3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Dang machine shops won't touch my H2 rims..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Zilla........Im not being smart, but if you dont want to use to router on them you definately DONT want to use a rotozip........to hard to control and likes to walk all over the place.........well at least mine does.

tom
Old 03-19-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by checkster
Hey Zilla........Im not being smart, but if you dont want to use to router on them you definately DONT want to use a rotozip........to hard to control and likes to walk all over the place.........well at least mine does.

tom
I agree. I would use a router before a Rotozip.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 PM

I quadroople the whole in the wall shop. I was completely sceptical about the shop I dropped my wheels off at. The guy who ran the shop was probably 60, in a wife beater, smoking, looking like he should be on a stretcher...and his son, who actually did the work was a step away from being mentally ill or handicap. In the end, it turned out perfectly, but I was sure worried!

Go to the whole in the wall, the old man and dumb son need your money for new sets of teeth!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:30 PM

A router's not the safest tool around. I don't think learning how to use one by opening up your rims is a real good idea.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 PM

center hole is how most tire shops balance your wheels....

has anyone have problems getting wheels to balance after opening by hand?

new Hummer takes off can be had for cheap... sure is tempting
Old 03-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Opening up the center by trimming the lip that is on the inside of the wheel shouldn't effect the beveled surface on the back of the wheel, which is where the machines run off of. Now openeing up more than 5" will remove the bevel and that could lead to probs. A router will trim the lip off following the outer larger part of the hole (provided the user doesn't tip the router). The end result should be a hole that looks like a pro did it...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 PM

I would mount the tires and get them balanced before opening them up. Judging by my recent history, I doubt I'll still have the truck by the time the tires wear out. As for the Rotozip and/or router, I did my last set with a holesaw which was not the easiest way to do them. I had no problems doing it that way. I may call a couple more shops to see if anyone will do them. If not then I'm getting a bit irritated and may not mess with these rims at all. My truck has a tire pressure monitoring system and that it proving to be a pain too.........
Old 03-19-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I would mount the tires and get them balanced before opening them up. Judging by my recent history, I doubt I'll still have the truck by the time the tires wear out. As for the Rotozip and/or router, I did my last set with a holesaw which was not the easiest way to do them. I had no problems doing it that way. I may call a couple more shops to see if anyone will do them. If not then I'm getting a bit irritated and may not mess with these rims at all. My truck has a tire pressure monitoring system and that it proving to be a pain too.........
They'll balance just fine after machining. I'm on my second set...

Just use a router with a flush bit. Set the height so the bearing is on the flat portion of the center of the rim. All you are removing is the little curved lip. There will be plenty of meat on the back side of the wheel for the balancing cone...

I had both sets done by a machine shop before I knew about the router bit, but if I had a third set I'd do it myself.

A rotozip is too hard to control.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done 2 sets of Hummer wheels for fellow chapter members. I'll do yours too if you can get them to Baltimore. Don't mount the tires on them though, won't fit in the Milling machine.
Here is a link for doing them.
Hummer wheel
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM

Question

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
I've done 2 sets of Hummer wheels for fellow chapter members. I'll do yours too if you can get them to Baltimore. Don't mount the tires on them though, won't fit in the Milling machine.
Here is a link for doing them.
Hummer wheel
Hey Scott can you shoot me a pm with a price to bore out a set of H2 rims??

Thanks for the help.....

Steve
Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM

Heck yes. PM sent........
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Forget the machine shop. Find yourself a carpenter. They all have routers.

John
Old 03-19-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On second thought, it's way too hard to do it. But I'd be glad to take the wheels off your hands...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
Forget the machine shop. Find yourself a carpenter. They all have routers.

John
Yes we do....
Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 AM

Well, if someone wants to buy them and save me the trouble then.........

Actually, the more I think about it the less I want to do this. So, if someone wants to buy them or trade some Dodge rims for them then PM me. I'd LOVE to find some steel ST rims.........

Quick Reply: Dang machine shops won't touch my H2 rims..