3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

control arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baja_Mike
I've built 2 championship winning off road race vehicles and numerous others and have tried making urethane bushings work on one of them because it progressed up from a stock based class. Urethane bushings are only marginally better than the stock rubber. If you're going to spend the money to make the jump I just think the money is better spent on superior joints. Just my opinion.
Agreed....to a point. Depends alot on the application. I'd say the urethane bushings are alot better than the rubber just because of the way the factory rubber bushings work. The factory bushings are vulcanized to the steel on the ID and OD, so all the axial and torsional movement comes from the rubber itself. With the poly, the bushing actually rotates on the ID sleeve. I set mine up with zerks and keep em greased. Not sure what material DT is using for the bushings....it seems to be a little soft for a nylon/poly hybrid, but so far the grease hasn't degraded the poly yet.

I had the option of going with a spherical joint on both ends, but since my truck is primarily street driven I didn't want to deal with NVH issues and maintenance requirements associated with an RE style joint. Keep in mind I only have 2 pick up points in my front end as opposed to 4 in the 4 link suspension. My RA setup was basically an educated stab at addressing the problems inherent in the 4 link front, and it turned out it worked really well.

Having said that, the biggest thing will hold me back from doing a similar setup on the 3rd gen I get next year is the fully boxed frame....not sure I want to weld to it and crush sleeves are absolutely out of the question.

Most likely I'll do Sage's 3" system until the front end problems start (if they ever do) and then look at RA's again.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:42 PM

Weld on...there is a way!

Gussets and the right wire, shield, and amp/volt!

Anyways...are you saying DW is THE inherent problem or????

Like I said...I have 115k with big tires/lift and like to drive fast over all conditions...and maybe I got lucky, but I have not worn out a single component. I must have gotten the numerical odds freak!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 PM

well I pulled the trigger on the arms. I can say they are very well built and work much better than stock. I would have loved to have carlis arms but I am already WAY over budget on this **** ride. For the money they cant be beat. Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by usedtostrokeit
well I pulled the trigger on the arms. I can say they are very well built and work much better than stock. I would have loved to have carlis arms but I am already WAY over budget on this **** ride. For the money they cant be beat. Thanks for all the input.
Did you get a hold of David? He's pretty hard to nail down. Did you get the 1/2" longer arms?

Like I said...I have 115k with big tires/lift and like to drive fast over all conditions...and maybe I got lucky, but I have not worn out a single component. I must have gotten the numerical odds freak!
Folks said that about the 180K I got out of my original trans and the 243K I got out of my original front wheels bearings (running 37's no less). Bearings were still good, I just didn't want to wait for 'em to fail.