3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Crack on Silver 62 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crack on Silver 62 turbo

I have never been able to make the boost I thought I should from my Industrial Injection Silver 62 turbo. So I finally after 2 years decided to remove it and check it out. I noticed when I first removed it that I could see a lot of soot coming from the wastegate access cover. I removed it and found a crack under the wastegate (flap?). Is this something to be worried about or something that just happens to a turbo after time? Thanks, Tom J.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 AM

Bump..................
Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 PM

Send it back...

Get it warrentied...should not happen.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM

It is the second turbo that has done this to me. My first turbo was a SPS 62 and it cracked so bad after three months that I had to buy a new turbo (silver 62). I don't know why this is happening because I don't sled pull or drag race and my egt's never get very high. As far as the warranty the turbo is 2 yrs old and is out of warranty, but at least it has lasted longer than the first one. Industrial Injection said they would try and keep the cost down to have it repaired. I am thinking of having it upgraded to the 64mm compressor, what do you guys think? I already do not like the lag of the 62 but maybe it isn't working right and will be fixed by II. Thanks, Tom J.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BigJohnston
It is the second turbo that has done this to me. My first turbo was a SPS 62 and it cracked so bad after three months that I had to buy a new turbo (silver 62). I don't know why this is happening because I don't sled pull or drag race and my egt's never get very high. As far as the warranty the turbo is 2 yrs old and is out of warranty, but at least it has lasted longer than the first one. Industrial Injection said they would try and keep the cost down to have it repaired. I am thinking of having it upgraded to the 64mm compressor, what do you guys think? I already do not like the lag of the 62 but maybe it isn't working right and will be fixed by II. Thanks, Tom J.
I kind of went through the same scenerio as you. My SPS62 went south after 1k miles.... Brady upgraded me to a Silver62, pretty much free gratas. I threw alot of fuel at that Silver and never got rid of, or used to the lag, (it was fun when it finally lit).

I am thinking, if you don't like the lag now, you sure as heck will not like the 64/74/14. It's the 74 turbine thats creating the lag, but once the housing has been modified too fit the 74, you need a new housing to return to the 71 turbine.

Maybe a 64/71/13, 64/71/14 or a Super B Special, I would think II will work with you on this, and that would most likely be the least expensive.

I remember going through what you are going through now, I wanted a quick spoolup for towing, and also enough air to keep egt's in check. The Silver62 did neither well, the SPS62 was better all around, but was still limited as far as egt's. At that time most people were having surging issues while towing with the 64/66 compressor wheels, so I couldn't go there, seems some of that has been addressed, but not sure.

Good Luck, which ever route you choose.

Jess
Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 AM

Great info Jess. Thanks for taking the time to post. Thanks, Tom J.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:22 PM

my sps did the same thing i also would like to know why it does it i just got it back and know it is a silver 62 and im just afraid to put it on
Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 PM

I noticed that you have an X2 in your sig. It got me thinking and I blew up my stock turbo the day I put the original Quad race on and I have used it on both later turbos that have cracked. I also used it exclusively on my second turbo a SPS 62/14 that literally desintigrated in 3 months from major cracks. My Silver 62 has been on for almost 2 years and has only one crack but I have used the Smarty with the X2 stacked to add occasional rail pressure. This is probably just a coincidence but I don't think I will be using the Quad on my new turbo until I am sure.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 PM

hi big

how boost and egt you have with you silver?

i run with 45 psi boost an under 1350 egt...(around 1000-1200)

if the high boost or egt crack you silver?

best regards
chris
Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM

I have never seen more than 42psi of boost and I don't know how high my egt's can get because I have to let off the pedal because things get hot fast. I probably could not do a quarter mile race because my truck would melt before the end. I would have to run the Smarty TNT on level 1 and the Quad X2 on level 1 to make it to the end of the Quarter without melting my pistons, and even with that setup I am probably looking at 1600 egt at the end. The Silver just doesn't keep my truck cool.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 AM

the 62 is to small a turbo for you a 64 would be better to help the egts but if you tow then you lose on that end to your best bet is to call II talk to them and try to get cody on the line when you do he will take care of you
Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM

how about a pic of this crack
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Sorry I have already sent turbo to II. It is on the right wastegate port straight down about a half inch and II called today and said they found a crack on the flange that is pretty significant. I don't know why this is happening to my truck. I hear alot of people that post on the forums that sled pull and drag race, how does their truck stay together and mine that is a daily driver that I only hit the go pedal every once in a while for fun is cracking turbos? Anyway thanks for the replies, Tom J.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:45 PM

dude you have my luck bottom line is no matter what if there is a way it will break i feel your pain
Old 06-04-2009, 07:02 PM

That is the absolute truth.........
You sure we are not brothers, I swear if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. I buy the absolute best and the most resilient stuff I can find and I am that one in a million person that it fails on every time. Thanks for your post 82NDSNPR it cheered me up. Tom J

Quick Reply: Crack on Silver 62 turbo