3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Couple questions on 100 hp chips/tuners on a stock 05.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple questions on 100 hp chips/tuners on a stock 05.

i was going to get the 65 hp quad xzt, but might up it too 100hp. First question, is it safe to run 100 extra hp on my basically stock 05. All i have done is added a brute force intake and took the muffler off and ran a strait pipe in its place. (no transmission improvements, auto trans) All I am looking for is more giddy up for when I pass people (and a few more mpg). I will never tow anything, this is strictly a daily driver vehicle.

Next question is, on the quad, they say it has a pot to adjust the power.... on the bully dog, does it do it the same way?

Finally, if it is safe to run 100 more hp, what should I get?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some may disagree with me, but I will give you my opinion and experiences.

I have ran the following boxes on a setup just like you have before I went to the next mod level.

Dr Performance Stage II, don't do it.

Edge Juice/Attitude, probably my best at that level.

Quad Race Box, worked fine and is close behind the Juice/Attitude. If you add the new Quad Commander with it then probably an equal choice.

My experience is that 100hp upgrade is manageable with air intake and exhaust. Unless you get stupid with power launches or other such insanity you will not have any problems. Gauges are really necessary to understand what is going on so you dont exceed reasonable EGT or boost. Need to be conservative if towing heavy, but not really a problem daily driving.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:06 AM

I have Quads Standard box, and my only other mod is an MBRP muffler. I run it on the 60 h.p. setting all day every day, and boost it up to 100 h.p. for the occasional romp. When towing I turn it off all completely, at least until my Commander arrives (hopefully that'll be soon; after two weeks on order I'm dying to get it) so I can monitor engine parameters.

To change power levels without the Commander, there is a 4 position switch (stock, 30 h.p., 60 h.p., and 100 h.p.) that can be adjusted on the fly. I mounted mine in the factory blank where the adjustable pedal switch would be. It turned out super clean and can be put back to stock with a new blank. I'll try to get a picture of it posted tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:26 AM

Thumbs up

I run the Bully Dog TP on my '06 and I have it set on "tow/economy" 80% of the time. I think this is a 60hp or so setting. It runs well, gets slightly better fuel mileage than stock, and under normal acceleration doesnt smoke much.
I did run it on "Performance" for 1/2 tank on my last tank of fuel, and it showed worse mileage everywhere. Light throttle, highway, it didnt matter. It would only show 15.5mpg on the overhead out on the highway. So, I changed it back to "tow" and the mpg shot back up to 18.5-19 highway.
I have yet to explore the "extreme" setting, but it should be fun for short blasts.