3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

diablo sport predator and puck

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diablo sport predator and puck

is this stack any good? im thinking bout taking my bullydog out and using this on my 03' does anyone have any feed back, does it smoke alot, does it give you the noticable power gains?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Reports on threads here say it is a good stack for the 03-04 crowd and better than the BDTD. I have no direct experience. Talk to CReed about it.

I have the smarty/puck stack now. Smarty is better than the Pred for sure. I do have surge problems with the puck on 60hp setting... not on the 90 hp setting though.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

My truck had some software issues with the diablo, like heard starts, ruff idel, and even the extreme rkl wasnt as powerfull as my Smarty on SW3.

Creed like soul said has had some luck the the diablo though.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 PM

i think the diablo works best on the 03-04s.there hasnt been many reported problems with them,ive had one for over a year and have loaded and unloaded many tunes including some custom tunes from johan and havent had any problems,it makes great power and on the rkl tunes she smokes pretty good,for the price i cant complain,i havent had any issues at all.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 PM

Friend had the Bullydog and switched to Diablo Stack. He couldnt be happier. Trucks runs better, gets better MPG, and cheaper
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had one for a bit. First I had a Hypertech, then I got the Diablo. Then I sold the DIablo and used the Hypertech for a while. Then I got a Smarty and sold the Hypertech.

Useless info there, but FYI.

The DIablo made good power, and massive smoke on the upper levels. It made my idle weird. Customer service seemed good when I bought it. As soon as I bought it, customer service sort of dried up.

The smarty is 10 times better than either of the two.

Good luck bra.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:19 PM

I am very pleased with my predator/powerpuck stack. Extreme will put out gobs of smoke, and extreme rkl is just plain rediculous. The power is very noticable, even on the performance setting.

Originally Posted by Armstrong Performance
even the extreme rkl wasnt as powerfull as my Smarty on SW3.
I tried the smarty on sw9 and was getting excited and ready to buy one but was very disappointed with the performance. I dont see how you could say that the sw3 put out more power than the extreme rkl.

Just my .02
Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 AM

I have both the Pred and Smarty. For me the Predator does not work right, throws codes, low power, excessive smoke etc. Smarty is a much better program hands down. Plus Diablo customer service is absolutely terrible!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 AM

The Predator on level nine definitely made big power. I got to give them that. What made me decide to sell it was when my idle started getting very rough. On the Diablo forum, others were complaining about the same thing. If I recall correctly, Diablo suggested trying to unload the tune and reload it to fix the idle. That is not the customer service I wanted. Some people love excessive smoke. I do not. I realized driving my truck in daylight was no fun because I was *****-footing the go pedal so much to avoid massive amounts of smoke.

FYI, the EGT's w/the smarty are much lower (upper levels that is, I have not really tried the lower levels of the Smarty for that long to tell).
Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 AM

Predator makes awesome smooth power on my truck. I have an 05' so from what I understand the 06-07's have much different programming from the factory and these trucks don't make the power that 03-05's do with the Predator. For $330, I'd love for someone to show me how I could make the power that Diablosport has given me. It is an absolute steal and the best money I've spent on modifying my rig for power. Hands down. Nuff said.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:08 AM

i like mine it makes alot of power, egts will get high. I do not have the puck but i am thinking about getting one
Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

I have owned them and for the money they make good power but their customer support has slumped off over the past few months and is imo non existent, and after the stuff that went down during and after diesel nationals this year I will never own one again. We tested bullydog triple dog with custom 06-07 race tune ran 13.7 all timing no pressure we added x2 quad with pressure stacker to run that time, Diablo went 13.426 or so at the time was my 2nd best pass ever that was stacked with x2 pressure tune same as with td wanted to compare apples to apples this was the non stacker seeing how all the stacker does is reduce timing, which makes not alot of sense to me but thats their business and I have never been a fan of their tunes their not safe to stack imo. Then we loaded up smarty beta 4.4sl catcher #9 and x2 stacker pressure truck made a pass of 13.33 then another pass right after that at 13.304. After all of this and had some free time to cruise the vendors area this was on a sunday I began to talk with the diablo techs about what just happened and was wondering when new updates or custom tuning would be available for us u7131 guys they had no idea and seemed to be more interested in his cigarette, This ****** me off and I asked him when he though they might quit false advertising then, this really hit them hard and the guy i could tell was ******. I then mentioned to him about some issues we have been seeing with the u7131 on trucks probably 10+ trucks with blown injectors all which developed after running the tuner on all different levels some on tow some on xtrm rkl luckily mine was not one of them. I also mentioned to him that the r16 is way behind with current tsb updates he said well thats johans deal im a ford engineer (this was cole) he asked well what do you mean i can relay it too him i said well their are several udates available out their and after they get done problems such as 1-2 shuttle shift are fixed, etc. and then as soon as the diablo is reinstalled it loads a later tsb into the truck and the problems reappear. It just did me in and then to see him bad mouthing me on diablo sport forumns really ticked me off and we no longer use their product. Just my .02 use it at your own risk and hope you have 0 problems b/c their tech. support is non existent, just check out their forumns page on their website they wont answer any questions to do with their product causing problems only answer to say that new updates will be out to those asking about new updates, they just tiptoe around the problem of customers, or this is the one I really loved when I told them about 1-2 shift issues coming back well can you take it back to the dealer and get them to reflash it? I told the guy FYI star only allows for 1 tsb update for that particular problem and if they know you have had it done and you come back again then they have probable cause to investigate further that just tips them off you were playing around in the ecm. Just my .02
Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 PM

I would love to have the top end power of Pred Extreme with the low end driveability of the Pred 100 hp tune - the touchy throttle on Extreme sucks! I've thought about a pressure box cuz the guys with only a psi box seem to get better mpg with them than the other kind of boxes. It won't be a puck tho! I've also thought about mild injectors cuz they're supposed to help mpg, too. What do you guys think? Craig
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM

I'm really happy with mine, the extreme tune made more power (SOTP) than the Smarty on 9 as one would expect from both mfgr's claims. I couldn't use my cruise control with the smarty it surged like mad, and the idle was very rough, especially when it went to high idle. Also the crazy low end made for no fun driving when slick/snowy. It's funny how we all have such different experiences. I can't say anything about customer service because I haven't needed it, that must count for something. I can say for sure though that the service from the DTR store was awesome when I bought my smarty. I sold it after 2 days.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:17 PM

I also was not thoroughly impressed with the Diablo. Glad it didn't cost more than it did. Same problems mentioned already - rough idle, surging, etc. Have since removed it altogether as I was still having surging issues even with the stock tune installed. I have a feeling it will be spending quite awhile laying in the box before I decide to play with it again. Might even see it show up here in the classifieds in the future

Quick Reply: diablo sport predator and puck