3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Darens Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2003Ram
I would say you're on the extreme end and it looks like you could use all the help you can get. Nice truck - I noticed your avatar. If I had something with all that cash in it, I wouldn't be blasting off road. I save that stuff for the toys. See my avatar.
At this height, I am surprised that I can get away with the factory stabilizer, but it drives as good as factory. I did the brace at the same time as the lift, but I am sure that it made a difference. I am not into mega toys, I prefer to wrench on one thing at a time. It would be nice to have the time and money for the other goodies, but not right now. I don't trail bash or anything, but I do like to "play" in the truck. I have friends that are so busy working on their;trucks, sleds, boats, quads, and whatever else that none of them get any use. It would be nice to break something offroad, and still have a ride to work on Monday though
Old 07-01-2007, 09:52 PM

The DSS is a great unit for a few reasons. I suggest everyone get one eventually as it can save the gearbox pitman shaft from breakage(rare), keeps the output bushings from wearing, keeps the pitman seal from leaking when this bushing wear happens, and takes some slop out of the steering...

Also, these trucks are so heavy, the gearbox could use the help...

edit: I've also seen gearboxes that weeped a bit from the pitman shaft, and once the DSS was on it didn't weep anymore..
Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 AM

With Don Thuren recommending the DSS, I'm definitely convinced. I'm ordering one today, and with any luck, have it on by the beginning of next week. Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 AM

They are worth the money...I run one too!

Mine stopped a slight leak...
Old 07-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Hey Don, didn't know you were on here. Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous of your weather conditions this time of year, over here by Fresno is a little toasty right now.

YES YES YES on the DSS, definitely necessary no matter what kind of driving you do. at the absolute minimum, if you don't care about road feel/steering reaction/driving characteristics, it'll save you from destroying the gearbox/sector shaft bushing/seal and having to replace gearboxes somewhat frequently when it starts leaking.
to me, it's worth doing just for the tighter steering feel. especially for mountain driving.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I installed an SSSSS on the '05 after I watched the stock unsupported sector shaft flexing under lateral loads from the steering gear.

It helped tighten the steering feel while driving, and reduced the parked steering effort even with the 37" Toyos. Besides, the SSSSS's ( ) integral swaybar drop-mount makes it an even greater value!

Is there a web link to this one so other may inquire.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by BLACK PEARL
Is there a web link to this one so other may inquire.
Check out the Lazersmith ad that keeps on popping up. He's a DTR advertiser. Can't remember the exact site though.

Edit: It's Lazarsmith.com. Just saw the ad.

Last edited by t-boe; 07-04-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We'll have more info up on the site pretty soon, and we're installing an SSSSS on a customer's truck at the ODRA DFW Truck Showdown next weekend - I'm sure there will be photos and feedback from that!

Pricing and details should be up on lazarsmith.com by then...

Old 07-07-2007, 05:13 PM

How much of a drop would be appropriate for a 2" lift in the front?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I installed an SSSSS on the '05 after I watched the stock unsupported sector shaft flexing under lateral loads from the steering gear.

It helped tighten the steering feel while driving, and reduced the parked steering effort even with the 37" Toyos. Besides, the SSSSS's ( ) integral swaybar drop-mount makes it an even greater value!

what did you use to extend the shaft??? i am thinking of making one of these myself
Old 07-07-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 03dodgeoffroad1
what did you use to extend the shaft??? i am thinking of making one of these myself

He sells them. I don't think he's going to divulge that info since it makes him money.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:41 PM

I was going to extend the links for the front sway bar and need to know how much more they should be extending? Anyone know this? Would it be the same amount as dropping it like XLR8R did? If so what is that measurement? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 PM

If you've added 2" to the front you should add about 1.5" to 2" to the links or a drop bracket. Just IMHO.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 PM

That's what I thought the ratio was 1:1 But wasn't real sure, thanks! I have to replace those rubber deals on the links so I thought I might as well buy longer ones while I was at it. By adding that amount to the links, what will I notice or will it do?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:00 PM

It just brings the sway bar back in line with the rest of the suspension so it won't bind up. I don't think you'll notice too much of a difference.

Quick Reply: Darens Steering Stabilizer