3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Did I bust a head gasket or burn the turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I bust a head gasket or burn the turbo???

So I going 65 on the interstate I lit into the truck tonight and at WOT something real bad happened. I heard/ felt a loud sound from under the hood on the drivers side that sounded like a tire blowing or like a really big balloon popped. So I got out to find that the rubber boot that connects from the intake horn to the intercooler piping had blown off. As if the clamp wasnt tight enough or something but thos clamps that Banks gives you with the Techni-cooler only let you tighten till the spring is compressed and it still was.

Anyway I checked for codes and nothing but the checksum error. Put it back on and went about my way and 10 miles later I decide to goose it again and the same sound only alot quieter this time. I get out look and the hose is still on. Only now any rpm higher than 2000 gets me no more power just lots of black smoke.

The truck stops its rapid gain in power at 2000rpm but the truck acts normal until that point. And by normal I mean goin fast until then like nothins wrong and then I gotta baby it at 2000 and above.Im thinking I have a blown HG but then again could it be the turbo? I was figuring that the reason it only runs up that high is becouse after so much boost its leaking it all out the head or ive damaged some of the internal parts of the turbo and it wont turn at that level anymore.

I have to work tomorrow so I'll update this tomorrow night but any help is appreciated. I'm thinkin it may be time to make the TWINS commitment and throw on some studs. Whats my cheapest best solution for twins and studs?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:09 AM

Also if it is the head gasket is it totally bad if I baby it and drive a little until I go down for repairs. Gradually the truck acts no different. Well maybe 200 degrees hotter on the egts.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 AM

Doesn't a blown HG leave things messy under the hood? Or am I mistaken........
Old 07-13-2007, 12:26 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sure sounds like a turbo hose to me! Check all of them and might feel all around them to make sure one didn't split open too. Head gasket blowing usually means lots of white smoke out the tailpipe that smells like antifreeze or an antifreeze leak under the hood. Depends on where the gasket blows as to which symptom youll have. Hey another though....Do you have the plastic intercooler? They tend to blow at higher boost levels . Thats a pretty common problem too!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:35 AM

sounds to me like nothing more then a blown innercooler boot nothing to worry about
Old 07-13-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
....Do you have the plastic intercooler? They tend to blow at higher boost levels . Thats a pretty common problem too!
Looks like he has a Banks Techni-Cooler in his sig.........
Old 07-13-2007, 12:40 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
YUP! Missed that. Bought has to be a boot then. Unless the banks cooler went boom?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
YUP! Missed that. Bought has to be a boot then. Unless the banks cooler went boom?
Oh no! A Banks part going bad????????? no way!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by tristan21
So I going 65 on the interstate I lit into the truck tonight and at WOT something real bad happened. I heard/ felt a loud sound from under the hood on the drivers side that sounded like a tire blowing or like a really big balloon popped. So I got out to find that the rubber boot that connects from the intake horn to the intercooler piping had blown off. As if the clamp wasnt tight enough or something but thos clamps that Banks gives you with the Techni-cooler only let you tighten till the spring is compressed and it still was.

Anyway I checked for codes and nothing but the checksum error. Put it back on and went about my way and 10 miles later I decide to goose it again and the same sound only alot quieter this time. I get out look and the hose is still on. Only now any rpm higher than 2000 gets me no more power just lots of black smoke.

The truck stops its rapid gain in power at 2000rpm but the truck acts normal until that point. And by normal I mean goin fast until then like nothins wrong and then I gotta baby it at 2000 and above.Im thinking I have a blown HG but then again could it be the turbo? I was figuring that the reason it only runs up that high is becouse after so much boost its leaking it all out the head or ive damaged some of the internal parts of the turbo and it wont turn at that level anymore.

I have to work tomorrow so I'll update this tomorrow night but any help is appreciated. I'm thinkin it may be time to make the TWINS commitment and throw on some studs. Whats my cheapest best solution for twins and studs?

The Banks kit actually comes with some nice silicone hoses and spring loaded RG Gray clamps (which are the gold standard in the clamp industry). They hold my 60+psi for 20-25 seconds at a time quite well.

Basically you probably overlooked or misinstalled the boot or clamp etc.

Now: you either have another hose blown or you smoked the turbo when you blew the hose/clamp off.
When a hose blows under high pressure it obviously causes a loss of boost pressure but the bad thing is that a loaded turbo now becomes unloaded in a split second and causes a severe overspeed condition which can lead to turbo failure.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 AM

all new intercooler boots are about 150 or less I think. I have a set around in case something happens.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:23 AM

Ck the boots

Ck on especially the passenger side of the Intercooler. I've blown them off 3 times. It sounded much like you describe. Just speaking for myself, but I never had a boot that once it leaked or blew off that I was able to keep it from leaking,... I always had to replace it, fyi. To my knowledge Rip has the best boots and they're lifetime guaranteed.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 AM

thats where mine came from rip rook
Old 07-13-2007, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Now: you either have another hose blown or you smoked the turbo when you blew the hose/clamp off.
When a hose blows under high pressure it obviously causes a loss of boost pressure but the bad thing is that a loaded turbo now becomes unloaded in a split second and causes a severe overspeed condition which can lead to turbo failure.
How does the turbo sound and what boost are you seeing. Black smoke when you do not expect it means not enough air. So I think PourinDiesel hit it on the head.

Pull the inlet to the turbo and check it out for play or seizure.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
How does the turbo sound and what boost are you seeing. Black smoke when you do not expect it means not enough air. So I think PourinDiesel hit it on the head.

Pull the inlet to the turbo and check it out for play or seizure.
Now we're cookin' with fire!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:50 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like everyone else said about the boost leak or turbo turbo problem but if you want to double check the head gasket (for future referance as it doenst sound like a HG at all) check your oil for coolant and coolant for oil.

Quick Reply: Did I bust a head gasket or burn the turbo???