3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Custom Suspension Build - pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
I was just looking at the original rears last night. This new design looks good though.
The original is still available, but I just can't seem to keep the curve from appearing. it happens sometime between the bulk of the welding and grinding.

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
Evan, I'm guessing you could make that rear in a wrap-around-the-dually-fender style also......Ben
I'm sure we could do that. However, if you'll notice - this one comes very close to the fenders. I would think that a bumper of this style that covers part of the fenders would be very very wide looking.

Originally Posted by ljvsnyder
Looks good. Have you had anyone order a rear bumper for a half-ton with dual rear exhaust? I am thinking about putting dual rear exhaust like the half-tons on my 3/4 ton. Do you think it would be possible to run the exhaust in such a manner?
I have done one. It's a little different style, but you get the idea if I can find the pic. If you just want the cutouts, that's definitely not a problem. I would just need to know exactly where to put them.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Backwoods Bumpers
I'm sure we could do that. However, if you'll notice - this one comes very close to the fenders. I would think that a bumper of this style that covers part of the fenders would be very very wide looking.
This is the style I had in mind...I'm not ready to swap out yet, but I like the extra protection I get from mine......Ben

Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warping is a problem for us too when when we do large weldments. We often tack them to the top of our 1" weld table, then move around from seam to seam as we weld. We also do all of the tacking prior to welding all the seams. It is hard for us to pull (warp) the table and it keeps things much more flat. The welders don't cut it loose until it has cooled completely. That is the best we have found to minimize warping.

If you are already trying some or all of the above, and they are still warping some, ask your steel vendors about supplying you with stretcher leveled or temper passed material. Both techniques are done at the leveler, and give a major reduction in internal stress in the steel.

I have a lot of respect for your work, and pass this on only hoping to help because I am a fan of the smaller, straighter bumper pictured. I am in the sheetmetal industry, and it has taken quite a while to get people to give up the best tips and tricks.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

That is great advice. I hadn't thought to tack it to the table. That might help a lot!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy to help an already great product.

We use these with the heavy the duty pad also, to keep from constantly tacking and grinding on our bench. They are extremely strong.
http://www.stronghandtools.com/products/clamp/c3.html

Did you see the guy on here that galvanized two of your bumpers on a light colored truck? they look awesome.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jstone44720
Happy to help an already great product.

We use these with the heavy the duty pad also, to keep from constantly tacking and grinding on our bench. They are extremely strong.
http://www.stronghandtools.com/products/clamp/c3.html

Did you see the guy on here that galvanized two of your bumpers on a light colored truck? they look awesome.

I did see that. To be honest, I was unsure at first about the results. However, after seeing it, I'm sold. They turned out great!

Thanks for the link. I have not seen that style clamp with all the extra add-ons. I will definitely have to invest in a set.