3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

convince me i need a smarty?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
convince me i need a smarty?????

i have a pred tuner and a quad x2 box,im running the pred on rkl with no timing and the quad on milage tuning,will i gain anything noticable by upgrading to a smarty?my pred has worked well and i like the x2 and pod but the new revo and tnt tunes on the smarty have me hanging on the fence,keep in mind i will probaly upgrade the truck to a 06 or a 07 5.9 maybe next year,i got a good deal on the 04 i have and i wanted to try a longbox.i probaly should have got a smarty first off as i had one on my 01 before they even made them for the 3rd gens and i liked it.i missed out on a few in the classifieds but now with the new stuff released there probaly wont be to many.has anyone done a similar upgrade that can post results.thanx
Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

to go to the smarty, I would think you would be in the market, or have the money set aside to spend on a clutch, as the power levels and the way they can be tuned, will leave your tires with way more traction that the stock clutch.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 PM

I used to have the predator/puck stack, then with all the new smarty tunes coming out I thought I would give it a try, and now have it stacked with the quad x1 non race. Smarty does not smoke nowhere near as much as the predator. I think the power levels are very similar to the predator. I went with the smarty as I am looking at an 06 or 07 5.9 as well, and I knew that I wanted the smarty on my new truck.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 PM

its probly tha best way to tear up equipment without supporting mods. So yeah yup need one. Actually I would put those moneys toward a new clutch and get yerself setup first. Then down the road trade in some of that stuff you won't be needing anymore.

I hear there is little comparrison in the so3 smerty and the so6.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:27 AM

1) Disable the other stuff, 2) have a friend upload Smarty to your truck 3) convince yourself...... Done deal.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:56 AM

Your set up sounds good, but the hundereds of posters a day on the boards praising the Smarty is worth taking note. No other products come close with praise. You NEVER read anything but positive things. The product is outstanding, customer sevices is great and they are always trying to one up themselves. No need to one up the competition as they were left in the dust a long time ago. The updates and software is free. The cost per horse power is the lowest for any mod you do. Marco and Bob have approaced the Smarty to keep customers for the long haul. Just my $.02
Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 AM

Definitely do the clutch first, I got the smarty first, thinking "I'll just take it easy until I get my clutch", well that is easier said than done. Mine started slipping the next morning. It is very upsetting, because you know you have all this power, but can't get it to the ground
Old 03-16-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by pupeperson
1) Disable the other stuff, 2) have a friend upload Smarty to your truck 3) convince yourself...... Done deal.
ya im hoping to do just that,anyone in bc canada have a smarty i can try?bob do you have any canadian distributors that carry the smarty?bd diesel in vancouver is pretty close,or kelowna bc would be even better,darn smarty and all thier excellent updates.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Spend an hour looking at the smarty threads...should be all you need to convince yourself that it's worth it!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:25 PM

If you need to ask, then you don't need one.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM
trx

I ordered mine from Bob Wagner got it shortly there after from ups that was the easy way. there is a place in nanimo bc that stocks them as well. Dont know if anyone has tried one and not wanted it. Try smartypower.com get ahold of Bob and he will hook you up!!! Clutch will be needed dont be fooled i thought i could run on the lower levels but that was short lived.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:35 PM

ive done tons of reading and the only thing that concerns me is the fact that my ride is a early 04 and the only complaints ive read are from 03-04 owners,there was a few smartys in the classifieds here and 2 i was interested in werre unhappy 03-04 guys,maybe expecting too much i dont know,i like my setup and dont want to change if there will be not much diference,thanx for the replys so far
Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me sum it up for you...get it! I love mine, the power is smoother and the idle is nice and smooth. I run #9 moderate tq and will be adding the mp-8 to the mix. I couldn't be happier. And the updates keep coming (remember when the beta 4.4 was the big thing on the horizon?), and the Mads crew keep upping the bar in customer support. What more could you want?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:19 PM

Well after running the diablo for over a year I ordered a smarty. It lasted a week before going in the classifieds and making a member here with a 600 series very happy. At the time it only made 130hp for our motors, haven't kept up on it, so I don't know what they have with the current programs. It made cruise control unuseable because the throttle is so sensitive, it also idled like a cammed out big block on 7 cylinders. As mentioned above much less smoke, as would be expected for a tune with a lower power rating. The throttle response down low was nice, but not worth the trade off. I don't know about the diablo customer support because I haven't needed it, it just works as designed. If you do buy one though, buy it from here the price was great and Larry worked with me on the shipping so I didn't get killed by duty/brokerage at the border (no UPS!). I don't think they are the answer for the old 555's.

JMHO, John
Old 03-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Ignore as this is just a shameless post to hit 500. Yay me!