hyper drive and the fca mod agave me 86 hp and then added a rasp pump at 120psi to get the 120 gain.Chris isnt downing anyones product,I at one time considered one of Floor Its pumps.Relentless never modified a pump like the stage 2's are internally.He simply put the article out there to show the mechanically inclined an easy hp gain.I think its great someone actually showed everyone a free mod.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:59 PM

Watching thread...
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Hey Banchee what is involved with the other pump mods?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:24 PM

If this is old news. Could we get some instructuons on how to do this mod cleanly. It seemed the dremmel way wasn't too exact. Thanks to whoever would be nice enough to help us all out.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:28 PM

I thougt that the article that Chris wrote was pretty infomative. But supposedly there is more that can be done to make the pump flow even better.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Banned

Im sure their is more smokey...try asking industrial injection, or floor it what they do to theirs...
Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks acook
Old 02-28-2007, 05:52 PM

I posted before to clarify that there is an enormous difference between those mods and ours, we want people to get what they pay for. Sorry I didn't elaborate before, but didn't have time.
Ok, problems that could be encountered are, as Chris said, if you do not deburr the little plunger to where there are ABSOLUTELY NO burrs, you will be fighting all kinds of problems that will most likely be intermittent. If you try to hold that plunger in a vice or anything that might warp or damage it, it WILL stick. If you try this, great, but just be aware of the issues you might run into.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:55 PM

I love all this information. I love it that I saw the FCA broke completly down because two months ago I had no idea what it was - but slowly have learned.

I kinda figured this may have been some early info but just wanted it clarified.

Ever since Don M made his statement a while back about the next big thing for the cummins was the CP3 mods I have gobbled up every shread of info I can find. i dont care how little or how many pages I print it off. In fact I have a three ring binder that is about 2 inches thick right now with CP3 info in it.

To everyone - keep the info comming no matter how old or how new
Old 02-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Floor It
I posted before to clarify that there is an enormous difference between those mods and ours, we want people to get what they pay for. Sorry I didn't elaborate before, but didn't have time.
Ok, problems that could be encountered are, as Chris said, if you do not deburr the little plunger to where there are ABSOLUTELY NO burrs, you will be fighting all kinds of problems that will most likely be intermittent. If you try to hold that plunger in a vice or anything that might warp or damage it, it WILL stick. If you try this, great, but just be aware of the issues you might run into.
I will ask a question that I asked before in this thread after reading this...what are the chances of an aftermarket making these plungers and valves?

We understand now that there is way more to a modded pump than the article stated. I understand there are secrets and such. So why dont you make some performance aftermarket pump parts that you replace the old ones with? Wouldnt that cut down on the chances of contamination?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by BothellDiesel
If this is old news. Could we get some instructuons on how to do this mod cleanly. It seemed the dremmel way wasn't too exact. Thanks to whoever would be nice enough to help us all out.
The dremel is going to be the only way unless you get into EDM machining. As Chris said, a dremel with a new cutoff wheel, PATIENCE (don't rush through this!) and again, I can't stress enough the importance of deburring the plunger. After deburring you need to trial fit the plunger into the FCA and there CANNOT be the slightest hangup or sticking. Gotta be smooth as glass.

Dan, that's a good question and I'll put some thought into doing this for people, but I just don't think there is enough gain by just doing this. If there is enough demand I'll put something together.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Thanks Floor It, for us that are still learning this has been a great help, I learned so much today about how these cp3s work. I am willing to bet that there are many more like me who cant really justify a new pump but a little extra is always nice. But thanks again Joel

Quick Reply: DIY CP3 mod