3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Dealer recommended I Mod my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer recommended I Mod my truck!

I took the truck in for a oil change. They had sent me a coupon for 34.99 oil change, which I think is a good price.
While waiting , I was chatting with the service manager and naturally talked turned to the price of fuel.
When he came out and said, I should put on a intake, exhaust, and chip on it to increase my MPG. I was totally surprised he would say that, so I acted stupid. I asked him what I should do. He said, put on a AFE intake, Banks exhaust, and a Banks programmer. That it would not hurt anything and not void my warranty and I would see an increase in MPG. I was totally shocked he would say that, when some dealer's want to void warranty's just for putting on an after market filter.
My truck is still 100% stock since I wanted to keep my warranty for a while. Maybe I'll do an intake, exhaust, and a smarty now! Lol
Just had to post the shock I received at the dealer.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Banned

some dealers are cool about it.

Don't count your chickens though cause I wouldn't doubt one bit, that if you were to go back to them with some sort of serious issue... they'd deny your warranty stating you used a programmer. The intake and exhaust won't cause catastrophic failure like a programmer can.

Covering it just means it will come out of their pocket, they're in business to make money... not spend it. IMO, proceed with caution :-)
Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Yea I know, I still don't trust the dealer even after telling me all that..LOL If I did anything , I wouldn't get all crazy and expect him to fix it.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 PM

I just took my truck in with a intake and single stack with a lift and all and they put a new trans and torque conveter in it. No questions asked.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:57 PM

My preferred Dodge dealer actually sells Bully Dogg products and reallly pushes there sell. The GM of this dealership has a 08' 6.7 single cab with Bully Dog set on perfromance that he drives as a demo... These guys are really cool!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:00 PM

My dealer told me the same thing this morning. Said that I should put a phat shaft 62 on to wake it up. I just said ok i will think about it.

The dealer here sells programers, intakes, glacier kits ect..
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Tell to put it in writing that if something happens, he's paying for it if DC does void the warranty.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 PM

I asked my dealer about mods , He said anything I put on it they can work around it.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 AM

It really depends on your dealer..... Some are great with mods others are not. One problem is if you ever have to take it to another dealer you may find your warranty void! As we always say if you bomb "I am my own warranty station".
Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 AM
tcr

Banks programmer? hmmmmm.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 AM

I have to wonder how DC feels about these dealers.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM

Have them install it too, and it becomes a dealer installed item. Just be sure to read the fine print...
Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM

I find it really hard to believe the dealers would warranty a motor if you burned it down with a programmer.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Man I wish my dealer was half as friendly as these. I had a clicking in the front end of my truck when I turned. It turned out being the front u-joints which they ended up covering. This was before the level and tires, and all I had was intake and exhaust, and they said I may have voided my entire warranty because of my "PERFORMACE AFTERMARKET PARTS" and it was a heavily modified truck. I just laughed, and told him if he thinks that is a "heavily modified truck" he has never seen a modded truck. They're idiots...
Old 06-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Dealers don't warranty the truck, Dodge does. They can choose to not report everything to Dodge, at their own risk, but the final decision on warranty isn't the dealers to decide. The one thing where you might get burned is on injectors (well a melted down piston might be the same). Dodge does not just give em out, they often send out a rep to ok the job for the dealership. I went through this, they ok'd 2 cp3's trying to fix the problem and one injector. None of which fixed the problem Star was going to check the truck themselves before they ok'd all 6 injectors. My mod friendly dealer told me to come get the truck. They did all they could and I was thankfull.

Just keep in mind a mod friendly dealer only removes a tattle-tale from the equation. Star can still take matters into their own hands, they usually don't but they can.

Quick Reply: Dealer recommended I Mod my truck!