3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Cooldown Timer

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooldown Timer

Being new to having a diesel, I dont like to pester with questions but thats how we learn.
Im curious as to what cooldown timer you guys are using and how much of a PIA. it was to install.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Banned

TST is celebrating their 10th Anniversary and I think the e-mail newsletter mentioned that they will have a cool down timer function built into the PMCR available on December 1st. If you have a boss to answer to that would be a great way to get a cool down timer and a serious kick in the pants, but not have to sleep on the couch for doing so.

You just say, "(insert; honey, sweetie, etc....), If the turbo doesn't cool down properly it could ultimately lead to engine failure so by buying the, cover up word = timer I will be preventing that from happening."

I would also suspect that the install will be only slightly more than just a standalone timer install, but that is not including gauges. And, unless TST has straightened out their digital gauges on the remote you will want some analog gauges for your pillar or steering console.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:56 AM

I've got one built into my rmote start, just press the button and you can cool down for 1, 3, or 5 minutes, plus i can warm it up from inside my house! Alot of the newer DEI systems come with the option, doesn't cost any more either.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new TST PowerMaxCR R49 with Turbo Cool Down Timer had been available for 6 weeks or more now. I have one installed and it works fine. You can adjust EGT temp at 10* levels or Time at 10 second levels. The only difference in install on the TST PMCR with cool down timer is one additional fuse tap I think.

I use the Cool Down Timer a lot, more than I thought I would.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
whats the cost for the box as opposed to the timer alone?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MSRP for the TST R49 is $899, $50 more than without the Cool Down Timer and Boost control option. I think the Cool Down Timer sold on this site is around $100.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unless you are racing or towing heavy is a cool down timer really necessary?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:32 PM

Guys, It depends who you listen to. If you read your owners manual or listen to the Cummins advice, or listen to Mark Chapple you'd run your truck for a couple of minutes after a spirited run through the burbs, towing, or a long extended trip. If you listened to Gale Banks you'd just turn the key off and whistle your way to the house. ks
Old 11-25-2005, 09:20 AM

Thanks.
I think that for now Im going to keep an eye on the pyro for cooling down.
but I do appreciate the info.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:36 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
Unless you are racing or towing heavy is a cool down timer really necessary?
Good Question.
I considered getting the ISSPRO one when I bought my gauges. The vendor I bought my stuff from basically talked me out of the turbo timer, stating that his rarely kept the truck running when he stopped. Unless you are going to run a 1/4 mile sprint before you pull up to the grocery store, you'll cool down quick enough through "normal" driving. Now then, I don't have my gauges installed yet, so I can't really talk like I know much of anything on "normal" driving temps. Just going on a salesman talking me out of an additional $100.00 purchase?!
I'm thinking that if you are rolling down the steet with tires spinning and somke rolling, you are getting to wherever you are going soon enough to wait three minutes to shut her down.

Cool to be able to walk away from the truck still running, yes. Will I infact opt for the turbo timer hooked up to the gauge?, We'll see, pyro will tell I guess..........
Old 11-25-2005, 10:50 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
The MSRP for the TST R49 is $899, $50 more than without the Cool Down Timer and Boost control option. I think the Cool Down Timer sold on this site is around $100.
You're right. More information on that one can be found here...

http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/hoco.html
Old 03-22-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Good Question.
I considered getting the ISSPRO one when I bought my gauges. The vendor I bought my stuff from basically talked me out of the turbo timer, stating that his rarely kept the truck running when he stopped. Unless you are going to run a 1/4 mile sprint before you pull up to the grocery store, you'll cool down quick enough through "normal" driving. Now then, I don't have my gauges installed yet, so I can't really talk like I know much of anything on "normal" driving temps. Just going on a salesman talking me out of an additional $100.00 purchase?!
I'm thinking that if you are rolling down the steet with tires spinning and somke rolling, you are getting to wherever you are going soon enough to wait three minutes to shut her down.

Cool to be able to walk away from the truck still running, yes. Will I infact opt for the turbo timer hooked up to the gauge?, We'll see, pyro will tell I guess..........
Not to argue, but I don't buy that at all. I live on a hill, and even though I come up it slow in first gear, my AFTER turbo EGT is over 600F. Even though I switched to Redline synthetic, I know this will do damage, and I got tired of just sitting there for several minutes. (on the flats most anywhere in in Colorado, I never see lower than 500*), so I went with one of Harolds units, and though it took just a bit of sorting through what worked with the electronic door lock on the driver door, I think it is well worth it. Wish I had gone it on day one!
Old 03-22-2006, 04:50 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just going by my truck (cause that's all I have to go on) I ran 119 miles this past weekend, pretty light with only about 2K total trailer and all. From 800 down to 325 took about 45 seconds sitting outside the McDonalds.

Same truck, tandem dump trailer about maxxed out with firewood, short 15 mile trip home in semi "city" traffic to highway speeds, temps up to 1100*, I would estimate it took LESS than 2 minutes to get down to 300.

Not sure what the difference is, but for now I can see no use in me having a timer. I'm not in that big of a hurry in life anyhow, I can listen to the radio for an extra few minutes for free.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:39 PM

Me personally I wouldnt waste my time or money buyin a cooldown timer. Its gonna do the same thing as if you just sat there in the truck for 5 extra mins and let it idle down, and it is recomended that you idle it down for atleast 5 mins. and all you are doing is letting the turbo slow down in rpms before u kill the switch and kill oil pressure to your turbo
Old 03-22-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by JConnKY
Me personally I wouldnt waste my time or money buyin a cooldown timer. Its gonna do the same thing as if you just sat there in the truck for 5 extra mins and let it idle down, and it is recomended that you idle it down for atleast 5 mins. and all you are doing is letting the turbo slow down in rpms before u kill the switch and kill oil pressure to your turbo

You just mentioned the whole point of a turbo cooldown timer.... Not many people wanna sit in there truck and let it cool for 5 minutes when they need to be somewhere, at least i don't. For me, it's deffinately worth the $90...

Quick Reply: Cooldown Timer