3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

compound turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Setrab 640 M22I 3 Pass.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mpracehemi
What about mounting a cooler under the truck, say by the trans crossmember.........

You can get thermo contr fan assisted,that would work.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:20 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Got Juice?
Setrab 640 M22I 3 Pass.
Got a link for that?
Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM

http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/Setrab%20USA%20ProLine.pdf Catalog

http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/ProLine-Dims-Apps.pdf
Old 09-19-2008, 11:25 AM

10X12... kinda overkill, but it is a passive cooler. I bet on a hot day towing, my 280F oil temps would fall to 240F.

And there would be a small water temp drop too.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of MPG are you guys getting both empty and towing?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bombed24v
what kind of MPG are you guys getting both empty and towing?
Are you sure you want to open that can of worms?

Ask 100 people and you'll probably get 101 different answers.

Mileage posts on the internet are similar to fishing stories at the bar.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:03 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by jrussell
Are you sure you want to open that can of worms?

Ask 100 people and you'll probably get 101 different answers.

Mileage posts on the internet are similar to fishing stories at the bar.
Yah our twins will give you an extra 15MPG and the drop in egts was this ...........big....

There are so many different things that affect mileage it is really almost impossible to compare one setup to another unless it is used on the same truck/ same load same blah blah blah.. You know the story.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Got Juice?
LOL, the factory gauge for water temps LIES!

I have an Isspro in the head.... and even towing at 380RWHP temps get higher on the gauge than what shows on the dash. As well, oil return temps are in the 280F range.... Water temp 220F
Add oil pressure to levels that may surprise you!

This past summer I decided to try towing with everything turned up from the normal ~425 HP at which I towed. I put the TNT on #7 and only had 8,000 lbs behind me on windy hills and stop-and-go traffic.

The whole time EGT were ~1100* tops, but I was really suprised to see the oil pressure on my manual gauge drop to 40 psi from a normal 60-65 psi. Water temps reached ~225*. While the pressure still was in excess of the 10 psi/1000 rpm rule-of-thumb, it still worried me enough to back off.

The Smarty timing - sure it helps the EGT, but it just adds more heat to the cylinder. Couple that with the piston oil cooling jets already working hard leaves the cooling system and oil to try to absorb the heat.

I guess this would be a good argument for synthetic oil? I don't run synthetic oil, but what about anyone else that tows with things turned up?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd say that drop in oil pressure is simply due to the oil getting so thin at scary high oil temps. I'd bet oil temps were 250+, maybe ++.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the factory lube pump is sized to feed a single journal bearing turbo. If you add a second journal bearing turbo that has almost double the oil flow requirement, then what?

IMO, this is one benefit of the Garrett BB turbo(s) that doesn't get much attention. The BB turbos have an oil restrictor in the feed that drastically reduces lube flow to the turbos. They simply don't need much oil.

Remember-- oil that's going to the turbo is oil that's NOT going to the bearings and to the piston squirters. We all know what happens when the squirters don't move enough oil up to the pistons.

So I don't see this so much as a case for synthetic oil (though synthetic are known to do well at elevated temps), but more of a case for BB turbos.

Or, a case for thicker oil. If you're not comfortable with the loss of oil pressure, a thicker 50 weight oil can hang on a little longer at elevated temps. Of course, there's no free lunch with the thicker oil. The thicker oil will tend to have lower flow rates, and actually carry away LESS heat because the flow is less.

I'd be willing to bet that 40psi is nothing to fear at all. We run 40psi on ISXs all the time, and the dyno is punishing them brutally. Cummins uses the same bearing load limits on all engines, so if an ISX is good at 40psi, so is an ISB.

JH
Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting post...
Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 PM

**THREAD DETOUR**

What's the factory lube pump flow spec?

Would it follow that pressures are affected even more by adding a bypass oil filtration system to a high HP compound turbo truck?

Do any of the OTR type trucks come with BB turbos as OEM spec?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
...Yours might spool faster...
I'm as guilty as the next guy for talking about how "X spools fast" or "Y has no lag", but I think what be interesting is for each to dyno their set-up and then plot HP versus time. Then measure the amount of time it takes to go from say 200 HP to 600 HP. If you could have a boost data logger connected to overlay onto these curves, then all the better.

Also, how do people define "spool"?

1) Just starting to register any boost?
2) When the boost rise curve has a dramatic inflection point - like say a large single turbo truck from 0-10 psi versus 10+ psi?
3) Plain and simply: how quick from 0-50 psi?
Old 09-20-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cquestad
No one has really towed with 500+....

Pedal to the floor? That is the difference. I leave my settings on my daily of 650-670 and tow all day...but I never (well almost...lol) mat the pedal. So maybe I reallu only USE 300-400 hp.

When I tow I just leave everything on kill....like I do daily. I love the way it drives and responds. IM not making near the power you are though! So far no problems.

But if you drive reasonable and baby the throttle, I don't see any reason to turn down the Smarty, boxes, etc. Am I missing something?

Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JStieger
**THREAD DETOUR**

What's the factory lube pump flow spec?

Would it follow that pressures are affected even more by adding a bypass oil filtration system to a high HP compound turbo truck?

Do any of the OTR type trucks come with BB turbos as OEM spec?
Lube pump flow spec is out there somewhere, but I don't have it.

A bypass system doesn't flow nearly as much oil as a large primary charger would need. Compared to adding the big charger, I'd say a bypass setup is of low consequence.

BB chargers are not in use by any OEM that I am aware of. I suspect that the reliability under abuse conditions is not enough to satisfy an oem. Even supposing a BB charger can reliably go 150K miles, the oems shoot for much higher durability levels-- 150K is unacceptably low.

You have to keep it in the context of quality and process capability. When you build a lot of engines, even "low" failure rates are too high. Cummins quality targets are far more stringent than even 1% failure rate.

Those of you with Six Sigma knowedge experience know what I'm talking about.

I don't know what the reliability rate of a BB charger actually is, over the long haul. I think there's a good chance they could last 100K or more. But my personal level of comfort with a 100K life is orders of magnitude less stringent than any OEM would accept.

Don't expect to see a BB charger anytime soon from an OEM-- the cost is too high, reliability is too low for what an OEM wants.

As a performance enthusiast, I have radically different pririorities than an OEM.

JH

Quick Reply: compound turbo setup