3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Crazy idea but would this work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Back to the drawing board....
Old 01-20-2005, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the electric fans that i have seen on ebay are boat blower fans (for clearing gas fumes from the bilge) There isn't much power there, but you may get some bump at the low end, enough to overcome the lag, but as discussed earlier, it would restrict airflow at higher RPM.
The idea is there, but it would require a pretty large blower motor and the current draw would be fairly large. Heck give it a try and report back.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Car_nut57
I have figured this out at one time, but didn't keep it handy. The diameter is 3.73", the cells are .125".
By my calculations, the TAG reduces surface area by 22.4%
Old 01-20-2005, 11:20 AM

Want more low end? Get more fuel to the engine...
Your theory would only work on an N/A gasser, and even then the amount of fabrication would only be worth about 5hp. ATI Procharger toyed with putting their centrifugal superchargers on big rigs for awhile. They called them "altitude compensators". Basically the theory was a supercharger with it's own separate air intake system would engage via a large electric clutch, at high load, high altitude situations and drive a supercharger to compensate for the lack of air to the turbo. The gains were minimal and the project was dumped.... This was designed by engineers and techs that have been designing this stuff for years, and a Procharger can produce as much and more air than the turbos on a semi...
Old 01-20-2005, 11:46 AM

Some of our old Detroits we rebuild are turbocharged and supercharged, with the turbo mounted on top of the blower, and the pressure going straight into the supercharger. So regardless, the blower was driven by the engine regardless of how much boost the turbo was making. But these go in tanks, etc., not real world rides.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:31 PM

That was because old Detroits (mostly two-strokes) didn't make any power until they were on the edge of coming apart....lol The roots blower helped them with low end torque, but couldn't flow enough at higher rpm. The turbo would feed the roots and, once spooled, supply enough air for the engine.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by JHardwick
With that being said, if you can decrease that much area and not improve or destroy overall efficiency ...................... the next step is to reduce the surface area eliminated by the TAG, No?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With that being said, if you can decrease that much area and not improve or destroy overall efficiency ...................... the next step is to reduce the surface area eliminated by the TAG, No?
It doesn't seem to me like the Tag would be a restriction, considering the air that goes into the tag has already come thru a very restrictive air filter. If there was no air filter and you were at max flow for a 4" intake tube, then the Tag would slow the air down some. I may be totally wrong, but that seems right to me???
Old 01-20-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Tmc243
It doesn't seem to me like the Tag would be a restriction, considering the air that goes into the tag has already come thru a very restrictive air filter. If there was no air filter and you were at max flow for a 4" intake tube, then the Tag would slow the air down some. I may be totally wrong, but that seems right to me???
the surface area of the air filter is probably over 6 times that of the turbo inlet
Old 01-21-2005, 05:27 AM

What about something like a throttle body spacer? and by that i mean more intake plenum volume after the "restriction" that is the turbo. Give the engine more air available on demand so to speak. Helps a little in a gasser.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:57 AM

If you take the open diameter of the TAG and the thickness of the cell walls, then calculate the total area of the edge of the cell walls and take that as a percentage of the area of the circle you will find something more on the order of 3%. This really isn't as much a factor as you might think, as the actual opening into the turbo is much smaller than the TAG and restriction is a function of air velocity through the cells. Even though the TAG does create a small amount of restriction to air flow, the gain in the turbos ability to take in air results in a net gain of air flow overall. This is demonstrated by the air flow chart on our website http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/tag
Old 01-21-2005, 12:19 PM

I'll have to apologize for going off half cocked with the 22.4% figure. I completely drew it out today and it's actually 6.1%

.004" wall thickness
.125 cell opening
3.73 outside diameter

I'll post a pic over at TDR
Old 01-21-2005, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Patrolman808
Some of our old Detroits we rebuild are turbocharged and supercharged, with the turbo mounted on top of the blower, and the pressure going straight into the supercharger.
Actually, the Detroits you refer to are 2-cycle engines. They do not have an intake or an exhaust stroke. The Roots-type device you are calling a supercharger is actually a scavenging air blower - it forces air through the intake ports at the bottom of the cylinders and out the exhaust valves during the cylinder scavenging event. This drives out the exhaust gas and leaves a fresh charge of air in the cylinder when the ports and valves close - doing the same thing (although not as efficiently) as the exhaust and intake strokes do in a 4-cycle engine. Basically, the engine won't run without the blower.

Rusty
Old 01-22-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 PM

Any fan that is placed before the turbo is going to have to move alot of CFM. If the fan can not move more CFM then a high flow intake can bring in it will slow your air flow down. I am not sure what the flow rate of the stock filter is (300 CFM maybe) and a high flow system is around 5 times that (1200 CFM). Good luck finding a fan that can move that amount of air for the next 300,000 miles. Just my $.02 but I would not recomend this at all. If any thing get a more ram air style induction set up.