3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Decision time on a box EZ or BD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decision time on a box EZ or BD?

Hey Guys,

I am torn between an Edge EZ or a bullydog download. I am not going to do anything to my auto trans so huge power numbers are not a needed. I am mostly looking for the extra fun (get up and go) and also the extra towing power when needed or just wanted. I want something dependable as I am not much of a mechanic. I also dont want to kill egts. I do have a trans and post pyro gage as well as the intake and muffler.
What do you guys think. Any of you been in my situation? What would you do/buy if you had the chance I have. I know there is many opinions on many boxes but I am pretty set on either the EZ or the bd download. Thanks and I will let you guys know what I finally end up with in a few weeks or so. Later.
--------Chris
Old 11-04-2004, 07:36 PM

I would go with something that is in cab adjustable, IMHO that is one of the most important factors, when I am deciding on a chip.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:27 PM

Yeah,

The in-cab adjustiblity is a great thing. Outside of that I would go with the EZ for the simple fact it is removable and pretty much un-traceable. I do not know much about the BD, just wonder if you are re-programing the ECM if the dealer could find that fairly eazy. With both are will be your own warentee station!

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on the BD.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:47 PM

OK guys you need to actually say BULLY DOG because BD is an actual company http://dieselperformance.com/

I'm NOT trying to start a war or anything but let's be fair to BOTH companies.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:24 AM

I'm with bhoeffner, IMO your warranty is much safer with an EZ. Mine is removed everytime before it goes into the dealership for service. If you're not going to upgrade the TC the BD will probably be to much for the tranny to keep up with long term. On my truck when I stand on it with the EZ dialed up, the stall is wound up to around 2,800rpms. I'm far from an expert but that sounds a little high. Hopefully the Suncoast TC will go in before the end of the month.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, supergewl is right, stop calling bullydog BD! There is a totally separate company bd performance...
Old 11-05-2004, 07:46 AM

Something to think about also is the long term effect (if any??) of the EZ on the fuel system since it raises rail pressure to increase fueling.

The Bully Dog Power Pup 50hp tow setting (I think) does not change rail pressure, increases fuel with duration only. Plus has no extra parts to fail. IMO is a better option. There does seem to be some problems with it and 555's, but most 600 owners love them it seems.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:24 AM

Talking Re: Decision time on a box EX or BD?

Originally posted by firstgrp4
Hey Guys,

I am torn between an Edge EZ or a bullydog download. I am not going to do anything to my auto trans so huge power numbers are not a needed. I am mostly looking for the extra fun (get up and go) and also the extra towing power when needed or just wanted. I want something dependable as I am not much of a mechanic. I also dont want to kill egts. I do have a trans and post pyro gage as well as the intake and muffler.
What do you guys think. Any of you been in my situation? What would you do/buy if you had the chance I have. I know there is many opinions on many boxes but I am pretty set on either the EZ or the bd download. Thanks and I will let you guys know what I finally end up with in a few weeks or so. Later.
--------Chris
Chris I would go With www.Quadzillapower.com Quadzilla Tow module 50 HP- 100HP with a Flip of a switch from inside the cab. I love mine especially towing 18'' tot hauler full of toy's no problems with transmission at all. No problems with egt ether. plus no warranty problems thy don't even see it if you unplug it remove it before going in for work.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:27 AM

fwiw, the EZ for the 600 has in-cab adjustability for the 3 levels.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:42 AM
mro

James P,
Please expoound on the problem with the downloader and the 555's
Old 11-05-2004, 02:17 PM

The problem I was refering to was a less than inspiring performance gain. Dynoed gain with the Insane download was only like 68hp..... The advertised gain is something like 130hp.

There was actually two guys with 555's and that was the biggest gain of the 2 trucks.

I read that at TDR. There is a huge thread on the power pup.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:16 PM

James P, I've been following the threads on the bullydog pp, and didn't see that about the 555's. I've heard that some folks had a 'dead spot' in the rpm range but never such low numbers. Which thread exactly is that in?

By the way, the powerpup adjusts duration, pressure, and timing. On the lower setting it's just duration and timing, as you move up they incorporate low levels of pressure - so you can stack with another pressure box.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:40 PM

http://turbodieselregistry.com/forum...=114746&page=2

Took me a while to find since I have read so much about it.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:13 PM

There are several 555 owners on this thread that got great results..

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=115191

That thread you posted just had one guy with a defective box..
Old 11-05-2004, 06:05 PM

Get the programmer and the Outlook Monitor from BULLY DOG (not BD. Just kidding). Anyway, the Outlook will automatically defuel depending on where you set it. It's a neet deal and you can de-program to take to the dealer. As for in cab adjustment it's right there under your right foot. It's all kinds of adjustable and only takes varied degrees of pressure.

Quick Reply: Decision time on a box EZ or BD?