3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Crazy custom Walbro setup question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy custom Walbro setup question?

I am debating going with a Glacier system or doing my own custom Walbro setup. I have one question to everyone. Has any thought about using one of the useless EVAP fittings on top of the tank that most of us have run a hose and filter to so that dirt doesn't get into the tank as the return fitting for the walbro pressure relief return? I don't mind cutting into the filler tube if need be but am considering trying to use one of the fittings for the fuel return. Anyone have any suggestions as to why it shouldn't be used that I have not considered?

Thanks in advance for all input...
Old 07-31-2007, 09:51 PM

That my friend is exactly what I did on my '05 and haven't had any problems with it... It was not well thought out on my part because the 15 yr old I have helping up at the shop did it "his way"... and NO PROBLEMS YET!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

The reason I did not do it is because of fuel aeration. If you were below a full tank, the stream of fuel dropping down would make a lot of bubbles. It may not affect it on the filter set up you run, but better safe than sorry.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Ther eis nothing wrong with the "air" bubbles...the resevoir of fuel is plenty large for the air to disapate before it is picked up by the main feed at the bottom...

The hole in the fitting is too small in my opinion for the return flow...there is ALOT of fuel returning at idle...and I would not want to pressurize it by chocking it down at that fitting.

Just splice into the filler tube...it has been thought out allready.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by CRXsi
I am debating going with a Glacier system or doing my own custom Walbro setup. I have one question to everyone. Has any thought about using one of the useless EVAP fittings on top of the tank that most of us have run a hose and filter to so that dirt doesn't get into the tank as the return fitting for the walbro pressure relief return? I don't mind cutting into the filler tube if need be but am considering trying to use one of the fittings for the fuel return. Anyone have any suggestions as to why it shouldn't be used that I have not considered?

Thanks in advance for all input...
See the link in my sig. Total cost was $360ish (also included gauge and selector switch) vs $500 @ Glacier.
In regards to the in-tank pick up tube, I drilled mine into the top of the tank positioned between the cab and the bed. You can see the bulkhead fitting if you look closely between the two. Dropping the tank was the hardest part of this job. Get a helper.
Do a "chemical resistance" check on materials, and you'll see what you can/can't use (re: plumbing and gaskets).
Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 PM

Most of us have the tank vent mod with a good size hose plugged off from the stock vent hose. Why not adapt that down to a 3/8" and use it? That is what I plan to do because I allready have a filler neck adapter for my auxilary fuel tank feed and return.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by svanni
See the link in my sig. Total cost was $360ish (also included gauge and selector switch) vs $500 @ Glacier.
In regards to the in-tank pick up tube, I drilled mine into the top of the tank positioned between the cab and the bed. You can see the bulkhead fitting if you look closely between the two. Dropping the tank was the hardest part of this job. Get a helper.
Do a "chemical resistance" check on materials, and you'll see what you can/can't use (re: plumbing and gaskets).
The only problem with my setup for is that I have the engine mounted lift pump. I need to still get the adapter plate from either Glacier or from another source. Any suggestions on where one may find said adapter plate other than GDP?

Originally Posted by cquestad
The hole in the fitting is too small in my opinion for the return flow...there is ALOT of fuel returning at idle...and I would not want to pressurize it by chocking it down at that fitting.
This is my concern as well....just wondering if anyone has tried it an knows for sure if it will cause a restriction to bump up pressure. What size hose does the GDP setup run for the return?

Originally Posted by dmscumnz
That my friend is exactly what I did on my '05 and haven't had any problems with it... It was not well thought out on my part because the 15 yr old I have helping up at the shop did it "his way"... and NO PROBLEMS YET!
So even though it was a bit of a screw up would you do it this way again or use the preferred fuel filler adapter?

Originally Posted by ataboy9026
Most of us have the tank vent mod with a good size hose plugged off from the stock vent hose. Why not adapt that down to a 3/8" and use it? That is what I plan to do because I already have a filler neck adapter for my auxilary fuel tank feed and return.
Sorry don't have the tank vent mod done...if I ever need to pull my tank I'll do it then but no need yet...good idea however.