3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

decision.....HTT 64/71/13ss or 66/71/13ss

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
decision.....HTT 64/71/13ss or 66/71/13ss

ok guys i started a thread yesterday about upgrading my turbo from a 62/71/13 to a 64/71/13. then i got to thinking.....maybe i should upgrade to a 66/71/13. what do you think about the 66?

i hardly ever tow, race, or pull. just looking for a fun daily driver. i'm concerned about the lag but was wondering how much my 6 speed would help with spool. i would really like to hear from guys running both the 64 and 66

thanks
jason
Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That is a tough one. With a stick... maybe you'd be ok.

Some bigger sticks would help out a lot.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
That is a tough one. With a stick... maybe you'd be ok.

Some bigger sticks would help out a lot.
you're definitely right about the injectors!! i just ugraded those a few months ago and i don't know when i would be able to do that again
Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
When I first got my turbo, it was terribly laggy with the stock sticks. As soon as I got the 2.5's, it spooled better than stock.

If you can wait and save up some $$, do that. Your mods are very close to mine, except I'm running the regular revo.

You might be able to get away with that 16ss. I don't know about a 66, tho. What's it going to hurt? You'll just have an excuse to get bigger sticks!
Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 AM

my truck runs excellent. i would not tow much with it. i tow sleds in the winter and a 17 foot boat in th summer without an issue but surging has come into play only few times if i'm caught off gaurd and the converter is locked in around 50. I daily drive my truck in the city WITHOUT issues. i currently run tnt on level 1 and it drives great. on level 5 or 7, this turbo lights well. each truck acts slightly differrent but if you go with the 13ss housing, i feel most would be pleased. it delivers plenty of air up top for racing and sled pulling...i do both. i'm very happy even with stock sticks but i look forward to upgreading those in the future as i have no smoke at high rpms and this turbo can easily h andle another 100 horse or so. Feel free to send me questions and i will be happy to help in any way. I feel if towing isn't an issue, a 66 is the way to go with commonrails.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 PM

i run the prostreet...66/71/14. heres my experience. every truck will be slightly different, but most commonrails should behave similarly.
i tow a sled trailer in the winter and a flats boat in the summer. thats the extent of my towing. the turbo accomplishes these tasks fairly well. you just have to not lug it up a hill with converter lockup at slow speeds. i do not tow anything heavier and probably do not recommend it because of surging issues...at last with my current setup.
I daily drive the truck in the city and love it. the slight amount of lag doesn't stop it from being drivable at all. The top end of the charger is great for the drag racing and sled pulling i do. With the TNT, it lites fairly quickly and keeps thinks modestly cool.
I will switch to 100 horse injectors and the 13ss housing in the near future and can only imagine its drivability. any more injector than that and i may fight heat issues.
The 64 should allow you to tow heavier but the extra air of the 66 is a wonderful benefit well worth the limited towing capacity.
I live at sea level and thats something to take into account.
On the street, i run tnt level 1 and drivability is still excellent. boost approaches 40-42 lbs on that level and the truck responds well and developes almost no smoke which is how i want it when in the public. on the track, level 7 feels much stronger and my smoke clears up in the higher rpms...limit of my injectors and cp3.
i hope this helps you piece things together and if i can help give you additional info, please feel free to ask.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
You might be able to get away with that 16ss. I don't know about a 66, tho. What's it going to hurt? You'll just have an excuse to get bigger sticks!
this statement is very true thanks mark!!
Originally Posted by mainiac
i run the prostreet...66/71/14. heres my experience. every truck will be slightly different, but most commonrails should behave similarly.
i tow a sled trailer in the winter and a flats boat in the summer. thats the extent of my towing. the turbo accomplishes these tasks fairly well. you just have to not lug it up a hill with converter lockup at slow speeds. i do not tow anything heavier and probably do not recommend it because of surging issues...at last with my current setup.
I daily drive the truck in the city and love it. the slight amount of lag doesn't stop it from being drivable at all. The top end of the charger is great for the drag racing and sled pulling i do. With the TNT, it lites fairly quickly and keeps thinks modestly cool.
I will switch to 100 horse injectors and the 13ss housing in the near future and can only imagine its drivability. any more injector than that and i may fight heat issues.
The 64 should allow you to tow heavier but the extra air of the 66 is a wonderful benefit well worth the limited towing capacity.
I live at sea level and thats something to take into account.
On the street, i run tnt level 1 and drivability is still excellent. boost approaches 40-42 lbs on that level and the truck responds well and developes almost no smoke which is how i want it when in the public. on the track, level 7 feels much stronger and my smoke clears up in the higher rpms...limit of my injectors and cp3.
i hope this helps you piece things together and if i can help give you additional info, please feel free to ask.

that's a lot of good real world info, i really appreciate it i'll be in touch if i have any more questions for you

thanks
jason
Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Hmmmmm... thats a tough one there Jason!! Is this gonna be soon?

If you jump up injector size id say you might have to upgrade your Arson III kit as well to help handle the bigger sticks??????
Old 05-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bswope
Hmmmmm... thats a tough one there Jason!! Is this gonna be soon?

If you jump up injector size id say you might have to upgrade your Arson III kit as well to help handle the bigger sticks??????
hey buddy i agree with you on the cp3. the turbo is probably still a couple months out and the injectors......well i have no idea on when that may be. i'm having another kid in july so they're probably not gonna be done anytime soon.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 AM

I would definitely go with the 66 cause 2 months after you run the 64 you'll be like aw man i should have gone with the 66, it's cheaper to go big the first time than to go small then keep upgrading, trust me i know. My buddy is running the new adrenaline stacked with the smarty on stock cp3 and stix and he spools his silver bullet (66/74/14) pretty quick.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:24 AM

I would think it is according to how much lag you can tolerate. I guess it's all personal preference. Everyone feels different about that. I can't stand lag, but don't race and could care less about top end, while others love the way a bigger turbo lights up.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM

thanks for the replies guys, does anyone know at what approximate rpm the 66 starts spooling?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 AM

Usually around 1600-1800 rpm if i remember right.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by farmboykjb5.9
Usually around 1600-1800 rpm if i remember right.
thanks farmboy, on a different note, i was just out in state college a couple days ago