3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Could I get some feedback on my oil analysis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:50 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could I get some feedback on my oil analysis?

I sent a sample to blackstone and just got it back today. The oil was royal purple (now runnin amsoil) 15/40 with about 7.5-8k. Truck had about 45k on it at time of analysis. I copied and pasted the results below. I want to know if this is pretty normal for a motor with aftermarket turbo and programming or if I should be concerned. I only run Smarty SW 5 99% of the time and really drive like a grandpa most of the time but I do frequently make some WOT runs. Thanks for any info or comments.

"We don't quantify soot levels here, but the lab does make a note of it when a sample is exceptionally
sooty. Yours was exceptionally sooty--so much so that we were not able to get an insolubles reading. We
also found high iron, copper, and lead, which typically show bearing wear (though iron can be from any
steel part). The viscosity was high, and combined with the soot this suggests a combustion problem. We
suggest shorter oil changes--drop back to 5000 miles at most for the next sample. If that doesn't help
things, then next time we'll suggest trying a different oil."
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds ok. I would drop down to 5k on the oil changes.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:14 AM

The high iron part worries me... can you post the exact numbers... I've had 4 done at Blackstone with my 5th sample sent out yesterday. I'm getting pretty good at reading them.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 PM
wap

I will try and get the numbers up, I tried copying and pasting but it messes the order all up after I paste it. I think I will start changing at 5k.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Ever consider the fs2500? After reading what they sent you it makes me wonder if it is more important than I gave it credit for.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM

With you trying to spool that sps66 all the time and the great lowend fueling of the smarty, I would either lower your oci or invest in a bypass filter. But if you can please post your report, via pdf file. I am curious to see the add pkg of royal purple and how much it thickened. With you running high quality and priced oils, I would be adding a bypass filter asap. Draining those oils at such low oci's is a waste for you.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Here's the thing I've found with trucks laying down more power with larger turbos. As stated, we are overfueling at low end trying to get the turbo spooled. So on a stock turbo we may be at 5lbs of boost at 60mph and egt's may be 600. With a larger turbo we are at 4lbs at 60mph and say 700 degrees. This extra fuel is creating more soot. A whole lot more on a continuous basis. This soot goes out the tailpipe and into the crankcase. Now comes the bypass filter which is a fine addition to any engine. However, the best bypass filters may get as low as 1 micron, maybe sub-micronic, yet soot is around 1/100th of a micron and we have no filter available that can contain this small particle. So it remains in our oil. This is where a good oil does it's part. Keeping this soot in suspension and not allowing it to clump. Still with our massive overfueling, we need to change that oil more regularly. I don't care about 6000 or 10,000 mile oil change intervals. I care about changing my oil to keep my engine healthy. And if my soot laden power hungry fueling means I have to change it at 4000 or 5000 miles, then that's what I'll do. It's the price we pay and I don't think many guys here think in this manner. Soot is not being filtered out of our oil, I don't care what the hot babe in the FS ads tell us...
Old 02-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Now Thats What Im Talking About!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by wap
I will try and get the numbers up, I tried copying and pasting but it messes the order all up after I paste it. I think I will start changing at 5k.
If you want to send me an email with the results I can get them posted for you.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 PM
wap

holoman, if you can, send me you email and I will forward the email from blackstone to you.

Thanks for all the input and Tony I agree with you 100% on the last post.

I may look into a bypass kit, but I will wait and see what my next report is with amsoil. I have never really considered one cause I only change my oil about twice a year as it is.

The reason I run the pricey oil is cause of the higher flash point of synthetic and like state to hopefully protect my motor a lil better.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Chapter President

P.M. coming your way.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Was the UOA from the Royal Purple or Amsoil? I've read about one guy who went to Amsoil and his Iron count went up on the first UOA but it went down on the next one. He thought it may have cleaned out what his old oil left behind.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 PM
wap

I ran Delo 400 from day one, then at about 36k + or - a couple of thousand, I switched to RP, then when I pulled the RP out I sent a sample of the RP to blackstone, and replaced it with amsoil. I do not have enough miles on the amsoil to run a sample on it yet but I will most likely dump it at 5k and send a sample then.

I emailed haloman the report from blackstone so maybe we can pick through this a lil better.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Chapter President

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails Could I get some feedback on my oil analysis?-waps-oil-report.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 03:55 PM

The oil thickened to a mid 50wt. Other than the iron everything else really wasn't that bad. Low silicon, k will drop over time, and 0% fuel. I am betting that a bp filter will help with keep the oil in grade, not eliminate your soot problem but help it. The add pk looks pretty stout too. I agree with trik396, and run another sample at 5k on the amsoil to see where you are at.

Quick Reply: Could I get some feedback on my oil analysis?