3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

cool down timer/security

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool down timer/security

I searched but could not find the answer.

If I add the cool down timer that a lot of you have with the 2, 4 and 6 minute setting will all other things work as in the past. Such as, remote lock...well I don't care about when I get out---but coming back to the truck, when I use the remote will the lights flash? I have lighted running boards, with lights on top and bottom, and I want them to light up when I hit the remote, as they do now, they are wired to the interior lights and stay on for a while when locking or unlocking ht e doors . I also have the security system with the grey key, I don't think that is a problem, just want to be sure.

Here is a simple way to state it. If I install a CDT what will no longer work, or work differently?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:43 PM

I have the CDT and I noticed that with it on and the key out, the radio does not work.
When I use the remote key lock I do not get a flashing sign that my door is locked.
Howevever, when I come back (and truck is off), I get the usual unlock flash from the headlights and interior lights on, etc...
All is normal.
Boss
Old 04-22-2004, 03:51 PM

When the cool-down timer is NOT running and you use the keyless entry system to lock and unlock the door the interior and exterior lights flash to verify the action. When the timer IS running the computer must, because the engine is running, be programed to not flash the lights. The doors will lock and unlock, but the lights will not flash. I have no control over this behavior.

I've kept looking and found this in an old response from Howard, now I'm set for that May birthday.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:39 PM

Why not a oil accumulator that runs oil through the bearing after shut down
Old 04-23-2004, 07:21 AM

Sounds like the trick, don't know about price and owner installability. The cool down timer is economical, easy to install and will do the job. That's a tough combo to beat. Especially for a truck that only ocassionally sees hard work.