3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Corsa Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corsa Exhaust

I've never seen a review on here on the Corsa exhaust and during a search haven't saw anyone here that actually had one on their truck.

I'd been in search of a good exhaust for my truck, especially one that wouldn't drone and wouldn't get me in trouble with the law for being too loud. I'd researched and contemplated for a very long time on what exhaust would best suit me. I know that drone sometimes seems to be hit and miss with some systems. One person will have drone and another won't. I wanted to make sure it was done right and not have to deal with trying to fix the drone. Because of this I settled on Corsa due to their drone free claim.

I finally got around to ordering the Corsa exhaust from Thoroughbred Diesel a couple weeks ago. The transaction went great with no problems and I got the box about 3 or 4 business days later, no problems.

I found that the Corsa exhaust was very well built, the pipes are very well made and come complete with all associated hangers, clamps, hardware and instructions.

The muffler is decently heavy, probably 20lbs or so. It is completely straight through with slits about an inch wide cut in the internal 4" pipe. The slits are located about 3 or 4 inches away from the ends of the muffler. There are no other perforations and absolutely no obstructions in the muffler. This sort of worried me because I thought it may be too loud. Where I live there are a couple troopers that are really bad on loud exhaust so I was concerned.

My brother did the installation for me and he was more excited about it than I was. He used a cutting wheel to cut a couple slits at the stock exhaust connections and then used an air chisel to separate it so the stock exhaust can be reused. He had the whole thing off in 20 or so minutes.

The Corsa exhaust went in just fine. Everything lined up the way it should and according to instructions. The torca clamps Corsa uses clamp the pipe down without crimping the pipe the way the stock exhaust was done.

The sound with the Corsa is great. There is a good growl at idle and when you rev the engine, it wakes up and sounds excellent. Driving is great too. There is absolutely no drone whatsoever. At part throttle, the in cab noise may be a little higher. You would have to ride in a stock truck then ride in a Corsa truck to notice the slight change. At full throttle you know you have an exhaust but it is not unpleasant or loud (in cab) at all. I'm interested to see what it will sound like loaded, I expect it to be very close to stock and tolerable.

I really don't know what it sounds like outside of the truck aside from the idle and reving my brother and I did. Those sounded great. The sound we heard when driving next to other cars, buildings, etc. was excellent. All was without drone and shouldn't attract any attention at all from the law.

EGT's are down slightly as well. Probably about 50~100 degrees. I did notice EGT's would get below 300 quicker for shutdown purposes. With my boost fooler on, before I would get right at 40 lbs boost at WOT giving it all it had. Now it'll hit right at 42 lbs.

One thing that really surprised me was things seemed a little more freed up. There is a hill I could go down before in 5th and my truck would always hold speed at 55 on its own, without me giving brakes at all. I did this all the time, very consistent. Now going down the same hill the truck will speed up, way cool!

Things I like about the exhaust.

It sounds great in and out of the cab.
In cab noise is increased very little.
Easy installation and great instructions.
The outlet location and configuration is exactly like stock. This was a major plus for me. I really like the location of the stock outlet. I'd looked at Hushpower but the outlet was basically parallel with the rear bumper.

Things I didn't like.

Price. The Corsa exhaust is expensive. Thoroughbred Diesel has the best price I can find, about $300 less than most.

The exhaust tip. I really didn't like the tip that Corsa uses at all. Its oval shaped and sits flush with the lower edge of the bed. This was a simple fix. I used my old MBRP 5" tip that I had on my stock exhaust.

In short, if you want a good sounding exhaust, with no drone and a stock outlet location Corsa has what you need. They should come from the factory this way!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear that you like it. I was in the same boat as you no one seemed to have any feedback on this exhaust system. Thanks for making the first plunge and giving your reviews. I'm just like you with the way the pipe exits. On my last truck It drove me nuts the way that it looked. I want to get an exhaust system but I love how quiet it is compared to my 2001.
Jon
Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 AM

Thanx. I have wondered the same on Corsa (diesel) exhaust. I have a Corsa system on the Vette, now the Ram will get its own too! Thanks for the info and the review. You will enjoy the quality.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 AM

I don't mean to hijack your thread but speaking about Corsa if you look at their web site you will notice an item called a Corsa cloth. I bought one(actually several) and have never used anything on my windows that does as good a job without using some kind of window cleaner---and NO streaks. Fast and simple. It can also be used in your house. I would highly recommend them and I think there only about 4 or five bucks. You'll be pleasantly suprised.
Jay
Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres a link to my video of the stock exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW-rzAnCVkw

Heres the link to the Corsa exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4hNLopd7X0