3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Cummins Embarassed by PowerCHOKE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitusa
Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 PM

i ran a gdp before with the old truck, and this new truck has a fass system on it. i like the fass, they been around a while. the air dog is pretty much them same.
here is the difference:
i noticed the filters on my new used truck were still original fass filters, truck starts hard, so i priced out the filters from a truck shop here local, and trhey are very expensive, like 150 for the pair. i like to change out my filters often.
the air dog uses different filters, and i also priced them out, 50 bucks for the pair.
so that being said, keep in mind that the filters for the fass are more money, not sure how much mileage you put on your truck, but for me, its going to be cheaper to go out and buy a new air dog system. and sell off the fass system, cause the filters are hard to get and too much money for my area.i would stay in the 150gph range, so that way you can do more up grading too.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 AM

I'm sorry If you don't know what ET's your running & racing against a Ford
Your quarter may be the 16's & yup thats fast for a Powerjoke .....may b your turbo's cooked
Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by kanuckle head
I'm sorry If you don't know what ET's your running & racing against a Ford
Your quarter may be the 16's & yup thats fast for a Powerjoke .....may b your turbo's cooked
Im truthfully not sure.... I know my truck is quick i mean it feels impressive, but he can jump the line SOOOOOOOOOO much harder than i can right off the line his back bumper goes to the front of my truck and pretty much stays there.

I went ahead and ordered the Airdog II 165 gph while i was at it i also got the filter replacement light for the airdog, and a boost fooler (dont know if necessary but we will see)

I am hoping with the Airdog I will be able to switch to a different tune on my smarty pod..... all though i am willing to say i have no friggin idea which one it is that i need.... I have done some reading and i get confused by the TNT, Revo, TNT R, etc..... I have no clue which one i should be looking at.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 PM

i whould also maybe lower ur tq man. maybe tq 2
the reason being is when u lay into it u run out of fuel and the stock pumps (cp3) will not keep up and u will be left still in the hole
do u have a fuel press gauge it maybe helpful
Old 07-22-2009, 03:54 PM

What year (engine) was the Ford? Just curious, want to know how well the 6.4s do against the 5.9s.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Crude dude
What year (engine) was the Ford? Just curious, want to know how well the 6.4s do against the 5.9s.

It was the stock 6.0 with just the bully dog and straight piped.....

I have a fuel Pressure gauge and when spooling it up it tops out at around 23,000 and holds it there until launch (then if i remember right it goes to 15K)
Old 07-23-2009, 03:21 PM

OK Guys Ive Been doing some reading and Im not sure that I'm launching correctly and maybe thats some of the problem???? I dunno but im thinking that my truck should be faster!!!

Here is how i do it:

4WD and I spool it up till i hit my max boost level (i think like 31-32) and just hold it there till the tree lights green then i let off the brakes and mash the pedal
Old 07-23-2009, 04:02 PM

thats a lot of boost
but thats not ur problem ..... yet
u might want to try an arson kit and a lift pump
heres a couple reasons why ur rail could be so low
1. ur fuel press. is to low and it's starving the cp3 ( need fuel pump)
2.maybe ur cp3 is weak ( need arson kit)
3. or ur injectors are leaking press. but i don't think this is ur problem just my trucks problem/ ur gauge would never get up to 23k if ur injectors were leaking
Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by rebel102285
Here is how i do it:

4WD and I spool it up till i hit my max boost level (i think like 31-32) and just hold it there till the tree lights green then i let off the brakes and mash the pedal
I looked at your sig and did not see any transmission parts. Are you really spooling 31PSI with the stock tranny at the staging light? If so, I bet the tranny is slipping all the way down the track.

On my '06 with a built tranny, I won't spool past 8PSI while standing still. I am afraid to replace the tranny parts...

---EDIT---
OOPS - scratch that. I did not see the first line in your sig.

sorry...
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
either your not launching right and he is getting the jump on you or he has more than what he said and more than you know. All I have is a hot juice, full exhaust and intake and I can take a 6.0 powerchoke with with well more than what you were racing. They are pretty dang slow...... I only launch around 8-10 lbs at most though.....
Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought,does the Ford have 4.10's ??
Old 07-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Are his tires 35 inches tall too? They are slowing you down IMO
Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by rkelley
I looked at your sig and did not see any transmission parts. Are you really spooling 31PSI with the stock tranny at the staging light? If so, I bet the tranny is slipping all the way down the track.

On my '06 with a built tranny, I won't spool past 8PSI while standing still. I am afraid to replace the tranny parts...

---EDIT---
OOPS - scratch that. I did not see the first line in your sig.

sorry...
x2!!! If your tranny is stock, its shot. It has to be slipping big time. 31psi is crazy. I'm surprised you made it down the track.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
x2!!! If your tranny is stock, its shot. It has to be slipping big time. 31psi is crazy. I'm surprised you made it down the track.
I can tell you he aint launchin at 31psi unless he took the shift defuel off. There is no way. I tried to launch at 35psi one time and the end result was a snapped intermediate so i leave that alone

Quick Reply: Cummins Embarassed by PowerCHOKE HELP!!!