3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Diablosport Causing Engine to Defuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablosport Causing Engine to Defuel

I finally turned my Diablosport Predator on the 180hp extreme RKL level this weekend. When I got on it the truck would hit hard then feel like it was losing power and then hit hard again. Is this the engine defueling? The first time it happened I thought it was the clutch slipping. It has done it before on the 60hp tow tune while pulling my boat while driving it hard. The egts were fine. Didn't know if I was draining the fuel rail, losing fuel pressure or what. Anybody know? By the way the smoke was ridiculous!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:45 PM

If this is the engine defueling, is the truck doing it or is the Diablosport telling the computer to defuel?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 PM

It could possibly be your wastegate opening causing a loss of boost. That's a lot of power that that RKL tune makes. Definitely more than a stock turbo should handle.......
Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 PM

I thoght of that too. I took by boost fooler off. With it off my boost guage will bounce off 32 and go down and come back up. But with the RKL tune it hit 38. Yea way to much power for the stock clutch too. The clutch wasn't slipping, but I could have made it slip if I wanted to. I just wanted to try the RKL before I sale it. I've heard that the Diablosport is hard on injectors, but I think the power the programmer makes is under rated. My truck will smoke my buddies truck with Edge Juice w/attitude stacked with MP8. No comparison. His truck is the same year and same trans.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either that or your pump isn't keeping up with the Diablo programs.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 PM

If your injection pump is going bad will it cause a slight tapping noise? The engine makes a slight tapping noise when not under boost, but when boost comes on tapping stops. Does this with the programmer on or off, it's just louder with it on. I thought it could be an injector. Someone said I should try adjusting my valves, but the truck just has 34K. I don't think that is the problem. What do you think?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Well it shouldn't be the injector pump itself. Now the FCA could be sticking causing your issue but the tapping sounds normal, timing will help when driving, which your diablo will do.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:15 AM

My Predator had ALOT of timing rattle, it made the same noise that you are describing. I loved the mpg's and power but the engine noise and rough idle was scaring me so I went with the Smarty. I wish my Smarty had the power and mpg's that my Predator had.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by buzzard1
My Predator had ALOT of timing rattle, it made the same noise that you are describing. I loved the mpg's and power but the engine noise and rough idle was scaring me so I went with the Smarty. I wish my Smarty had the power and mpg's that my Predator had.
If you woulda had one of the betas it would run BETTER than the predator.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel87
If your injection pump is going bad will it cause a slight tapping noise? The engine makes a slight tapping noise when not under boost, but when boost comes on tapping stops. Does this with the programmer on or off, it's just louder with it on. I thought it could be an injector. Someone said I should try adjusting my valves, but the truck just has 34K. I don't think that is the problem. What do you think?
The rattle is probably just the CP-3 out of phase. Typical.

As for the nose over, its more than likely draining then picking up again. Thats pretty typical without a better LP and work to the IP.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Why does it rattle when the programmer is taken out? Not as bad but it still rattles. I am planning on getting a smarty but buzzard said that he wished his smarty had as much power as his predator. I've never heard that before! And what was the "beta" rip112 is talking about? Is the smarty easier on the engine than the Diablosport. I've heard Diablosports are hard on injectors. My buddy had one and it made is 05 rattle too. He got the smarty and it stopped.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 PM

The betas were a series of programs developed late 07-early 08 and tested . There were 3 programs in specific. 4.2 extreme (my word for it) 4.3 (wild tq management) 4.4 moderate tq management, a performance towing tune for modded trucks of sorts. You have to talk to Bob about that. If you order one through him, you may be able to get it loaded with one of the beta tunes but I'm not sure. The betas feel much more solid on the low end, at least for my truck, and monster top end. Highly modded trucks are getting more power out of the current brainchild TNT(/R) but the betas are just gnarly (in a good way). I've stuck with them and don't want to upgrade. I'd like to get the old 4.10 wild back for mileage, but that's about it.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel87
Why does it rattle when the programmer is taken out? Not as bad but it still rattles. I am planning on getting a smarty but buzzard said that he wished his smarty had as much power as his predator. I've never heard that before! And what was the "beta" rip112 is talking about? Is the smarty easier on the engine than the Diablosport. I've heard Diablosports are hard on injectors. My buddy had one and it made is 05 rattle too. He got the smarty and it stopped.
The rattle is the amount of rail pressure hammering the rail and CP-3 when it generates it. Add that to a pump slightly out of phase and it sounds bad.

Those boxes make great mileage, little smoke, and good power. Just hard on the inectors because of the maount of pressure and pressure ramp they run.

Smarty does not take pressure over stock, just ramps it different. It makes the power with timng and duration. Downside is more smoke.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 PM

Well if it is turned off it should stop rattling, right. Well it don't. It's just not as loud. What does it mean if your pump is out of phase? How do you fix it? And what causes it?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 PM

What does it mean if your pump is out of phase?

Quick Reply: Diablosport Causing Engine to Defuel