3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Crazy larry or PPE??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghost24
........... I am running 48 psi not 48 pounds of fuel only 20-21 pounds of fuel....I think right now i am going to stick with my crazy larry,............
That's a LOT of boost for a stock turbo. Might wanna be careful or you will be buying a new one sooner than later.

also my egts never go above 1200, but my friends 06 with all the same mods well he has an intake and a intake manifold, his has pegged out the gauge at 1500
That's also a pretty high EGT. Hopefully he doesn't do that all the time and keep it pegged.

Originally Posted by cgmorgan06
Only 1200 on crazy larry? Is your egt probe located after the turbo? If so that could account for the low egt numbers.
I've been wondering the same thing. That sounds really cool for Crazy Larry especially considering he doesn't have an air intake.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:47 PM

honestly, I wish some more people would run the PPE, b/c if PPE can do what they can do w/ the DMAX as they can with the Cummins it should be as fast as the smarty
Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

I know Bobby at Dark Side Diesel Worx loves the PPE, but its just not for everyone I guess.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Banned

the line kit goes from the fuel filter to the cp3. I was misslead on the fass system with the external filters thats why i am getting the line kit. I am running 48 psi not 48 pounds of fuel only 20-21 pounds of fuel....I think right now i am going to stick with my crazy larry, but now i am running into the problem of what clutch sb 3250 or the 3600??? I talked to a guy a southbend, he said i would need ladder bars because of my lift, and that i would get alot of chatter??????
Uhhh I think we are confused? 48psi of boost or fuel pressure?(when I say pounds of something I don't mean weight, I mean pressure. Like 48lbs of boost is 48psi) maybe I have misunderstood? I was not asking the weight of the fuel in your tank...

1200 is really cool for CL, where is your pyro mounted? Pre or post turbo?

I have talked with Peter about the 3250 vrs the 3600 and he said the 3250 will hold way over its rated hp(about 750). The 3250 is also a sprung hub so you will have waay less clatter at idle than the 3600.

Ladder bars would be a good idea, if you have lift blocks in the rear also.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 PM

To Hintz, i agree somewhat. All the FREE updates that the smarty guys get is pretty nice i give them that. But if you have a great tuner with incredable power maybe you dont need 1000 diff. tunes?? Na , its still great what smarty does because it allows you to grow into your tuner that way. Later if you upsize injectors, turbo what ever it sounds like smarty has a tune for that, sounds like a great deal, allways has. If i hadnt jumped aboard the PPE wagon early i would have gone smarty. But i didnt and never will, fact is the PPE also kicks serious ***. Finally theres 2 other dodges around that run the smarty and thier both 6 speeds like mine and i can wipe the floor with them both, and i only have the standard tuner set now on 215hp now i dont know these guys well yet so i dont know that im not catching them when they may have it detuned somewhat, But i dont and have no trouble with them or any other diesel around town. Since ive had the SB con fe life is good in the power department, ya the 215 tune and the ez for a little press. is a killer setup for sure. I dont talk much of it here as its mostly a smarty crowd but dont pass on PPE because of lack of power, as of now do it because thier still not up to others on other nice features such as tire size changes and such. With the way mine runs i would love to try the Hot version "race tune" Dan told me about, 4k rpm, no limiter top end, NO torq. managment at all, and 300+,500+ but it all comes at an add. 300 bones for us and the smarty guys would get it for free. Bottom line: PPE makes great power, but if i were you and ever planned on diff. tires sizes than stock i would go Smarty because they to have a great product, id say both are top 1 and 2 and in no pert. order. My 2 cents.......
Old 02-09-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by stock600
To Hintz, i agree somewhat. All the FREE updates that the smarty guys get is pretty nice i give them that. But if you have a great tuner with incredable power maybe you dont need 1000 diff. tunes?? Na , its still great what smarty does because it allows you to grow into your tuner that way. Later if you upsize injectors, turbo what ever it sounds like smarty has a tune for that, sounds like a great deal, allways has. If i hadnt jumped aboard the PPE wagon early i would have gone smarty. But i didnt and never will, fact is the PPE also kicks serious ***. Finally theres 2 other dodges around that run the smarty and thier both 6 speeds like mine and i can wipe the floor with them both, and i only have the standard tuner set now on 215hp now i dont know these guys well yet so i dont know that im not catching them when they may have it detuned somewhat, But i dont and have no trouble with them or any other diesel around town. Since ive had the SB con fe life is good in the power department, ya the 215 tune and the ez for a little press. is a killer setup for sure. I dont talk much of it here as its mostly a smarty crowd but dont pass on PPE because of lack of power, as of now do it because thier still not up to others on other nice features such as tire size changes and such. With the way mine runs i would love to try the Hot version "race tune" Dan told me about, 4k rpm, no limiter top end, NO torq. managment at all, and 300+,500+ but it all comes at an add. 300 bones for us and the smarty guys would get it for free. Bottom line: PPE makes great power, but if i were you and ever planned on diff. tires sizes than stock i would go Smarty because they to have a great product, id say both are top 1 and 2 and in no pert. order. My 2 cents.......
yea, I here ya honestly if it was for the price of it and how you have to pay for the upgrades and they dont have really any features (i know that sounds like a lot), but I go for that over the smarty. Like i said the do wonders on DMAXs and we have pretty much the same fuel system (even more performance than the smarty for dodge even though the race tune might change that). I also wish PPE would get on the dodge boards, they really have great support (like smarty and Bob wagner here) at the dieselplace, Dans always on there helping out. But I didnt know they had the 4k rpm out already thats cool. Someone needs to get the smarty and PPE on the same truck the same day on the same dyno and/or 1/4mile and see who's king.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:17 PM

yes its after the turbo on the flange before the exhaust.. i figured the turbo was taking up alot of the heat, like i said my friends pegs on 1500
Old 02-09-2008, 06:22 PM

i am running 48 pounds of boost and 20-22 pounds of fuel pressure, and so the 3250 will do.. i just would rather get to much clutch then to little. I doubt i will ever push over 750, but then again you never know. 3250 and the 3600 are the same price. would there be any disavantages to going with the 3600 over the 3250 even if i don't need that much clutch... I.e wear and tear any worse then the 3250 on my truck that is?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:49 PM

i am running 48 pounds of boost and 20-22 pounds of fuel pressure, and so the 3250 will do.. i just would rather get to much clutch then to little. I doubt i will ever push over 750, but then again you never know. 3250 and the 3600 are the same price. would there be any disavantages to going with the 3600 over the 3250 even if i don't need that much clutch... I.e wear and tear any worse then the 3250 on my truck that is?
I think that the 3600 is going to be a little bit louder than the 3250.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

yes its after the turbo on the flange before the exhaust.. i figured the turbo was taking up alot of the heat, like i said my friends pegs on 1500
yeeeaaaah thats not good, it needs to be post turbo.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Armstrong Performance
I know Bobby at Dark Side Diesel Worx loves the PPE, but its just not for everyone I guess.
thats the same thing he told me. his truck put down 740hp also with a single pump and turbo. thats pretty impressive to me. those are nice numbers for that setup . I would like to try the hot ppe but I dont think they make one for my truck yet
Old 02-10-2008, 09:10 AM

yea i will prolly wait to get my exhaust manifold, then i'll put it on there, my friend helped me put the gauges on so it was his call.... its 1500 pretty hot as far as egt's go, and louder as in chatter? So should i go with the 3250 or 3600? they are both dual disc arent they?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3250 and 3600 are both DD.A hydraulic upgrade is needed to run the 3600.Unless your going for 750hp the 3250 will be more than enough.I am making around 525hp and my con ofe is holding just fine.Feels like a stock clutch.
1500* is pretty high but okay for very short runs.You need a turbo if your going to keep playing with Crazy Larry!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:33 AM

yea i will prolly wait to get my exhaust manifold, then i'll put it on there, my friend helped me put the gauges on so it was his call.... its 1500 pretty hot as far as egt's go, and louder as in chatter? So should i go with the 3250 or 3600? they are both dual disc arent they?
Yeah they tell you to start watchin and let out of it at 1200* and in chatter they mean that the DD clutches are loud SOB's they like scream and squill and make a ton of racket, I have a buddy with a duramax and a SB DD and his shift boot is torn and it is annyoing *** hell at idel and no accel.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 AM

yea i know, would i need to get injectors first and a upgraded cp3? before i go bigger? I am kind of working on a budget, so soon as i get the clutch i won't be doing anything for a while.... Maybe i will take my boost fooler off until i get an exhaust manifold or bigger turbo...

Quick Reply: Crazy larry or PPE??????