3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Diesel Programer ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Programer ???

Greetings I recently purchased an automatic 03' 3500. It has a reputable programmer installed and I'm not seeing the improvements I expected to see after reading some posts on here of the results users have had by having one. As of now the fuel milage is the same as stock and low end power is identical to stock unless you load another program for improved low end power and then the truck is sick, but I risk roasting the tranny.
I've been in contact with their tech support and they've been very helpful to the point of their willingness to have me send it back so they can check it out...but before pulling it I want to see if I am missing anything, could I have overlooked something that could be causing a problem...?
As for upgrades the truck has the programmer and an AFE intake system...the exhaust is stock. On the highest setting I've seen the boost reach around 30psi, but only by mashing the pedal to the floor...regular driving only yields boost pressures between 20-25psi and casual driving...well boost is low because I am just taking my time.
I haven't mentioned the programmers name due to the fact that I am not trying to bash any product...there are a lot of good threads on here about the programmer and its company; plus they both have quite the reputation and following, which leads me to believe I may have another issue I am unaware of. I am new to Dodge, but not to vehicles so I am comfortable checking any possible flaws my truck may have, help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want help, we need to know all of your mods (your signature) and any symptoms your truck may have. If we knew what programmer it was you could be suggested on what levels work best and whats safer. We know you don't want to bash, so let loose!

Have you installed a boost elbow or adjustable wastegate actuator? It will allow for more boost, but you don't want to exceed around 35psi on the stock turbo.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Thank you for the response...I'm on here still searching for possible issues. My mods are only the programmer, which is a Bully Dog Triple Dog with Outlook (it does have the current updates) and an AFE Stage II (I think) intake. That is it. The truck has about 90K on it and it is pretty much a daily driver. I'm not beating it up or dragging it...I just was looking for something to make it go a bit better.
I have not installed a boost elbow or adjustable wastegate actuator, I wasn't able to find any clarity for those mods to see if they were for my application or older models.
I offically don't think I have any symptoms...I just felt for the rave programmers get that my truck would really move and get better fuel milage. It just seems the truck only comes to life when you put the pedal to the floor and hold it there...other then that it just seems lifeless.
I am not sure if because of the miles if I may be running into a fuel issue and be in need of a pump due to the pump timing increase and boost increase via the programmer...is that possible?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I can tell you that the Bullydog does not shine the best on 03-04 trucks. They rock on the 04.5-06 trucks. Research the Smarty. I think you will find it the answer.

the 03-04 cr trucks utilize a mechanically controlled wastegate. 04.5-up cr trucks have an electronically controlled wastegate. a boost fooler will allow for more boost by itself on an 04.5up, and will work in conjunction with a elbow or actuator to prevent the overboost code on 03-04s.

If you are on the tow mode (and not performance/extreme), you shouldn't have any issues with fueling. However, the 03-04s are notorious for having bad lift pumps. Check for codes just to be sure.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:47 PM

BDTD is no bueno on that yr of truck, go Smarty with a Quad stack for maximum get down. Or the predator/power puck combo works well too so Ive heard.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM

S M A R T Y All The Way For 03 - 04.5 Trucks I Had A Bully Dog And It Didnt Do Hardly Anything
Old 10-30-2007, 01:22 PM

I Had A Bully Dog And It Didnt Do Hardly Anything
BDTD is no bueno on that yr of truck
Well I can tell you that the Bullydog does not shine the best on 03-04 trucks
ugh, that is not what I wanted to hear I really don't want to have to take a loss on the Triple Dog product and shell out for a Smarty at this time so I guess I have a few more question to try and make the best of this.

Questions would be:
When rip 112 mention my truck as a CR truck does that mean common rail?
Should I get a boost elbow to help aide in boost response or will it only help in high boost levels?

Where is the lift pump located??? Maybe a noob question...just want to know what I am looking for. Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You have received some good responses here.

The boost elbow will help to give more total boost, not boost response. The boost elbow works by limiting airflow to the wastegate actuator either delaying or stopping the wastegate from opening depending on where you have the screw set.

The liftpump is mounted directly to the fuel filter housing (on the back side)located on drivers side of engine close to the firewall.

CR does mean common rail. The main reason for the difference in 03-04 vs 04.5 and up for your purposes to this thread has to do with a different and more powerful ECM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:11 PM

More good info...thank you soulezoo.
Well I guess where I am at now is to decide my next step...I've spoken with Bully Dog again today super honest and just as stumped as I...the individual I purchased it from is willing to exchange the device for an Edge Juice with Attitude monitor or I could put it toward a MBRP 5inch or 4in SS exhaust. I'm not sure what to do, I'm kinda bummed the Bully Dog didn't work out, but glad I'm not stuck with it either.
I know SMARTY was mentioned as an option...if I go with the MBRP the SMARTY is still an option, but since he doesn't carry it I would have to go that route at a later date...my only hesitation with the SMARTY is that you were not able to shift on the fly with it, and I thought I read somewhere you couldn't tow with it...is that true. I basically tow a car trailer, my buddies boat or some landscaping equipment when needed...so towing is important to me. Again the help here is appreciated...many thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 AM

As an update the programmer and outlook have been removed and are being returned. Thank goodness for Bully Dog's 30 day satisfaction guarenteed, and they stand behind it too...great company, their product just didn't work for me. I guess now I'm onto getting a SMARTY, some guages, and an exhaust. Thanks for the help folks.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

You will like the smarty. If getting MBRP, get 4" turbo back. This may require getting a 4" turbo elbow as well. 5" will be too big for where you are at HP wise and can hurt performance. You can tow with Smarty. All you need to keep in mind is that the Smarty is very powerful and has the ability to tear up a stock truck at upper levels with a lead foot. Do you have a 250hp eng with 48re or 47re? Early 2003 autos had 47re, later ones have 48re. The 47re is not as strong and therefore you should be more careful with throttle until you can beef up the tranny. That doesn't mean if you have a 48re that you can go out and do boosted launches either.

Point is, leave Smarty on level 3 for everyday and towing-- watch your gauges-- and enjoy. If you have a 48re, you can get away running level 5 (it is not recommended though) as long as you are not abusing the throttle and tranny. When you get the Smarty, try SW9 just for a taste and see if you don't get the power bug... and remember there are Beta programs out there that are even more powerful than what you will receive with the smarty. Be careful out there!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 AM

How do I figure out what motor and trans I have. I've been asked that before and I don't know if I have the HO or not and my valve cover just says 24V?
Thank you all for you help it is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Check here:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=79870
Or here:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ight=47re+48re
Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 AM

Its great to see the support on this forum all the time. that is why I read here all the time. there is sooo much to learn here. infulleffect you will love the smarty it is awesome but you will need to baby it a little until you get the trans built. Its just that strong.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by mm73
Its great to see the support on this forum all the time. that is why I read here all the time. there is sooo much to learn here. infulleffect you will love the smarty it is awesome but you will need to baby it a little until you get the trans built. Its just that strong.
I agree...

Thanks for the links...I will check that out after work. I actually went to the dealer and got a print out using the VIN before purchasing the truck...I will work on digging that up and see what it says.

Quick Reply: Diesel Programer ???