3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Did Juice w/Attitude kill my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did Juice w/Attitude kill my truck?

I just got the Juice w/Attitude for my 04.5 for Christmas. It's been running great for about a week and a half now. Other than the Edge, the truck is bone stock with 40k miles on the clock.

I'm driving home from work tonight about 1/2 mile from my house and the truck just dies. I coasted to the side of the road (geez does that thing steer hard when the power steering pump in not running) and tried to restart it. It did start but ran very rough then died again. I repeated this process several times. So I figured it had to be the Edge module. I unplugged everything under the hood and returned it to stock. I started the truck and it idled smooth (like normal) then died after about 4 or 5 second. I repeated this process several times then the truck just failed to start at all.

Now I'm thinking I may have scrambled the factory ECM so I disconnect the batteries for a couple of minutes. After reconnecting the truck still doesn't start. Now it's time to call AAA. Thank goodness it was dark and no one could really see me getting my Dodge towed by a Phord.

There is one parameter that was different tonight than other nights driving home. I live up in the hills and the road to my house is hilly and twisting, and heavily patrolled to enforce the 30 MPH speed limit. So usually I leave the truck in second gear because the lock up converter engages around 28 mph and it's easier to hold the 30 mph speed using the throttle instead of the brake. Usually the Attitude monitor is set to level 3. Tonight everything was the same except the Attitude was set at level 5. I had bumped it up earlier in anticipation of using the extra ponies on a favorite stretch of road. But slower traffic prevented my little cheap thrill. I forgot to bump it back down to level 3 for the rest of the drive home.

It looks like I will need to have it towed to the dealer on Monday morning. Should I remove all traces of the Edge before I take it in?

Ken
04.5 CTD, QC, LWB 2500
Old 01-07-2006, 11:46 PM

Sounds like a fuel pump problem, my truck did exactly the same thing when the lift pump went.Take off your Edge gear before going to the dealer.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:44 AM

Well, the saga continues. I had to go in to work today and was going to drive the Durango. For grins I decided to see if the Cummins would start, and it did. The check engine light was on. I let it idle for about 15 minutes to make sure it wasn't going to die. And with a marginal amount of confidence, head off for work. About 10 miles away it died on me again. Once again AAA to the rescue. I am beginning to suspect the ECM. Any Thoughts.
Thx
Old 01-08-2006, 11:39 AM

Sounds like the lift pump, mine did the exact same thing. Get it to the dealer, or replace with an aftermarket - don't keep trying to run it until it's checked out, a bad lift pump can cost you a much more expensive CP3 (injector pump)!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:57 AM

Am I to assume then that the 'lift pump' is actually something different than the fuel pump? (I knew I should have ordered the shop manual when I got the truck, just didn't think I would need it yet) My understanding is that there is an electric fuel pump in (or near) the fuel tank. From there the fuel goes to a 'lift pump' then to the injector pump? My guess would be too, that any one of those would probably cause the check engine light to come on.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Your truck has a lift pump and an injector pump. Either of those can be called the "fuel pump". On the 04.5, I believe the original lift pump is located under the hood, mounted to the fuel filter housing. If it gets replaced by the dealer, the replacement may be an in-tank model.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Your lift pump is the in tank fuel pump and costs about $150. Your CP3 injection pump is the really expensive one that injects the fuel to the injectors.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:27 PM

K, thanks. Guess I can always disconnect the return line and turn the key on to see if fuel is being pumped. I know if it's in the tank it will be electric. Assuming the same if it's mounted under the hood.

Also, anyone have a link where I can buy and download the shop manual for this thing today?

Thanks
Ken
Old 01-08-2006, 12:49 PM

ken did you by chance check to see what code or codes you had with the cel on
Old 01-08-2006, 12:54 PM

I know there is a way to display the codes but I don't know the process. I'm hoping if I can get a soft copy of the shop manual today I can find that info. Also hoping the manual has a section for decoding those codes.

Ken
Old 01-08-2006, 01:03 PM

Ken , rather then remove the return line , just open your water in the fuel lever on the fuel filter and just bump your starter, and you should be able to hear the lift pump working and should have fuel draining on to your driveway or bucket you place there. sounds like a lift pump failure to me also , you can click your key on three times and read the codes on your odometer , if you look at your fuel filter , you will also see your lift pump on the backside of the filter housing.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:14 PM

I'm betting P0628, any takers? This is exactly what mine did 3 days after I put the Juice on. My dealer installed the in tank set up and no problems since.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:45 PM

Hey triplenickle- a bit off topic, but I see you installed the 51' Nelson. I live close to Edmonton. How much, where, and how do you like the sound??
Old 01-08-2006, 01:56 PM

I checked the codes and here's what came up.
P0148
P0628
P2149
P0336 (this one flashed up 3 times)

I don't have any way right now to decipher what they mean. Hopefully none of them has hugh $$$ attached to them. (geez) I sure do appreciate everyones input and expertise.

Thx
Ken

2004.5 CTD, SLT, Heavy Duty, Quad Cab, LWB, 4x4, 48re.
It's a working truck.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:02 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
P0148 Fuel Delivery Error
P0628 Fuel Pump Relay Circuit Low, or Fuel Lift Pump Control Circuit Low
P2149 Fuel Injector Group 2 Supply Voltage Circuit
P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor Performance

Quick Reply: Did Juice w/Attitude kill my truck?