3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Cooper Discoverer STT e-rated 17"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper Discoverer STT e-rated 17"

Found some in 35x12.5x17E for the beast. I learned they make them in an e-rating so I pulled the trigger today.

I got 47k with great wear and disrespectful driving in all weather w/very heavy loads at times on Toyo Open Country AT 285/75/17E and would recommend them highly.

I was waiting for the new Open Country AT II's in 35x17E" but there is a huge national backorder and everyone has Toyo's anyway. I wanted a bit chewier tire this time and I like the old-school white letters.

Plus its true, 35's fill the wheel wells perfect w/zero rubbing lock to lock on stock height suspension & alloys. Truck certainly looks better. I'll take pictures when it stops raining (ugh) next Summer... life in the Great Northwest
Attached Thumbnails Cooper Discoverer STT e-rated 17"-discvr_stt_tread.jpeg  
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Yep, those look pretty nasty!
I'm pretty attached to the Nitto Trail Grapps myself...

Good for you, it's always a good feeling when you get some new rubber on the road!
* I had a guy pull into a parking spot close to me the other day with some new Toyo's that made me realize how low my tread has worn down.
Wife just shakes her head when I hint at the reality of needing to pull the trigger on a new set SOON!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Cooper Update

First I've had this truck since new and stay on top of all maint. I've also got over 1.5 million safe miles in big trucks in the NW and Canada, I'm pretty familiar with tires and suspension I have 8 axles with lots of them. Its too bad because I wanted to like them.

Ok they are gone. I was wondering about them after about 50 miles or so. Max psi is 65. Running around empty on the freeway and surface streets they felt way too soft @55psi so I filled them to max for the last 250 miles or so. Simply put they are too soft laterally. Empty, the truck was really loose. I'll never pull anything with these tires. I know I was going to an MT and there would be some loss of control compared to the Toyo AT's that came off but wow. I've run e rated MT's on heavy trucks before and never felt this. One thing though. They never rubbed with stock wheels and suspension.

So they are gone and General Grabbers w/the dorky red letters are going on next. Funny thing is I was really waiting for the new Open Country AT2 in 35x17 but ran out of rubber and couldn't wait out the backorders. Maybe if the Generals don't work the *^&% AT2's will be out soon. I hate buying tires for these fat a$$ trucks, but they look so good when you do.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 PM

General Update

The General Grabbers w/the red letters would not balance. They returned two for warranty before I gave up and swapped them for 305 70 17E Terra Grapplers. Too bad not one 35" tire I tried worked
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The Toyo MT's are pretty squishy feeling for about 700 miles,then they are great aside from the loss of mpg and the noise which is low for a mud tire.

A 9" rim is recommended for a 35" tire.
My nephew lives in Payallup.