3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Diesel Programer ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You won't regret the Smarty. It definitely does the trick. I haul with mine on level 5 at all times and it has proved to be helpful for me, mainly the quicker low end spoolup and stronger top end.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll definately love the smarty....you sound pretty patient....get the smarty, put it on level 3 for daily driving (you'll be amazed)....and start towing on level 1....move to level 3 (maybe with the boost fooling software)and enjoy....prior to beefing up my trans (and using beta 4.4)...i left mine on level 3 for all occasions and didnt need the switch on the fly....still dont...just leave on level 5 and haul a$$
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 AM

Thanks again for the replies...this thread and the links it has have been very helpful. I've been able to locate what trans I have, what motor, and clarify that I wasn't crazy with regards to my programmer issues. I'm feeling much better about the truck and working on it. As for the SMARTY, I'll probably pick one up towards the end of the month since I am thinking I should pick up some guages. I just haven't decided if I'm going with the ISSPRO or DiPricol gauges...I am trying to weigh my options...either way it looks like I will be spending somewhere around 3-4 hundred (for 3: pyro, trans temp, fuel pressure).
jgiachino you mentioned boost fooling software. Will I need something in addition to my SMARTY box or is there boost fooling software built in already? I was under the impression the "BFS" was already present in the SMARTY. Will I need one of those adjustable boost elbows as well?
Thank you
Old 11-04-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by infulleffect
Thanks again for the replies...this thread and the links it has have been very helpful. I've been able to locate what trans I have, what motor, and clarify that I wasn't crazy with regards to my programmer issues. I'm feeling much better about the truck and working on it. As for the SMARTY, I'll probably pick one up towards the end of the month since I am thinking I should pick up some guages. I just haven't decided if I'm going with the ISSPRO or DiPricol gauges...I am trying to weigh my options...either way it looks like I will be spending somewhere around 3-4 hundred (for 3: pyro, trans temp, fuel pressure).
jgiachino you mentioned boost fooling software. Will I need something in addition to my SMARTY box or is there boost fooling software built in already? I was under the impression the "BFS" was already present in the SMARTY. Will I need one of those adjustable boost elbows as well?
Thank you
The smarty can do boost fooling (you have to download and install the aftermarket turbo software, the software that it comes loaded with will not boost fool)...on the 04.5+ trucks, that's all you need.....not sure on the earlier years....someone will chime in.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:50 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jgiachino
The smarty can do boost fooling (you have to download and install the aftermarket turbo software, the software that it comes loaded with will not boost fool)...on the 04.5+ trucks, that's all you need.....not sure on the earlier years....someone will chime in.
Same thing on the earlier years too...
Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 PM

So would the recommendation be to go with the boost elbow and a Quadzilla boost fooler...or should I just do one since they are both allowing higher boost levels? Which way has been proven to be more effective?
Thank you,
Jim
Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 PM

I use only the actuator with no problems. get the elbow first, I don't think you'll have any issues with the smarty.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rip 112
I use only the actuator with no problems. get the elbow first, I don't think you'll have any issues with the smarty.
I agree... even though I bought and used a boost fooler, I found out later I didn't "need" it. With the elbow and smarty you should be just fine. If you do set a code, then download the aftermarket turbo file and you'll be peachy.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Awesome info as usual...I must say this forum is highly informing and you fellow Dodge owners have been more then helpful...I greatly appreciate it.
:thumbup:
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 AM

As an update...we acutally had some sunshine here and after replacing my buddies Legacy Outback Wagon's front axle I figured I would wrench on the truck before heading home for dinner with the family .
So I installed my boost elbow and while I was in there I removed the silencer ring...both super simple to do and lots of room to get my fat hands in there too . All in all these two things to minutes to complete. No codes, as of now...but I haven't been beating on the truck since the local fuel place is up to $3.60 a gallon !
What I noticed was the turbo had a quicker spool time and it easily reached 25 + psi...I took my foot off around 30psi...I was out of road . I will continue to keep this thread updated and I hope to have the SMARTY by the end of the month.
I know I need gauges as well...I am leaning towards the DiPricol since they seem to have a bit cleaner installation due to being electric over mechanical...but who knows. As of now I hve a spare Autometer EGT laying around and it will be wire tied to my steering column until I figure out how many and what gauges I would like to use...ISSPro or DiPricol are what I am debating on so time will tell.
Thanks again for all the help.

Jim
Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 AM

Glad its turning out for you. Make sure you don't exceed 35psi, it'll only make egts hotter and pretty much flatline.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 AM

If weather allows I'll be hooking up my make shift EGT set up this weekend...we should be seeing some sun then...as for boost. I had to pull out into traffic yesterday so I floored it to get out safely and see how high my psi level would be and it pretty much stopped at 30ish, which I was pleased with. So far so good...thanks for the advice.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 AM

I like the dipricol gauges in mine. They look really good and seem to be pretty accurate. I like em cause they match the factory gauges
Old 11-13-2007, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the input...greatly appreciated. Here is a question for you mcolectd I noticed you are running 18inch wheels with 35's is the leveler needed or could this be accomplished on the stock stance?
Thanks,
Jim