3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

couple more questions for the 03 guys.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't throw any overboost codes?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
I just bought a "boost elbow" from the local diesel shop here, basically my stock elbow was a 90* peice with the center bored wide open. This new elbow is 90* also but the center hole in much much smaller, smaller hole means more boost correct? Right now if I run my BDTD on Extreme I can't see past 22-24psi. Will this elbow realy make a difference? Now correct me if im wrong but more boost means more power right? Hypotheticaly(sp) if I now see 30-32psi will I gain any HP from that?

I just hope I don't see a CEL for overboost, a while back I was running Extreme and went to pass a car and I don't exactly recall what boost I hit but a overboost code was thrown. Hopefully i'll find out tommorow, i'm waiting for a new rubber coupler from AFE I was dumb and ripped mine when pulling it off the turbo flange.

Will running a elbow like this kill the longjevity of the turbo?
You shouldn't throw a CEL for overboost after putting that on. I've had the banks wastegate for 2 years with good results. Just had to crank the screw almost all the way up to get where i want to be. I only see 37 psi when I'm hard on it. But no codes at all, and no boost fooler either. Its normal average peak is 34-35psi.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 PM

Well my new rubber coupler just came in from AFE. I ripped the coupler that connects the tq tube to the inlet of the turbo. So im going to go assemble everything again and test this little boost elbow contraption out.

I'll be back in a while with my results.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Well I got some good news and some bad news.

I got the boost elbow in and the install was cake work, I can now see 30-32psi of boost. Before I could NOT get past 24psi, wether I stacked boxes, reved it up in Neutral raced in reverse nothing. So that's a good thing.

Now on to the bad thing. I got everything all buttoned up and took it for a drive down the service road about a mile. I hit 30psi no problems. I stoped poped the hood and check to make sure everything was tight, that was fine. So I went to fuel up and on my way back to the house I romped on it and see 30-32psi, well this time a light came on on the dash. Now a long time ago when I threw a overboost code a light came on again but I don't recall it being this same light. So I looked in the manuel and it says it's the "MIL"(Malfunction Indicator Light), it's right next to the voltage gauge and it looks like a water spicket almost.

So I plug in the BDTD to read the DTC's and it says P203***(forgot the actual numbers) but it stated it was an overboost code. So I cleared it, and shut down the truck, waited a minute and fired it back up. The light is still on. Does it take several shutdowns and restarts to clear it's self actually or what? So, how would I go about getting this stubborn light to disappear and stay gone?

Is it ok to drive the truck with this light on? Im headed out to a dyno event tommorow and I hope this won't affect anything.

TIA for any help.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 PM

Can you clear the code and try again maybe? Does the BDTD have boost fooling? You may need a boost fooler to get rid of that light.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 PM

What do you mean clear the code and try again? Like plug in the BDTD and run the DTC option again? You know it's weird, the BDTD says it clears codes, it will pull them up and show them then you hit clear and they are still there?

Im not sure what you mean by boost fooling with the BD, I don't think it offers that and if it does then i've never seen it any where on the options.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 PM

So you clear the codes when you plug it in, but they stay lit? They should clear when you do that. Alot of programmers have boost fooling. Boost fooling is finding a way to fool the computer into thinking it is running a safe amount of boost at all times, so you can add more boost without tripping the MIL light or CEL light. X-zilla makes a plug-in boost fooler that should fix your problem.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:47 PM

Yea, the MIL light still stayed on after I cleared it through the BDTD programmer. When I get some extra money im realy thinking about selling the BDTD and getting a Smarty.

So if I order the Quad Boost Fooler im guarenteed not to see any more boost codes thrown? Will the boost fooler still add more boost ontop of the elbow I already put on?

One more question, do you think it's ok to drive around for the week and do a couple of dyno pulls when the light still lite up? Once again, thanks for all your help Rip. I appreciate it buddy.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:12 PM

With the boost fooler you will not gain anymore HP or PSI. All the fooler does is tell the computer that you are still running in the 22-24 psi range, so it won't throw any overboost codes. As far as driving with the MIL light on can't see a problem with that but I am not 100% sure on that one.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
Yea, the MIL light still stayed on after I cleared it through the BDTD programmer. When I get some extra money im realy thinking about selling the BDTD and getting a Smarty.

So if I order the Quad Boost Fooler im guarenteed not to see any more boost codes thrown? Will the boost fooler still add more boost ontop of the elbow I already put on?

One more question, do you think it's ok to drive around for the week and do a couple of dyno pulls when the light still lite up? Once again, thanks for all your help Rip. I appreciate it buddy.
1- I don't why it wouldn't have cleared. Try uninstalling the BDTD and if it turns off, then it was the BD causing the code. You can also try uninstalling and disconnecting the batteries for a few minutes and then running the BD again.

2-The Quad boost fooler is made specifically for eliminating codes associated with boost (overboost codes) and allowing the motor to run in its fullest without going into "limp mode". And yes, it may allow slightly more boost, but nothing more than the bdtd puts out or what the wastegate is set at.

3-IMO, it would be okay to drive it LIGHTLY(that's hard for some ppl, lol) until you can find out what's causing the code, but I wouldn't run it hard, because that may cause it to go into limp mode. I'd say get a boostfooler asap if it stays on. And I love my smarty. Most ppl do. Hope this helps, and I hope you resolve this issue.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the fast replies. I tried to call Larry today but it was already 3:10 here so im guessing it was past 5:00 in WV and they were closed.

Im pretty sure that it is just the overboost code. Thinking back on it now, when I threw this code a while ago it took like 4-5 times of the truck being shut off then restarted to clear. I'll try the battery trick also if that dosen't work.

Either way im going to dyno tommorow, I realy need(want) to see what im laying down. I will be ordering the boost fooler on Monday. Where does the fooler plug into?

Well im headed down to wash my truck.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:38 PM

I don't have a picture, but when you pop the hood, its on the right side behind the intake elbow near the hp sticker on the valve cover. Quad will provide a short description and a picture, and I believe there is only one plug that it will fit on to. When you have it plugged in and the ignition on it should shine green on the indicator light.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:28 PM

I see, it plugs into the MAP sensor then. I also have a Dr.Performance box that plugs into there, I wonder how this is going to work?

Question for you Rip. I went down to my truck to pull it out of the shed to wash it. Well I turned the key to the on position. I tried the trick where you hold down the odometer button to see how many hours you have(I never remembered how to do it) well I was messing with the button then I went to fire up the truck and every single light on my dash lite up, the RPM gauge and the spedo nose dived all the way to the right. I shuft off the truck and fired it up again, nothing happened that time. That realy weirded me out.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Banned

my turbo dont like me.....
i pulled and blocked the hoze.....
smarty alone 45 psi , ad the meth and i hit 50...
yha i know its all hot air at that point.....
.... and rotor speeds is thru the roof...

if it blows i have no choice but to upgrade.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:10 AM
KVD

Somebody has said this before on here talkin bout straight piped exhaust but my truck sits a overboost code with just a full straight piped exhaust and K&N cold air setup, P0234.

I cycle me key back and there it is.

The thread I was talkin about was somebody said they dynoed less with a free flowin exhaust (if I remember it may have been quad but don't hold me to that) and they put on a boost fooler on it and made back the HP because it was defuelin because of the overboost code.

Quick Reply: couple more questions for the 03 guys.