3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Did I bust a head gasket or burn the turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks for the help. I havnt had time to mess with it at all since yesterday but it is apparent that it definatly should be just a boot failure or another hose clamp. I am prepared to fix this but I know I checked all the boots after I got home last night. I spent a little time and felt all the way around all of them. But I will check them again. Maybe tomorrow if we dont work 14 hours again.

So OT-OF-here you said that you have blown 3 in the past, were none of those rip's boots or were the just the factory ones? I'm just asking becouse you said they were lifetime warranty, right?

PD and Andy I think that makes lots of sence but dont you think if the turbo was really that damaged that it would act atleast slightly different until I hit 2000 rpm? Im just asking I have no experience at all with turbos.

Now tha big question is why. Why did it blow off? Is the smarty makin that much boost? I only ever see the Boost up to 38-39. I would think those clamps should be safe at those levels right? I also had the mp-8 all the way up for the first time in a week or so. Is this just all coincidence?

If i'm gonna switch my turbo out what is the cheapest/best solution?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a mechanical boost guage or are you readin it off of the att?

The cheapest and best solution are two differant things. Cheapest is prolly something like an HTB2, best of course would be twins.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan21
If i'm gonna switch my turbo out what is the cheapest/best solution?
There aint a cheaper solution to that!!! Unless you pick up a used stocker in the classified's!!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Well it sounds like boot or boost leak to me also. But you were playing with FIRE with a triple stack and stock turbo. MP-8 up all the way, Smarty Beta that has reported very high dyno numbers, Edge Juice/Attitude with no timing control. Seems like the turbo was on borrowed time.

BTW my stock turbo off my 04.5 is still in the classifieds.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:37 PM

Will im reading it off the att.

I was not talking cheapest to swapping out the stocker for another one. I guess I should have clarified that I was looking for a good single that would make a good bottom turbo for a set of twins. Maybe a little sleep would help.

Does anyone use the silver 66 as the bottom in their twins?

Ram wheels by four it isnt really a triple stack becouse the edge is always off.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned

I blew the boot that connects the turbo to intercooler piping inlet side and boy was it wicked sounding. FYI the 05 and up had wire rings placed around this hose to prevent expansion, unlike the ones on the 03-04.5 trucks. Tristan21 I would go with a 62/13 or 62/14 for your secondary turbo and like a HT3B for your primary. Let me know how you like my old wat/meth kit man good luck with the problem.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:55 PM

Thanks chris I will looks like I have a little job sorting out the poly tube and the wiring but it looks like the snow site has some pretty good pdf files in color if the install. On the turbo I think that sounds a little small. But what do I know.

So it sounds like boot failure is more of a common problem than I thought having never seen a thread on it. Maybe ive just been skipping over it.

I knew I would eventually blow or damage the stock turbo so I was prepared to eventually just not right now. Instead I'm pretty excited about it I just wish I had more time to plan, maybe if I can get some new boots from rip on Monday I will hold off a few weeks.

Will I think I know what your getting at, is it possible that the smarty or the mp8 is boost fooling the att. gauge right?

Without doing hours or research on what turbo would best suit my needs I was asking (after 2 weeks of 14 and 15 hour days straight so far) what is a good choice for a big single until I can afford the smaller one to stack on it?
I was thinking a 66 or A5K? I guess Im asking how livable are these large turbos as a single for several months. I figured that if cquest can tolerate it for 75,000 miles or so it would be alright.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:28 PM
wap

Tristan, you got it. With the mp8 alone on my truck I could hit 42-44 lbs and with that and the tst I could hit 54-55 on my stocker. A mechanical guage is in order for you.

IMO get a 62mm charger of your pleasure and THEN get the bottom turbo. You may be so happy with the upgrade from the stocker that you decide you dont need twins, not for a while anyway.

Did you ever find your problem?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:27 PM

I just got off work and so no I have had no time to look at the truck. I assume its the boots. This is the earliest ive gotten off work in a while so late at night before I go to bed I've been on the DTR and I havent even been able to think.

Are you not happy with your sps66 for daily driving? I thought a large on would be the way to go if my goal is to make alot of power?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:38 PM
wap

No, I am very happy with my SPS66. Is it perfect? No, it still doesnt cool quite as much as I would like but to ME there isnt much lag. I am kinda sorry I didnt got bigger but I got a good deal on the one I got.

The problem with a 66 is I think it would be a waste of money to try and run it as a bottom trubo in a set of twins. If you are gonna stick with a single I think the 66 may be the "jack of all trades". The other option is, get a 66 then when you decide to go with twins have it bumped back down to a 62 and use it as a top turbo.

This is just my opinion though, and you know what they say about opinions...
Old 07-15-2007, 08:34 PM

Ok I understand now. I just know im after more that 500 horses and I thought those were only good to about there so I knew I wouldnt be happy with it overall.

I just ran out and found a hose that was slipped enought to leak but it was on the other end of the piping underneath. I didnt try it yet but im guessing if it will hold then that was the only problem.

However I was thinking that I might as well get the studs and turbo while I was planning on it anyway. I think there are a couple in the classifieds. PM me if you know of anything else or think any of those would be a good choice.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 AM
wap

I am on my way out but I will take a look later and get back to ya.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 PM

Just to be on the safe side I would take a real good look at the turbo...you never know! My friends truck did the same thing only he thought it was a a loose boot. He had the same problems afterward black smoke and no power. Tunred out when he checked the turbo the bearings were shot.