3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Died on Test drive after FASS Install....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Died on Test drive after FASS Install....

Ok....Installed a FASS today on an '03. Truck fired right up no probs....i let it idle for a while and warm up. Shut it off to finish installing the lines with zip ties. I restarted (no probs) and pulled it out of the shop. Let sit and idle to warm up again. Then my boss took it out for a test drive. He didnt make it 2 miles and the truck fell on its face and died. NOW we cant get it restarted at all. I pulled codes---none. I cracked the HP lines....i am getting fuel to the rail and lines. I recheked the FASS and pressure it good. Just doesnt seem right.....could an air pocket have worked its way into the system some how?

Also to note, with the key cracked to the run position, i hear a "ticking" noise commming from under the valve cover. The frequency is pretty rapid....about 5-6 ticks a second. I would assume an injector? This customer was having issues before we installed the FASS....actually one of the reasons he wanted the FASS. The symptoms he was getting was with the Edge EZ moduel plugged in and only with a trailer. What would happend is that it would drive fine for about 2 hours. Then it would start to Black smoke and run very rough with a loud ticking comming from under the hood. I dont know....just floors me! Something that i have done soooo many times before with no probs and this one that just kicks that butt!

Just wonder if any have had the same issue......thanks!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

Have you tried pulling the EZ off and seeing if that cures it? If your getting fuel to the rails and lines, then it's gotta be an injector or the EZ.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:36 PM

Yeah....EZ was the first to come off....then i tried to coax it with a little happy juice....but no go.......we cracked the lines at the head....we got fuel squirting out.....just seems odd that im not getting any codes.......i aggree though....i think its an injector issue
Old 11-19-2004, 06:13 AM

Rail pressure relief valve?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:23 AM

Man I don’t know......we beat ourselves all last night with this prob until midnight....it just ain’t happening. Truck is still under wnty.....BUT I don’t know what they would say about the FASS......especially if its fuel related.....I can take care of the AFE and EZ with out a prob. I have never had a FASS knock out anything....I have done several on the new common rails....with no probs......I just don’t get it......easy jobs turn into nightmares at the drop of a hat lately!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:27 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by PourinDiesel
Rail pressure relief valve?
I think this is it or a bad injector pump. If you cracked the lines at the head, fuel should be more than simply squirting out. The fuel system on the common rails is self-bleeding (the injectors let the air out), so no chance of air lock.

Rod
Old 11-19-2004, 08:56 AM

The relief valve is mechanical and MIGHT not cause any codes to be thrown.
Seems kinda fishy though, there is codes engineered in for these type of situations.

Tried running on ether?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:57 AM

Ran fine on ether.....i just dont like using it.....but we got it going for about a min and a half.....cut the ether....and truck dies. Just not firing the injectors or its not building enough pressure. You would think one would get a "Fuel pressure sensor voltage low" code or something.....
Old 11-19-2004, 11:53 AM

Tried disconnecting the batteries for about an hour?
Sounds like the rail or pump JMO
Old 11-19-2004, 01:13 PM

Its going to the Dodge House....Got it back to stock....cleared the codes.........we will see......
Old 11-30-2004, 11:41 AM

Got the truck back from the chicken house. They found the injection pump to be bad. It was covered under wnty and all is good in Dodge land now! haha.....FASS is back on with the EZ....no probs.....im happy! BUT still took almost 2 weeks!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Banned

Thanks for letting us know what the problem was. That's the first time I've heard about the injection pump on a new truck fail.