3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Custom Suspension Build - pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Custom Suspension Build - pics

I know everybody likes pictures, so I thought I would dedicate a thread to the custom suspension build that we're doing right now. Let me know what you think!

This is the shop "test mule". It's my 2006 3500 reg cab DRW G56 4x4. I have 3 goals in mind.
1) lift it up for advertising attention (plus I love lifted duallies)
2) Make the suspension and steering far superior to the stock setup
3) Build a desert/pre-runner inspired long travel suspension that improves ride quality and performance

With this in mind, I decided on a radius arm setup. This setup is not optimal for typical off-road use, because the design does not lend itself to lots of articulation. However, it is a good setup for lots of travel and higher speeds. For every step, I tried to use good quality products, but also on a tight budget.

Here's what I had done to the truck before this build:

Front - 2" leveling kit, Thuren track bar
Rear - stock with cheap eBay 2" dually spacers
Stock wheels with 315/70R17 Goodyear A/T extreme tires
Attached Thumbnails Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag0703.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Here's the new plan:

Front
-9" lift total
-48" long radius arms, fabricated
-Thuren 6" soft ride coil springs plus 3" spring spacer
-Thuren track bar with track bar drop
-Thuren Crossover steering
-Bilstein Shocks and dual steering stablizers
-steering box brace, fabricated

Rear
-Custom 6" lift leaf springs build by Atlas leaf spring, to my specs (long travel, soft ride)
-Bilstein 5100 shocks
-new 2.25" dually wheel spacer (hub centric)

Misc - t-case indexing ring (attitude performance), probably a fabricated drop crossmember, if needed
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

step 1 - I overloaded the parts truck with 12 wheels and tires and went to the tire shop for mounting and balancing! I had them balanced with Equal balancing powder (the drop-in bags). Also, I don't have any up-close pics, but I had two wheels modified for my front wheels. I started with two stock dually wheels, and had the centers cut out and turned around. That moved the rim out almost 2.5" each side. I didn't want to run spacers up front, but I needed the backspacing to clear the Thuren steering setup.

step 2 - I had to test fit the tires with the stock setup.... I bent the fender a little as soon as I tried to turn the wheels.

step 3 - time to remove all the steering and suspension and cut the stock mounts off! I made some stands for the truck to keep it safe while we work on it. They should hold the truck pretty close to final ride height.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1250.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1251.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1252.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1266.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1310.jpg  

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

By the way - don't mind the messy condition of the shop! This is the back corner where I do my personal projects and it stays cramped up!

We cut off the factory control arm mounts and ground the frame smooth (I'll weld the cuts and polish everything smooth later). Here is a foamcore mock-up. It is 48" from the center of the lower mounting point on the axle to the center of the mounting point on the frame. Also, I used a reamer to drill the steering knuckles and pitman arm out to 3/4" for the Thuren steering setup. His crossover steering is a beefy piece of art! I took about ten million measurements to locate the axle. It is within 1/16" of being square with the rest of the truck. Interestingly, it seems that the tolerances from the factory are somewhere around 1/8" or more. Basically, the axle might be perfectly square with the frame, but not the rear axle, or the other way around. The body may or may not be square with the truck. So I chose to make my most critical adjustment between the front and rear axle. They should be almost perfectly parallel now. Less than 1/16". The front axle is close to 1/16" of being square with the frame. I also moved it forward about 1" to 1.5", depending on which truck I compare it to.

I'll post progress pics of the actual radius arms later. I'm off to the shop for now.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1269.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1311.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1364.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
holy smokes evan!!! i'll be watching this one!!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Ok, here's the real work! The arms are 48" from the center of the lower mounting point to the rear mounting point. Each side of each arm is double walled 3/16" with internal gussets and tubing welded to each piece of 3/16". here are some "progress pics" of the arms.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1370.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1374.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1375.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

A few more
Attached Thumbnails Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1376.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1382.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1384.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1385.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

After a long day, I finally got to take her for a drive! I put in a new clutch (SB 3600dd), new transmission (G56 ordered for an 08 for the higher 6th gear), installed the Crossover steering and tightened up all the bolts in the new suspension. I chose to drive it with no shocks or steering stabilizers. I wanted any potential problems to show themselves. It seemed like a very successful test run. The suspension is very soft and smooth and the steering is unbelievably tight and responsive. I'll have to track down a vibration tomorrow, but it seemed to be coming from the rear. Other than that, everything worked excellent. Here are a few pics from tonight

Also, it's harder to tell in the pics, but the leaf springs didn't raise the truck as much as they were supposed to. A 2" fabricated block will make it sit perfectly level.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1386.jpg   Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1387.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is AWESOME! Thanks for the pics and the write up!!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking nice man, I've always love seeing a lifted single cab dually.

Just curious, why do you have a snowmobile in AR?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Haha, that's not a snowmobile... it's a fieldmobile. Actually, it seems like a good choice as a donor for a build I have in mind. Belt drive, fuel injection, etc. For now, it is just a conversation piece.

On to the truck - I took it for another test drive today. I was too tired last night to tell much, but now I'm completely satisfied with the way it drives. Even with no shocks or stabilizers or sway bar, it has almost no wander or wobble. There is a minor pull to the left, but I haven't really aligned it yet. Today's project will be a steering box brace/ sway bar drop.

On a side note - the new SB dd 3600 clutch is amazingly smooth. I expected it to be a little jerky and noisy, but it's not. If I didn't install it, I would've thought it was a mild single disc. I'm really impressed.

I would also like to compliment Thuren's products. Most agree that he makes top notch stuff. I already had his track bar. For anybody considering his steering, I say go for it.

Here's a picture I snapped at the gas station. I can't wait to put some 2" blocks under the back...
Attached Thumbnails Custom Suspension Build - pics-imag1388.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Awesome build!! I have to ask about the front wheels. I know they are dually rims. Were they cut and welded back together for the backspacing you wanted or what?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin great! Way to go on building your own stuff!

--Eric
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice setup looking to market them?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jimbo486
Awesome build!! I have to ask about the front wheels. I know they are dually rims. Were they cut and welded back together for the backspacing you wanted or what?
Exactly. I wanted the wheels out further, but I didn't like the idea of spacers up front. Flipping the centers around lost about 2 1/2" of backspacing.

Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
Nice setup looking to market them?
Thanks, and I'm not sure yet. I few local guys want long travel suspension for their trucks, and I'll definitely build them. I would love to start making more products like this, but I don't want to step on the toes of those who are already so dedicated to this type of thing.

Quick Reply: Custom Suspension Build - pics