3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Did I hurt my turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I hurt my turbo?

I just installed a muffler delete pipe, which by the way sounds awesome, and I also took out my silencer ring. My question is when I took off my ring the screwdriver slipped a time or two and there was, very small, chips at the the bottom of the turbo that I got out. Now when I drive my truck there is a ver faint noise of small stones hitting my truck. The noise is coming from the exhaust and I can only hear it when I let off the throttle. It will also do it if I rev it up and let it idle down. I think it is in my head, but i just want some reasurance that everything is okay.

Thanks
Rick
Old 03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Tire Hater

Did you hit the blades or just the turbo housing?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:56 PM
chw

Its in your head probably I think I hear funny sounds coming from my truck all the time just drive it a few more days and it will be gone I bet take it from a person who has a Very serious O.C. truck disorder.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 PM

I did not hit the blades but just slipped off the snap ring to cause a few chips. The noises are real and I dont know if they are cause by the turbo or the exhaust. I would figure if it is the turbo it would be happening all of the time not just coming off the revs.

Thanks
Rick
Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM

I did not hit the blades the chips came from the silencer ring snap ring. The noises are real they are coming from the exhaust. The only thing that makes me wonder is if it is the turbo why does it only happen when I let off the throttle and not when I am on it

Thanks
Rick
Old 03-13-2006, 06:22 PM

I'd pull the intake hose off the turbo to make sure you didn't leave anything behind inside there.....
Old 03-13-2006, 06:29 PM

When I put it back together there was nothing in there. What I am trying to ask is does that noise sound like it could be the turbo or just the sound from the muffler delete.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 PM

Also, maybe a unanswerable question, but if it is the turbo how long will it take for the damage will start to surface.

Again thanks alot for answering my newbie questions
Rick
Old 03-13-2006, 07:28 PM

One last thing. I just drove my truck as the rain has stopped and the noise is defiantly not there on spoolup only below 1200rpm on an idle down. The noise to better describe it sounds like when you shut a car off when it has been driven and you can hear the ping from the converter. I think this is what I am hearing as there is no muffler to silence it now. Sorry for all of the posts, just a little worried as this truck only has 600 miles on it.

Thanks
Rick
Old 03-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Banned

It is a rattle, check the transmission dip stick,or Battery Box, etc, it will humm mm when you let off the throttle.Now check the compression side of the Turbo for damage,warped fins, free play,housing damage.if the turbo checks out (which I am sure it will) you will be fine and eventually you will fine it.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:14 PM

thanks guys for the responses. After really thinking about it i just dont see how pencil tip sized shavings could create enough noise to be heard over the idle of the enigne(at least it makes me feel better) Again thanks for the help and anymore would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
Old 03-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Banned

if you raised some metal on the compressor housing the blades may hit the high spots during certain situations. there is axial play(front to back) in turbos, usually around .010"(ten thousands of an inch).under boost the turbo shaft and wheels will move to the rear of the truck, under decel it will be towards the front. that may be your sound.

if you need a repalcement turbo, mine is in good shape, just mail me an sp62 and I'll send you mine when I change it out
Old 03-14-2006, 12:54 AM

That noise may just be the heat/cool cycle of your exhaust. I don't hear it on mine, but I still have my muffler. It may have always made it, but you couldn't hear it till recently. I would have to say that if it was debris in the system, then they are most likely gone now. If it was the turbo goin bye, bye, then I would think the noise would be more prevelant and across a wider RPM range.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:39 AM

Try getting under the the truck while someones driving at highway speeds. Use a strap or some glue on your hands to stay put under there while he/she gets the truck up to speed. and try to pinpoint the noise. Use one of those 2 way radios to communicate with the person behind the wheel. And by all means be carefull !!!

Seriously though, get under the truck and move your exhaust around lifting up and down - side to side. Look for any loose clamps, hangers ect... . Go back over and tighten all the clamps you had loose to install the delete pipe. You may have put the exhaust just a little out of kilter during the project, and you may have to adjust.

Pull your intake hose off and inspect the fins and the nicks. You'll know real quick if the fins are hitting them, maybe take a picture or two and post them on here for us to evaluate. I would have to say it wouldnt be the turbo as it probably would of self destructed pretty quickly.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:52 PM

Good idea about the vanes moving, but I thought fore and aft movement was bad and it would have to move where the snap ring was to be the wheel. The noise is not there when the truck is cold so I am pretty sure it is not the turbo. I am going to think right now that it is the exhaust until i can get under the truck with a persons assistance.

Dodgezilla04 in a way I was hoping that it was my turbo, just to give me a reason to buy a bigger one.

Thanks
Rick

Quick Reply: Did I hurt my turbo?