3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Convince me to ditch the BDTD and get a Smarty for my 2003 HO

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convince me to ditch the BDTD and get a Smarty for my 2003 HO

If you go by what their websites say, there isn't a compelling reason to go with a Smarty for my 2003. I realize there are higher HP programs but they are for the 04.5+ trucks. Now I read of the 230HP program that might be coming out for the 2003 Smarty. Sounds awesome, but how is is 100HP more than the old version? I am also running a Quad race (pressure box) so if this is just 100HP worth of pressure I don't see a need to replace my BDTD with a Smarty. If it's 100HP from duration, I'll order it Monday!

Any insight?

Andy
Old 12-16-2007, 11:33 AM

whether its pressure or not get the smarty.

You will only see 50hp out of your quad box stacked with a programmer.....so if the programmer gives you 130 + 50 = 180. A 230hp programmer will give you just that.....230 hp.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 PM

I cant believe this is a serious question.

Smarty beats BDDL on 03-04 hands down, no compition.

Like you had to ask.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 PM

I had a power pup stacked with my quad race, and yes I know there's a difference between that and a BDTD....but my smarty with beta 4.4 was tons better than the bully. I cant say for sure, but I'd bet on the Smarty with these 03-04 trucks!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:57 PM

I was gonna sell my predator for the smarty but after trying a friends smarty, I was very easily convinced to keep my predator
Old 12-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned

Heres a few reasons. Bulldog has screwed up a LOT of ecms, 7 at my shop so far. Bob and Marco can fix just about anything to do with an ecm via the smarty. New updates all the time for free with smarty(bullydog has done away with Crazy Larry and you will have to purchase the upgrade next year). And if you are in driving distance of my shop, I've got three trucks here that just went from Bullydogs to Smartys and driving them will definately convince you. One truck had a custom tune from bullydog and I just took it off and put a smarty on and the truck went from pouring black smoke and barely chirping the tires on spoolup to smoking the tires through 3rd gear. Its unbelievable what Marco can do with this downloader.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by realsquash
If you go by what their websites say, there isn't a compelling reason to go with a Smarty for my 2003. I realize there are higher HP programs but they are for the 04.5+ trucks. Now I read of the 230HP program that might be coming out for the 2003 Smarty. Sounds awesome, but how is is 100HP more than the old version? I am also running a Quad race (pressure box) so if this is just 100HP worth of pressure I don't see a need to replace my BDTD with a Smarty. If it's 100HP from duration, I'll order it Monday!

Any insight?

Andy

lots of insight...

oh.. yha.. just do it.. trust me....
no exact info on how the extra power is made, but it sounds like its not actualy injecting alot more fuel, its doing it more eficently so it actualy burns the fuel rather than dumping smoke. this would explane why some testers saw much higher than the 230hp gain. as allways, hp ratings are conservitive from marco, not exagerated like other vendors. just for example , from what i see it takes about 150 of buddies hp to equal only 100 hp of the italian stalions..
Old 12-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Blacksdieselhp
Heres a few reasons. Bulldog has screwed up a LOT of ecms, 7 at my shop so far. Bob and Marco can fix just about anything to do with an ecm via the smarty. New updates all the time for free with smarty(bullydog has done away with Crazy Larry and you will have to purchase the upgrade next year). And if you are in driving distance of my shop, I've got three trucks here that just went from Bullydogs to Smartys and driving them will definately convince you. One truck had a custom tune from bullydog and I just took it off and put a smarty on and the truck went from pouring black smoke and barely chirping the tires on spoolup to smoking the tires through 3rd gear. Its unbelievable what Marco can do with this downloader.
The best possible scenario would be to try one first :-) IIRC you're in Wisconsin somewhere? I would be up for a drive!

For what it's worth, I loaded up Crazy Larry when it was released for the 305hp trucks (2.4.1) and it wasn't much better than extreme.

Andy
Old 12-16-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by realsquash

For what it's worth, I loaded up Crazy Larry when it was released for the 305hp trucks (2.4.1) and it wasn't much better than extreme.

Andy

Impossible BD never made CL for 03-04.

The only thing close to the Smarty on 03-04 is the Diablo Predetor but Diablo's customer service is non-existant, and leaves you out in the cold if you ever have a problem.

The Smarty has the best customer service of any part you will ever put on your truck. If your truck even has one hicup Bob or Macro will personally fix it to make you happy or will refund you.

And how can you beat a 30 day try before you buy, and new softwares updated every month.

There's just something cool about the ability to download new or custom software off the internet and then download them into your truck in less then 10 minutes

I wish Bob and Marco would sell and produce other parts because there so good at taking care of customers.

Here's what the newest software did for my 03

http://www.youtube.com/dieseldan420ca

Old 12-16-2007, 06:49 PM

Very nice slow....wish i had some roads around here i could test the top speed limit on....
Old 12-16-2007, 11:03 PM

The BDTD on my truck has bumped the rev limiter and top speed as well. I was thrashing my truck today and saw 3500 many times, under full power.

Crazy Larry was released for the 03/04 with version 2.4.1 and that's right from Buddy on this very forum. It's not as strong as the 04.5+ CL, but for the same reason I expect the Smarty not to be. That's why I ask how the Smarty is accomplishing that 230hp on the 03/04 models.

Andy
Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 AM

PPE or a TST will give even mre hp.

Do you want max HP or something that's going to give you the best driveability?

There more powerful stacks out there for 03-04 then the +230hp smarty program. Heck nobody's ever driven the 230hp.

Besides it rwhp gains on the lowest rated hp cummins 03 SO.

Diablo/JA is also a powerful stack on 03-04.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 AM

I have had 4 different ones and only one not to give me any problems was the smarty so far. and i like the fact that there is no trace.Up hre in canada they are brutal at the ******* for any warranty work. How can u tell me that my CIA made my ball joint wear out.I have had good luck so far and the power on my 03 is way better than before and it actually cleans up compared to the BDTD i used to have or the BDdielsel downloader.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:42 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
PPE or a TST will give even mre hp.

Do you want max HP or something that's going to give you the best driveability?

There more powerful stacks out there for 03-04 then the +230hp smarty program. Heck nobody's ever driven the 230hp.

Besides it rwhp gains on the lowest rated hp cummins 03 SO.

Diablo/JA is also a powerful stack on 03-04.
WHich Smarty version(along w/ MP8) were you running on the 439/907 run? I ran the Smarty 4.4SL alone for 440/932. I'd like to see some dyno #s from some of the other guys w/03-04s and DLs only(no injectors). I don't think I've seen better results w/ just a DL and an 03-04 engine out of another DL w/ proof(dyno). Or maybe my memory is real bad??? What is the Diablo dynoing?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tcr
WHich Smarty version(along w/ MP8) were you running on the 439/907 run? I ran the Smarty 4.4SL alone for 440/932. I'd like to see some dyno #s from some of the other guys w/03-04s and DLs only(no injectors). I don't think I've seen better results w/ just a DL and an 03-04 engine out of another DL w/ proof(dyno). Or maybe my memory is real bad??? What is the Diablo dynoing?
I dyno'd 446/888 with beta 4.2 with power puck stacked (90hp setting) with the rest of my stuff in sig (banks disconnected) stock stixs. This was the same dyno as slow six speed about an hour apart.

Quick Reply: Convince me to ditch the BDTD and get a Smarty for my 2003 HO