3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

crisp throttle response?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crisp throttle response?!

Questions for the DTR experts....

crisp throttle response is always a good thing. My truck doesn't have it anymore. It feels laggy and slower to respond. What controls this?

I thought it was just my mileage since most other CTD's i drive are newer....but after driving an 03 with 60k on the clock, i thought again.

my truck is an 05 with 63k on the clock, a hard 63k. 30k of those miles are modded miles. I've been over 40psi at WOT for 20k or more miles now.

After speaking with an expert (PourinDiesel), I was informed that valve springs are a good buy anytime you are past 40psi and run the truck hard. Do valve springs help control throttle precision? I'm obviously no mechanic but am very eager to learn.

Furthermore, whatever this so called problem may be might be the answer to a lot of my twin problems.....

I'm all ears
Old 06-02-2007, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4

crisp throttle response is always a good thing. My truck doesn't have it anymore. It feels laggy and slower to respond. What controls this?

I thought it was just my mileage since most other CTD's i drive are newer....but after driving an 03 with 60k on the clock, i thought again.

my truck is an 05 with 63k on the clock, a hard 63k. 30k of those miles are modded miles. I've been over 40psi at WOT for 20k or more miles now.

After speaking with an expert (PourinDiesel), I was informed that valve springs are a good buy anytime you are past 40psi and run the truck hard. Do valve springs help control throttle precision? I'm obviously no mechanic but am very eager to learn.

Furthermore, whatever this so called problem may be might be the answer to a lot of my twin problems.....

I'm all ears
I THINK (and think being the operative word there) that cams will help this a great deal. I know that the Smarty and Helix 2 cam made a HUGE difference in throttle response and revving. My truck revs more like a gasser than a turboed diesel.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:57 AM

Truck problems, problems, problems

I'm all ears

I think more of us have problems than we know. For instance you and I have messed around trying different stuff for a long time,.... there is a price for everything. I've had a problem for several months and recently discovered I have multiple problems. I finally got the dealer to agree to send a tech out with me with his DRBIII plugged in. He ran me through all kinds of jirations and he was absolutely sure I had two electronics problems. A bad TPS (throttle positioning sensor),... which sounds like your problem to me, and he confirmed my and John Issac's diagnosis that the ECM is faulty and it's been reprogrammed and the problems persists. The key is the truck acts up in a number of ways and "throws NO codes"!!

Now the dealer can sometimes "reset" the throttle position sensor". Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Either way if you have a performance friendly dealer he may overlook all the c...p on your truck. However, never go in with any downloader or electronic box on the truck so you can get the best opportunity to get them to be serious about fixing your truck.

Oh,... it only takes about 10 mins to change out a TPS,... heck maybe you want to take one off a buds truck just to see.

My $.02 and MY experience with this issue. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Banned

x2 for the TPS. Like Out-OF-Here said you can have the TPS reprogramed, but that requires a DRB or a trip to the dealer to let them do it.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Banned

say i went and bought a TPS. How much money are we looking at?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Banned

hmmm I dont know give ol Lithia a call and see...
Old 06-02-2007, 10:06 AM

973604x4: How are you doing with the new twins?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thmck
973604x4: How are you doing with the new twins?
not as good as i would like. Still working on them.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So mine is a dog out of the hole too. I just thought it was the turbo - but now I wonder. My truck will be at Floor It in another week and John has a DRB. Anyone know how to reprogram/reset the TPS in case John doesn't?

OT-OF-Here..
John and I are starting to get suspicious that my ECM might be jacked up as well. So it can be reprogrammed? Is that done by the dealer or can John do it with the DRB? I'm having other issues right now that he is trying to get worked out for me, but last time we tried to dyno, it wouldn't break 460hp. It was like the ECM was just cutting power because it didn't like something, but no codes.

973604X4..
Sorry for the thread jack on the 2nd part of my post.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:30 AM

I always seem to notice a similar feel when my filters are a bit dirty. I clean the air, and replace the fuel filter and I seem to get some response back. I also notice temperature and humidity changes make a noticable difference, not alot I can do about that though!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:46 AM

How much for a TPS

say i went and bought a TPS. How much money are we looking at?
I have a friend with a 2nd gen who bought one recently and it was $375.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:55 AM

So Weird!!!

Originally Posted by omaharam
So mine is a dog out of the hole too. I just thought it was the turbo - but now I wonder. My truck will be at Floor It in another week and John has a DRB. Anyone know how to reprogram/reset the TPS in case John doesn't?

OT-OF-Here..
John and I are starting to get suspicious that my ECM might be jacked up as well. So it can be reprogrammed? Is that done by the dealer or can John do it with the DRB? I'm having other issues right now that he is trying to get worked out for me, but last time we tried to dyno, it wouldn't break 460hp. It was like the ECM was just cutting power because it didn't like something, but no codes.

973604X4..
My truck kept doing 477hp and then made a right turn on the dyno graph and just was an absolutely straight line,... no pun,... straightlining,.... and that was at exactly 2450 rpm and then the hp wouldn't go any higher but the rpm went up as it should. It didn't make a hoot what downloader or box or what was on the truck,... 477 and 2450 rpm. Sick. The dealer thinks it's bad too but I still don't know if he can get-r-done for me with all the red tape. I may have to go buy a wrecked one and have it reprogrammed to my vin if nothing else. I'm sure John told you that mine had NO codes at any time while this was going on. Freaky. The dealer tech also verified the TPS was bad at that point too and that goes on next Wed.

i'm at Indy,... more power Freaks to go watch,.... Im Out-Of-Here. Later.

Last edited by OT-OF-Here; 06-03-2007 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Sp?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

OT-OF-Here..

973604X4..
no problem bud, its good food for thought.

Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
I have a friend with a 2nd gen who bought one recently and it was $375.
ouch, nevermind that idea.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
My truck kept doing 477hp and then made a right turn on the dyno graph and just was an absolutely straight line,... no pun,... straightlining,.... and that was at exactly 2450 rpm and then the hp wouldn't go any higher but the rpm went up as it should. It didn't make a hoot what downloader or box or what was on the truck,... 477 and 2450 rpm. Sick. The dealer thinks it's bad too but I still don't know if he can get-r-done for me with all the red tape. I may have to go buy a wrecked one and have it reprogrammed to my vin if nothing else. I'm sure John told you that mine had NO codes at any time while this was going on. Freaky. The dealer tech also verified the TPS was bad at that point too and that goes on next Wed.

i'm at Indy,... more power Freaks to go watch,.... Im Out-Of-Here. Later.
Know how you feel. No codes for me either. Hit 2200prms and flatlined at 460hp. Tried different settings, with and without the downloader, different pressure box - 460hp every time.
Guess it sucks to be us!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

Know how you feel. No codes for me either. Hit 2200prms and flatlined at 460hp. Tried different settings, with and without the downloader, different pressure box - 460hp every time.
Guess it sucks to be us!
this occured after using what downloader?

Quick Reply: crisp throttle response?!