3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Could I get some feedback on my oil analysis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will, that iron is really high. First, do you have any other lab tests from previous oil changes? It can help define a trend. Also, I have read a few not so good reports about RP in our trucks. Maybe that was the problem... I hope so. Everything else looks good. Copper and lead are a little high also but nothing catastrophic. I'll report back with my test results later this week. I ran about 7000 miles on Schaeffers 9000 5w40 synthetic plus some Torco MPZ. I know my soot is gonna be sky high as well because it was pretty high last time. That was when I first installed my turbo. I didn't want to run my oil this long but haven't had the time to change it.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The high Iron and copper are perhaps result of your power request. When I haul a really heavy load the iron goes up. With chips, ect you are loading the cyl walls heavier and the bearings. Soot would also be indicator of overfueling or idling cold perhaps. Moly on the other hand is high but probablly just a additive in the oil and nothing to worry about.
Hate it that Blackstone doesn't give TBN, unless you pay more. I use Analysis Plus at 1-866-652-2663 for mine. Bought a dozen kits and got great price or get at ConocoPhillips distributor.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 PM
wap

So what is the high iron saying? Is it the coming from the cylinder walls? I had CAT do a test for me but it wasnt as in depth as the blackstone but I will see if I can find it.

Thanks for all the help, and thanks haloman for posting up the email for me.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
wap

Here is what I posted up from the last sample from CAT, I can pull the whole thread if you like. Looks like iron has gone up. Is there an action I should take, if so what?

This is a sample of Delo 400 at about 7k.

The """ is where the quote from my last sample starts and stops.

"""It says "not action required"

"Elevated Soot level affected by; A/F ratio, Poor air induction, Hi loads, blowby, Low Eng. temp, Othere analysis readings appear to be acceptable.

Wear Metals (ppm)
Al-3 Ca-2622 Cr-3 Cu-5 Fe-61 Pb-4 Mg-79 Mo-141 Ni-1 P-1044 K-32

Si-6 Na-0 Sn-1 V-0 Zn-1228

Oil Condition/Particle count (ct/ml)
St (soot)-133 OXI(oxidation)-15 NIT(nitration)-10 SUL(sulfation)-27

W(water I guess)-N A(antifreeze)-N F(fuel)-N V100(viscosity at 100*C)-16.2

What does the viscosity tell me?"""
Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by wap
What does the viscosity tell me?"""
I would think you would have to have a sample of the oil when it is unused or a test sample using the same testing methods to give you a baseline of what to compare the numbers to right?

Does RP offer any #'s on there web sites?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Chapter President

No problem WAP. You can upload PDFs as attachments but I didnt think you would want your name and address on the nets so I put in that picture for you. Hope you get it all figured out.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:47 PM

The rise in visc is due to the soot. The iron although high is not critical by any means. That said your iron is low. Still seems high given the fact that the add pkg still looks healthy. You also saw a rise from the previous sample. Shorten the next drain and samole again. Do you idle alot? trik396 insights seem to be on the mark.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A Bypass would really help those soot numbers.... I would say a bypass is a necessity on a 3rd gen with a chip... .
Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To those who say soot is 1/100 of a micron. I used to run really cheap oil filters till I was told to avoid them..... FRAM crap. Anyway, I have since switched to the mopar ones. Anyway, this last change, I could not find a mopar one at my usual filter store, so I bought a mobile 401 or whatever it's called. Some claim that the holes are too small etc and could cause starvation. While it is true that the fleet guards have bigger holes on top, this mobile 1 has been the finest filtering filter that I have ran. Even with the mopar filters, my highly overfueled truck would be sooted up midnight black in 500 miles. With this filter, I am pushing 2000 miles now and the oil is still brown and clear enough to see the dipstick beneath the film of oil.

Some soot may be tiny, but alot of it is big enough to get trapped in this mobile filter.

Guys, this is not a kinda difference, my oil is amazingly cleaner.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
wap

Yeah, I appreciate you editing that email for me haloman, my name and addy are no big deal but I would rather not boadcast it.

salesrep, could you clarify how my iron is low?? I think I know what your are saying... That my iron is not THAT high?? but I want to make sure.

Tristan, I havent looked into RPs #s but I doubt I will run their oil again. I think it is good oil but I dont think it is made with longevity in mind, but that is JMO.

I may start a thread on this but I guess I may have to start lookin into a bypass filter. Any body got any recomendations???

And FWIW, I run fleetguard stratapore fuel and oil filters.

I will have to say I am happy with my fuel number, a cracked injector is always on my mind but I guess so far so good, no anifreeze either wich is another good thing.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 AM

Big_Blue... yes a filter does amazing things.... Mobil 1 are supposed to be excellent filters., superseded by only a few amsoil/donaldson for sure. The CR, especially the 325 motors, are more soot producing than older motors, my oil was black black in 5 minutes of idleing (I expect that to only be the case on this change as I now have a bypass)... but with 14qts of new oil, and 2 new filters it was black black VERY fast...

As far as bypass filters go I would recommend the Amsoil BMK-11 setup with either the EaBP 100 or EaBP 110... I have some photos of my install on my 05 if your interested.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 AM

1st alarm is over 100 ppm. severe 250 ppm. 400 ppm open up engine.
How did you take the sample? warm? middle of drain? It is on the high side, just not panic level.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ah64id
Big_Blue... yes a filter does amazing things.... Mobil 1 are supposed to be excellent filters., superseded by only a few amsoil/donaldson for sure. The CR, especially the 325 motors, are more soot producing than older motors, my oil was black black in 5 minutes of idleing (I expect that to only be the case on this change as I now have a bypass)... but with 14qts of new oil, and 2 new filters it was black black VERY fast...

As far as bypass filters go I would recommend the Amsoil BMK-11 setup with either the EaBP 100 or EaBP 110... I have some photos of my install on my 05 if your interested.
I have the Amsoil BMK with the 100 filter. My oil is still black as coal the moment I pour it in my engine.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by trik396
I have the Amsoil BMK with the 100 filter. My oil is still black as coal the moment I pour it in my engine.
Yep... a function of the non-EGR valve EGR..... such is life... but the bypass keeps the large conglomerated soot out.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM

I asked not long ago for the thread that had how to make your own setup but never got answer, anybody?

Quick Reply: Could I get some feedback on my oil analysis?